diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

Loving my 48/1200. I was having an issue where my $1500 Delta 2 max with a rating of 1800W/2400VA couldn't start my propane dryer. Would shutoff with overload warning at startup. Was thinking I'd need a multiplus 3000VA to get the job done. But hooked up my $330 48/1200 to two 24V 100A batteries in series and it started the dryer no problem, no overload beep or anything. I knew the Victron inverters with transformers had a reputation for strong surge performance but this has exceeded my wildest expectations.

20240324_151044.jpg

Cheap batteries and my latest Eurotrash purchase. I'm going to build a cart to drag it around the yard.View attachment 204022
Finally got the cheap batteries charged up ... it took a couple of tries at a low charge rate to get one of them to fully charge. I guess I'll do a discharge test soon.

The VE Direct Bluetooth dongle came in and I tested the inverter and charger. Now need to work out the layout.

Been dealing with a bum knee so I've been doing this in my office, sitting on a chair.

As I dug through boxes of spare parts for fuses and bus bars I realized this morning I never would have thought to do this in the house with lead acid batteries.View attachment 204843
Careful leaving inverter on top of cardboard box. Fire hazard.

Careful leaving inverter on top of cardboard box. Fire hazard.
Relax. I haven't even heard the fan come on yet. I'm just testing it here using low loads. I want to make sure all of the components work before I start laying out the cart frame. (but it did run a vacuum cleaner for a few minutes)

My Quattro didn't ignite the cardboard box it was "mounted" on for the first year or so... :)
I have built computers where the direct circuitry of the motherboard was sitting directly against cardboard and enclosed and covered up in that same cardboard box and had it run 24/7 for weeks at a time before.

(Back in the day I had a system where all the components arrived except for my computer case, so I built a temporary enclosure out of a cardboard box while my back-ordered PC case arrived)

I have built computers where the direct circuitry of the motherboard was sitting directly against cardboard and enclosed and covered up in that same cardboard box and had it run 24/7 for weeks at a time before.

(Back in the day I had a system where all the components arrived except for my computer case, so I built a temporary enclosure out of a cardboard box while my back-ordered PC case arrived)
I've done that many times. Once when I was short a case I build a computer with the motherboard and other components screwed to a piece of plywood and tied together with zip ties.

Re: the cardboard box and fire hazard discussion ... As an old fart in a tiny rural community who still volunteers to get pulled out of bed to drive a fire truck to someone's house in the middle of the night, hoping we can save it (and praying everyone got out before we get there), I can confidently say that I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, yeah, I thought that would happen." On the other hand, I've certainly heard, "But we did (whatever) for years and never had a problem, until this!" So, just sayin'...

Goodness knows I've done a lot of things that, looking back, probably weren't the best plan, so really not intending to call anyone out. But on the other hand, I've probably had my rear end saved more than once by someone kindly pointing out something I probably needed to address. OK, old man preaching over. Resume normal programming. I just value the good folks here, and don't want anyone to suffer a preventable loss. And I like my sleep!

Re: the cardboard box and fire hazard discussion ... As an old fart in a tiny rural community who still volunteers to get pulled out of bed to drive a fire truck to someone's house in the middle of the night, hoping we can save it (and praying everyone got out before we get there), I can confidently say that I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, yeah, I thought that would happen." On the other hand, I've certainly heard, "But we did (whatever) for years and never had a problem, until this!" So, just sayin'...

Goodness knows I've done a lot of things that, looking back, probably weren't the best plan, so really not intending to call anyone out. But on the other hand, I've probably had my rear end saved more than once by someone kindly pointing out something I probably needed to address. OK, old man preaching over. Resume normal programming. I just value the good folks here, and don't want anyone to suffer a preventable loss. And I like my sleep!
I wasn't going to say anything else on it after suggesting it might be unwise but you mentioning the fire I will share a bit of why I'm a bit on the cautious side.

My home burned down many years ago from an electrical fire. The wiring in the wall failed and flames came out of the wall from it.
It was a mobile home in a trailer park we had bought not long after getting married. LONG time ago :)

The time it took for my wife and I to make it to the front door the fire which started at the very back of the trailer was at the front door. When she opened the front door to get the fire extinguisher from the car the fire moved towards that door at an amazing rate.

When she handed me the first extinguisher and I turned around the fire was at my face. Needless to say that place was gone.

We lost everything day after Christmas. Kids new toys and all. POOF.

I'm pretty paranoid about fire now. But most don't share this outlook so I just suggest stuff from time to time and if they listen great. If they don't... well I tried :)

It is a little bit chilly in my office this morning. I have only run it while I am in the room so far. I can reach over from my chair and put my hand on it ... the Victron is running for about an hour just powering the computer and network gear, so about 140VA continuous. It isn't even warm enough to warm my feet if I wanted to use it as a foot stool.

It is a little bit chilly in my office this morning. I have only run it while I am in the room so far. I can reach over from my chair and put my hand on it ... the Victron is running for about an hour just powering the computer and network gear, so about 140VA continuous. It isn't even warm enough to warm my feet if I wanted to use it as a foot stool.
As you approach 1000 and beyond you'll notice the humming/vibration. Fan noise wasn't really objectionable to me, not high pitched or anything like that.

Back