diy solar

diy solar

Victron 12/1200 Phoenix inverter blinking red & green LED

Logan 979

Victron 12/1200 Phoenix inverter blinking red & green LED. both green & red blinking. I have ordered a VE direct dongle.

Had a AC refrigerator plugged in for 2 weeks all was good. The other night fridge shut off & Inverter lights started blinking. Inverter will not re-boot. Batteries had adequate juice.

I would disconnect power and let it sit for a minute, then reconnect.does it power up without the load. I have the same inverter running a large freezer for 8 months or so, no problems

What battery? Probably shut downdue to low voltage. Get battery charged back up and try again

Our Victron 24V 1200VAC worked for a while but shutdown from low voltage numerous times trying to get some bad batteries to work, led to complete dysfunction. I contacted Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. It took weeks to get a new inverter.

I had the dongle from the beginning; was told to be sure the firmware was up to date. It was.

Our Victron 24V 1200VAC worked for a while but shutdown from low voltage numerous times trying to get some bad batteries to work, led to complete dysfunction. I contacted Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. It took weeks to get a new inverter.

I had the dongle from the beginning; was told to be sure the firmware was up to date. It was.
after dongle update did it give you an error code ? TY

I bought the dongle along with the inverter. Directions specify there will be updates when the dongle is first used. The Phoenix inverters are described by the tech person at Northern Arizona as being pretty straightforward. There were never any error codes with our inverter. There is a way to send Victron via email some kind of performance report but users are not able to read it. I sent a that report to Northern Arizona but got nothing from them as to its usefulness. What I got from tech was Victron units might rarely be dead on arrival but for it to fail as ours did is unusual.

Victron wants you to go through the vendor you purchased for service/warranty. The tech person walked me through several tests over the phone where I used a multimeter. He also had me confirm parameter settings were default and firmware was up to date from the dongle connection. Then he submitted a warranty claim with Victron. Less than a week later I got a call from another person from Northern Arizona informing me that Victron will send a new unit. I did not argue about paying the shipping for the new inverter, choosing the least expensive option. Northern Arizona kicked in the additional amount for 2 day shipping, apparently. The new one functions just fine so far.

I was hoping to tap into the great minds here on diysolarforum to see if the defective inverter might be brought to life, but got a little snoot directed towards me (could have been partly how I explained the tribulations with the bad batteries but probably the simple, rather crude methods I used without BMS and such raised some ire) so put that on pause.

Wondering where you got your inverter and how long you have had it.

I bought the dongle along with the inverter. Directions specify there will be updates when the dongle is first used. The Phoenix inverters are described by the tech person at Northern Arizona as being pretty straightforward. There were never any error codes with our inverter. There is a way to send Victron via email some kind of performance report but users are not able to read it. I sent a that report to Northern Arizona but got nothing from them as to its usefulness. What I got from tech was Victron units might rarely be dead on arrival but for it to fail as ours did is unusual.

Victron wants you to go through the vendor you purchased for service/warranty. The tech person walked me through several tests over the phone where I used a multimeter. He also had me confirm parameter settings were default and firmware was up to date from the dongle connection. Then he submitted a warranty claim with Victron. Less than a week later I got a call from another person from Northern Arizona informing me that Victron will send a new unit. I did not argue about paying the shipping for the new inverter, choosing the least expensive option. Northern Arizona kicked in the additional amount for 2 day shipping, apparently. The new one functions just fine so far.

I was hoping to tap into the great minds here on diysolarforum to see if the defective inverter might be brought to life, but got a little snoot directed towards me (could have been partly how I explained the tribulations with the bad batteries but probably the simple, rather crude methods I used without BMS and such raised some ire) so put that on pause.

Wondering where you got your inverter and how long you have had it.
NAWS, waiting on the dongle to move forward.

I remember equally alternating slow blinking, but I can hook it up if that would make a difference. I did send Logan several images and short videos of the blinking and screenshots of the phone app. He was helpful yet vigilant in support of Northern Arizona (NAWS), I was upfront. My case had the complication of lousy batteries causing numerous Low Voltage Disconnects.

I remember equally alternating slow blinking, but I can hook it up if that would make a difference. I did send Logan several images and short videos of the blinking and screenshots of the phone app. He was helpful yet vigilant in support of Northern Arizona (NAWS), I was upfront. My case had the complication of lousy batteries causing numerous Low Voltage Disconnects.
yes I too am dealing with Logan and Jason NAWS both helpful and knowledgable. Will hopefully have this resolved early next year. Thanks for the topic engagement.

DBL checked my refrigerator usage on our kilowatt meter past few day's. 1.22 KWH over 24 hr period.
50.83 watts. 101.66 AH

12/1200 Phoenix inverter. 2 100 AH BattleBorn lithium batteries 800 watts of solar panels,150/60 controller all Viltron components. This system should be adequate for just the Refrigerator correct ?

Last edited:
Sounds like a plenty powerful system except for more storage depending on cloud frequency (from these simpleton eyes; hoping more experienced members will view these posts). Do you know how many cloudy days you typically get in winter? What area are you located?

The dongle is required for that invertor to communicate with an Android or iPhone app. Hopefully you know someone with a compatible phone that can download the Victron app for analysis. It is easy and can be deleted after.

Sounds like a plenty powerful system except for more storage depending on cloud frequency (from these simpleton eyes; hoping more experienced members will view these posts). Do you know how many cloudy days you typically get in winter? What area are you located?

The dongle is required for that invertor to communicate with an Android or iPhone app. Hopefully you know someone with a compatible phone that can download the Victron app for analysis. It is easy and can be deleted after.

Back