diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

They have been sitting at almost 16kw for some time and the flow through is excellent from the fans. Compared to the 4 eg6500's with small loads these are very quiet. I will keep adding loads and see how they do. It's very interesting to watch the panel sag in real time.

Attachments

• very quite 18k.png
    very quite 18k.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 6
I did more back-and-forth testing and the difference is within the margin of error. Wish I could test between 198v and 360v but that would require too much work. I need to look at the Victron units to see what they say is the preferred voltages. Keeping the current arrays as is means I could keep the growatts sccs and growatt 12k inverters and have complete redundant backups. I plan to move all I can to the 18kpvs and maybe do the next two arrays at a higher voltage.

Last edited:
I think the PV array will proffer whatever voltage it feels like. Regardless of what the inverter/SCC prefers.
I had to rewire all my arrays a while back as 2s would cause the growatts to error out under higher loads. Per the 18kpv manual, they cannot track under 120v, the lowest reported today was 154v under load. I try to record the pv voltage under loads when we get clouds/rain to see what happens.

Few more victron 450/200 pictures.

Attachments

• P3110386.JPG
    P3110386.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P3110385.JPG
    P3110385.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P3110384.JPG
    P3110384.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P3110383.JPG
    P3110383.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 5
  • P3110382.JPG
    P3110382.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P3110381.JPG
    P3110381.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P3110380.JPG
    P3110380.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P3110379.JPG
    P3110379.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P3110377.JPG
    P3110377.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 6
Few issues with testing the 18kpv:
1. Nearing the cutoff at 54.0v, I wanted to ensure it did not go over. It did not stop charging; I waited to see, but even at 54.30, it had not stopped.
3. The Comms tab is not currently available in the monitor interface for user-defined battery settings. I was told they were working on adding it in.

I checked Batrium firmware updates and saw they moved to beta on remote access. I had not updated the firmware in a long time, but it all went smoothly. Web provisioning was straightforward, and the BMI interface was updated quickly. WebAccess through the toolkit is currently unusable due to the slow refresh rates.

Attachments

• batrium 2.png
    batrium 2.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 3
  • batrium 1.png
    batrium 1.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 3
I want to build two more 4p16s banks and am still deciding what to use. I'm not too familiar with anything other than Batrium. I found these and was wondering if they would work in parallel. Each one is connected to a 4p16 and then paralleled together. I just checked and would be short on the copper busbars but I may switch to aluminum as I can go wider and thicker to make up the difference.

It seems like a BMS can be paralleled; a few threads say it causes issues.

Yea tons of us run JK BMS in parallel. I can't even comprehend how it'd actually know and or not work. Once stuff is connected to a bus bar it's "parallel"
They'll drain and charge at the same rate assuming there's not something wrong or some throttling or some vastly different wire/cable lengths
Just put fuses and or breakers on each individual line and you're good.

I want to build two more 4p16s banks and am still deciding what to use. I'm not too familiar with anything other than Batrium. I found these and was wondering if they would work in parallel. Each one is connected to a 4p16 and then paralleled together. I just checked and would be short on the copper busbars but I may switch to aluminum as I can go wider and thicker to make up the difference.

The only "issue" I've had with 3 JBD in parallel is SOC drifts over time due to not being able to read low currents accurately.

Yea tons of us run JK BMS in parallel. I can't even comprehend how it'd actually know and or not work. Once stuff is connected to a bus bar it's "parallel"
They'll drain and charge at the same rate assuming there's not something wrong or some throttling or some vastly different wire/cable lengths
I appreciate the responses; I assumed it would work. Looking at EG4/SOK batteries, they would essentially be the same as what I would like to build. But I do want to assume and make an expensive mistake.

That’s a lot of parallel cells in a pack.

I don’t do that just because you cannot tell which cell is degraded if you lose one.
I suppose you could pull apart all 4 cells in parallel.

Personal thing I guess.

I just made 10 x 16s batteries.
If I get funky reading can just turn it off and troubleshoot pretty easy.

The JKs have not given me any trouble but you will have 2 different systems at that point.

You can get another core and maybe run more than 1 shunt or run them all together.

It’s all in how you want to deal with it.

That’s a lot of parallel cells in a pack.

I don’t do that just because you cannot tell which cell is degraded if you lose one.
I suppose you could pull apart all 4 cells in parallel.

Personal thing I guess.

I just made 10 x 16s batteries.
If I get funky reading can just turn it off and troubleshoot pretty easy.

The JKs have not given me any trouble but you will have 2 different systems at that point.

You can get another core and maybe run more than 1 shunt or run them all together.

It’s all in how you want to deal with it.
In hindsight, I should have gone with a different BMS and built something like 2p16s banks, which would have given me more redundancy.

My tests on moving arrays over to the 18kpv are still ongoing. Support has logged in twice now, and I have sent videos, but I cannot get the 18kpv to stop charging. Everything is set to stop at 54v, but it just keeps charging.

My tests on moving arrays over to the 18kpv are still ongoing. Support has logged in twice now, and I have sent videos, but I cannot get the 18kpv to stop charging. Everything is set to stop at 54v, but it just keeps charging.
Disconnect comms and go user mode with voltage?

I'm still looking over BMS options and it would be great to find one with Wi-Fi. Looked for a bluetooth bridge/hub, but that would be
it would be a complete gamble on working.

Daly BMS talks about a parallel expansion protector, I'm not sure why they could not go to a busbar. But they have a wifi module.
https://www.dalybms.com/daly-smart-...ng-display-for-low-speed-car-rv-boat-product/

The third cart has arrived; I got these from Zoro. They have slowed down on coupons, but if you wait, they always send a 20/25% out.
I contacted five different suppliers for batteries and decided to go with 18650batterystore.

Attachments

• P3190406.JPG
    P3190406.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P3190405.JPG
    P3190405.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 4
18650store Sent my tracking, which shows 1400 lbs. There is no delivery date yet, but I will take lots of pictures and update you on how they look. I moved everything around to fit the new cart, so each inverter gets 120kwh. I suspect the time-consuming part will be balancing the arrays across all three banks.

Attachments

• P3190408.JPG
    P3190408.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 5
Back