diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

You install the N-G bond ahead of the inverter in a main panel. This is the first disconnect device after the meter. The inverter will pass thru ground not bonded to neutral when in grid bypass mode.

The inverter will automatically bond N-G when under inverter power. It is the source and where N-G needs to be.
Once I get the 6awg in I will give it a try and see how it goes.

That was a long thread appears they state 21-22amps but others reporting much less.
I have two of them, one does 16.9A, and the other 17A. Signature Solar is aware of the problem, and working on a solution.
I tried to do a firmware update on the Growatt Dongle, and seems that it's bricked now, so not happy, we have a sunny day today, and I "deployed" some of my solar panels by propping them against the garage ( waiting for spring to get them mounted ), and I am at work and I can't check on them to see how is going. Sorry for the rambling.

I have two of them, one does 16.9A, and the other 17A. Signature Solar is aware of the problem, and working on a solution.
I tried to do a firmware update on the Growatt Dongle, and seems that it's bricked now, so not happy, we have a sunny day today, and I "deployed" some of my solar panels by propping them against the garage ( waiting for spring to get them mounted ), and I am at work and I can't check on them to see how is going. Sorry for the rambling.
Found the the right link, started searching for other chargers:

Last edited:
Wires came in so I can move forward with testing later today. Finally two days of sunlight and I have so much production. Turned the heat up and down stairs, caught up on cleaning, washing. Even did handmade pizza as it takes roughly an hour at 500 and still 100+ amps positive. The short days plus clouds just ruin the production.

Attachments

• P2100331.JPG
    P2100331.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 5
Just saw the update for solar assistant one new feature is battery discharge. That is decently accurate, batrium was showing I used 32% since 12:00 am last night.

Attachments

• solar assistant 1.jpg
    solar assistant 1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 6
  • fully charged easily today.jpg
    fully charged easily today.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 7
Was able to test with the sub panel and if failed to function properly. Was up and running fine in off grid and took it down. Moved one 15-amp breaker and nothing else over. New 6awg neutral installed and both legs on the subpanel were 119v. Flipped the 15-amp breaker and leg 1 showed 89v, leg 2 showed 141v. Was functioning fine on the main panel with that breaker. The only change is that the netrual is not bonded and the inveter requires this?

Attachments

• P2110334.JPG
    P2110334.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P2110333.JPG
    P2110333.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P2110332.JPG
    P2110332.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Talked to tech support at signature, but was told to install the 5k split phase and that would fix the issues. So I will order that and give it a try. Not to familiar with it and currently reading up on it since it talks about min max delta on the legs.

This is what confuses me some as that is not a whole lot of power:
and the power difference between the two split phases can not exceed 2.5kW.

Perfect for use with the Growatt 5kW ES off-grid inverter, which can be purchased: Here.
  • ATS-US comes with a built-in transformer
  • ATS 5000T -US has a maximum sum of L1-N and L2-N simultaneous output is 5000VA
  • Please note, the maximum imbalance between L1/L2 is 2500W (E.g. 1250/3750 L1/L2) purchase two if you believe your needs will exceed
  • Maximum continuous power is 5kW for energy storage
  • PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH. THIS PIECE OF EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN CREATED FOR THE U.S. MARKET AND THAT FUNCTION HAS BEEN REMOVED.
FULL SPEC / OVERVIEW
MANUAL / QUICK START GUIDE

UL CERTIFICATE
*The rated power of secondary side L1-N and L2-N can be up to 5kVA respectively, and the power difference between the two split phases can not exceed 2.5kW.

Last edited:
Here's a diagram that Alex from signaturesolar had sent, it helps to show how to wire the transformer and breakers. But my inverter wiring will be very different.

wiring diagram 5k with grid..jpg

And if the autotransformer breaker trips?
Well I told them what loads would be on the subpanel and they said it would work. If it did trip my thought would be to watch the loads and try to balance them better.

Last edited:
Found this vid on the split phase, its way bigger than I thought, he seems to worry about loads and heat.

Talked to tech support at signature, but was told to install the 5k split phase and that would fix the issues. So I will order that and give it a try. Not to familiar with it and currently reading up on it since it talks about min max delta on the legs.

Hang on, you have an SPF12000 which is a transformer output inverter and they want you to buy another transformer to fix this issue ????
That is so totally bonkers wrong, stupid wrong.
They think that autotransformer is the answer to world poverty.

Some how your 15a 120v breaker circuit is missing its neutral. Not sure how, this thread is long and winding.
Maybe start a new one with present situation.

Last edited:

Perfect for use with the Growatt 5kW ES off-grid inverter, which can be purchased: Here.
  • ATS-US comes with a built-in transformer
  • ATS 5000T -US has a maximum sum of L1-N and L2-N simultaneous output is 5000VA
  • Please note, the maximum imbalance between L1/L2 is 2500W (E.g. 1250/3750 L1/L2) purchase two if you believe your needs will exceed
  • Maximum continuous power is 5kW for energy storage
  • PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH. THIS PIECE OF EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN CREATED FOR THE U.S. MARKET AND THAT FUNCTION HAS BEEN REMOVED.
FULL SPEC / OVERVIEW
MANUAL / QUICK START GUIDE

UL CERTIFICATE
*The rated power of secondary side L1-N and L2-N can be up to 5kVA respectively, and the power difference between the two split phases can not exceed 2.5kW.
the spec sheet for that part says the max imbalance is 1500VA

Hang on, you have an SPF12000 which is a transformer output inverter and they want you to buy another transformer to fix this issue ????
That is so totally bonkers wrong, stupid wrong.
They think that autotransformer is the answer to world poverty.

Some how your 15a 120v breaker circuit is missing its neutral. Not sure how, this thread is long and winding.
Maybe start a new one with present situation.
The spf12 needs the n/g bond to function and this what they tell me would allow it to run a on sub panel.

Back