diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

I don't think anyone is talking about special search modes. Just the base zero load draw. The argument is oh just add another panel and more battery to compensate, problem is in the winter when it may not matter how many panels you have due to poor conditions .
oh i agree with you on that but what I am thinking (could be wrong) that some of that idle wattage when powering something is not necessarily wasted when actually powering something. I know the rating on the air pump but I do not see the total that I should be seeing. IE I should see25 watts idle and 60 watts from the pump. for a total of 85 watts... but i do not see a 85 watt draw when i do the math converting it back and forth. Like I said I could be wrong, who knows?

Does the pump draw 60 watts, or 60 VA?
What kind of motor?

I haven't studied motor currents much. I think some could present a "real" load and spin faster when not working hard. Others are closer to constant speed and may present a reactive (electrical) load, and PF change when it drives greater (physical) load.

Does the pump draw 60 watts, or 60 VA?
What kind of motor?

I haven't studied motor currents much. I think some could present a "real" load and spin faster when not working hard. Others are closer to constant speed and may present a reactive (electrical) load, and PF change when it drives greater (physical) load.
honestly I have no clue, its a little self contained low pressure air pump looks like this thing is about 12" high by about 14" long and 10" wide. i am not at the cabin so i cannot look at it to read any specs, but I remember it having a rating of 60 watts. thats the limit of my knowledge as i never pulled it apart i just plugged it in when the old one died.

1705337742766.png

Some seem to have the idea that the inverter standby consumption goes to zero when a load is energized. This is not what I am seeing with a Victron 24V 1200VA Phoenix. Am I mistaken?

oh i agree with you on that but what I am thinking (could be wrong) that some of that idle wattage when powering something is not necessarily wasted when actually powering something. I know the rating on the air pump but I do not see the total that I should be seeing. IE I should see25 watts idle and 60 watts from the pump. for a total of 85 watts... but i do not see a 85 watt draw when i do the math converting it back and forth. Like I said I could be wrong, who knows?

Depends. Some inverter ratings factor the idle consumption in as a component of the overall efficiency, i.e., 92% efficient means you get 92% AC out of the 100% DC input.

Some don't. Allegedly, Victron does.

Some seem to have the idea that the inverter standby consumption goes to zero when a load is energized. This is not what I am seeing with a Victron 24V 1200VA Phoenix. Am I mistaken?

At that point, it's hard to say what the "idle" consumption is, but yes, if you have 10W of idle consumption, and you add a 15W load, the total draw from the battery will be around 25W (this example is for illustrative purposes only and ignores a LOT of things).

At that point, it's hard to say what the "idle" consumption is, but yes, if you have 10W of idle consumption, and you add a 15W load, the total draw from the battery will be around 25W (this example is for illustrative purposes only and ignores a LOT of things).
Maybe a better way to say it would be self consumption rather than idle consumption?

Depends. Some inverter ratings factor the idle consumption in as a component of the overall efficiency, i.e., 92% efficient means you get 92% AC out of the 100% DC input.

Some don't. Allegedly, Victron does.

There’s idle and losses, what goes in and what goes out.

Idle not powering anything

Losses are watts/power that is being provided by the battery but isn’t making it to the load.

I like Victron equipment vs AIO because I don't like having AC voltage on my solar panel frames.

160205-collins-triumph-tease_inoza1

I know, I know.. if you ground your panel frames, it goes away anyway. :ROFLMAO:

When did Victron rebrand their Phoenix inverters as just "Inverter VE.Direct"?
Trademark issue? Sounds more Eurotrash? Can't say they are overpriced anymore.
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters/phoenix-inverter-vedirect-250va-800va#pd-nav-image
In Europe looks they are demarcating from their larger capacity "inverter smart" i.e. native BT compatible devices versus using ve.direct to BT dongle. Haven't seen the sun inverter before either, has bt built in and a pwm scc

Screenshot_20240118_203928_Chrome.jpg

I recently bought a Victron shunt. Big mistake. Now I'm planning to build a complete Victron system.
Quite possibly the most reliable, maintenance-free, easy-to-use equipment I own (and I've got a lot of stuff, like many of us that like to "tinker"). If I had a larger array and enough battery capacity, I could likely leave my Victron equipment untouched for months to years. It just works, plain and simple. Far more reliable than the utility grid.

Quite possibly the most reliable, maintenance-free, easy-to-use equipment I own (and I've got a lot of stuff, like many of us that like to "tinker"). If I had a larger array and enough battery capacity, I could likely leave my Victron equipment untouched for months to years. It just works, plain and simple. Far more reliable than the utility grid.
not even close. morning star is a true set and forget. end of discussion.

The only thing I dislike about my Victron setup is all the wires going everywhere. It's not as easy to make it look nice, although some people manage to. But wires inevitably have to criss cross a bit as there never seems to be a good way to run the wires without doing that when having multiple CCs with multiple PV strings.

This may cause some kind of mad rush, but looks like the Victron autotransformers have dropped significantly as well? Wasn't the 100A around $650-$700 previously?
View attachment 189778
This is not a one-off sale, it's a new normal price. I'm selling at the same price as well. But, I'd argue that if you need an autotransformer, you are probably doing it wrong.

This is not a one-off sale, it's a new normal price. I'm selling at the same price as well. But, I'd argue that if you need an autotransformer, you are probably doing it wrong.
@HighTechLab, I still want to test for myself the 120v generator to 240v well pump video you did years ago with a solar edge autotransformer. Can't really get those solar-edge ones anymore but having an autotransformer standing by if you have a 120v generator OR 1/2 of your Victron split phase systems goes down could be a life saver if you need 240v.

Back