diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

LOL. So apparently all Voltronic inverters are difficult to upgrade the firmware on - because of your ONE anecdotal experience...

I upgraded the firmware on my two Voltacon V7 inverters with no problem at all, via a USB cable with 15m of extension USB cables, straight into my PC.

From what I've seen, it's quite a palaver to get a Epever MPPT communicating with a PC...

On the subject of cost.. I can't believe how cheap Victron has gone now!

Just ordered a 250/70 for £430.
5kva Multiplus II is now £1300 with a free cerbo included
Multiplus II is also on offer for buy 2 and get 1 free, that is £2600 for 15kva of 3 phase power :love:

Just in time for a marine solar setup I'm designing for a friend, all the kit ordered at way less than standard price.

On the subject of cost.. I can't believe how cheap Victron has gone now!

Just ordered a 250/70 for £430.
5kva Multiplus II is now £1300 with a free cerbo included
Multiplus II is also on offer for buy 2 and get 1 free, that is £2600 for 15kva of 3 phase power :love:

Just in time for a marine solar setup I'm designing for a friend, all the kit ordered at way less than standard price.
trow in a couple of these and you have a elceapo system :)

I stopped reading this thread around page 10 because of all the BS. This may have been mentioned. It's actually ON TOPIC!!

From the 250 Manual, section 6.1
"The solar charger will commence battery charging as soon as the PV voltage is 5V higher than the battery voltage. For charging

to continue, the PV voltage must remain at least 1V higher than the battery voltage."

This is a big advantage during early morning, late afternoon, cloudy and rainy days.

48V Starts charging at 53V solar vs 120V which seems to be the norm for higher voltage SCCs.

I stopped reading this thread around page 10 because of all the BS. This may have been mentioned. It's actually ON TOPIC!!

"The solar charger will commence battery charging as soon as the PV voltage is 5V higher than the battery voltage. For charging

to continue, the PV voltage must remain at least 1V higher than the battery voltage."

This is a big advantage during early morning, late afternoon, cloudy and rainy days.

48V Starts charging at 53V solar vs 120V which seems to be the norm for higher voltage SCCs.
This is an awesome feature.

In conclusion, why doesn't Victron make an AIO for the 120/240V market??

I bet it would be totally bitch'n.

If it’s not blue... then you know it’s a word beginning with P... it’s 3 letters long...and it’s got two Os in it ...

As their North American market grows it will probably happen. They are a European market and mobile market.
I would guess that is well underway in their secret meetings…ha .. as this industry evolves many new things will surface… just like everything in the last 100 years has done..

I am sure if they do it will be a kick ass unit …so far they seem to clobber most of the competition when they do release somthing…why would they not continue…?

im also thinking it will cost more than most other products …..and be worth it…

and lastly , I’m absolutely certain upon its release it will spur much desk pounding and cursing from a few select forum members …?…..

J.

I think biggest issue is not having a unit that outputs 120/240 in a single unit. You have to have two Quattro's/Multipluses for instance in order to do that.. but then if you need more power then what you initially installed you can't simply parallel another 2 Quattros (or at least they tell you not to do that in the manual). Instead if you have two 5kVA Quattros and need more power for 120/240 they tell you you need to replace those with two 10kVA units instead.

I think biggest issue is not having a unit that outputs 120/240 in a single unit. You have to have two Quattro's/Multipluses for instance in order to do that.. but then if you need more power then what you initially installed you can't simply parallel another 2 Quattros (or at least they tell you not to do that in the manual). Instead if you have two 5kVA Quattros and need more power for 120/240 they tell you you need to replace those with two 10kVA units instead.
I don't know if that's correct. Maybe there's a lesser limit for a 5kVA Quattro versus the 10k and 15k?

Looks like Quattro 10k should be good for five pairs of split phase (5 units on each)? They talk about three phase there but assuming split is covered in that category. Would definitely want to check with a knowledgeable Victron dealer to validate.

Screenshot_20240101_182129_Gallery.jpg

I don't know if that's correct. Maybe there's a lesser limit for a 5kVA Quattro versus the 10k and 15k?

Looks like Quattro 10k should be good for five pairs of split phase (5 units on each)? They talk about three phase there but assuming split is covered in that category. Would definitely want to check with a knowledgeable Victron dealer to validate.

View attachment 186304
For the European market where it outputs 230VAC yes, you can easily parallel but not for North America where you need two just to make 120/240.

Yes, that should get you a whole 3 seconds extra of yield.

If you have 8S like I do with VOC of panels at 49.5V each, how long do you think it takes to hit 120V?

I go fishing now and then, I look at marketing much the same. Put the bait in front of the sucker and they will take it.

Last edited:
For the European market where it outputs 230VAC yes, you can easily parallel but not for North America where you need two just to make 120/240.
@HighTechLab can you clarify this question for us? Can the Quattro 5 and 10kVA 120V US versions be run in multiple parallel pairs of split phase like they can with sets of three for three phase config?

I've never seen someone install 4 Quattro's paralleled for 120/240 and I know I read somewhere in the Victron manual or site that they tell you to upgrade to the larger unit if you need more power. I'm not saying it isn't possible but they definitely scare individuals away from doing it. Even though they provide many wiring diagrams on their site none of them show this configuration either.

I've never seen someone install 4 Quattro's paralleled for 120/240 and I know I read somewhere in the Victron manual or site that they tell you to upgrade to the larger unit if you need more power. I'm not saying it isn't possible but they definitely scare individuals away from doing it. Even though they provide many wiring diagrams on their site none of them show this configuration either.

When I purchased my system, my dealer confirmed that if I wanted to upgrade in the future, I could simply add a unit to each phase. This also is discussed on community regularly. The VE.Bus System Configurator Tool demo mode is similar to VictronConnect Demo Mode where the software contains all the limitations/settings of the units.

This shows 6 Multiplus assigned to L1 and L2:
1704159357553.png

That's consistent with the wording in the 120V manual where up to six units can be configured in parallel (per phase).

Okay.. Thanks for clarifying @sunshine_eggo. It was this page where they have the warning about "untrained" people trying to do this. It is still much simpler to expand with units that have 120/240 in one unit and explained in manuals for DIY'ers how to do.

Back