diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for Bluetooth BMS

Many thanks for the update regarding autostart.

Just playing around with it and installed the guimod from Kwindrem using https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the settings, but I cannot see the battery info on the display. Uninstalling the guimod restores the battery display. I'm not sure why.

In addition, these types of bmses are not secure. Anyone can wreck havoc by using a BT app! I wish the manufacturer will do someting about this. Right now, the best way is to keep BT on and paired with the Rapberry pi. Far from ideal.

You're welcome

Just playing around with it and installed the guimod from Kwindrem using https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the settings, but I cannot see the battery info on the display. Uninstalling the guimod restores the battery display. I'm not sure why.

I need to try these mods, I even notice the dbus-serialbattery driver comes with a gui mod you can opt to install. I'm really new to all this, but learning is fun.

In addition, these types of bmses are not secure. Anyone can wreck havoc by using a BT app! I wish the manufacturer will do someting about this. Right now, the best way is to keep BT on and paired with the Rapberry pi. Far from ideal.

Oh I know. Just imagine someone with a high-gain directional antenna pointed at a RV park. Yikes!

Thanks @BradCagle for starting this project, its much needed. Greetings from Ireland.

I had one issue with getting the autostart working but I figured out you need to run the ./installservice.sh in the dbus-btbattery folder and it all came together. Nice work.

Last edited:
Thanks @BradCagle for starting this project, its much needed. Greetings from Ireland.

I had one issue with getting the autostart working but I figured out you need to run the ./installservice.sh in the dbus-btbattery folder and it all came together. Nice work.

You're welcome! Glad you figured it out.

@BradCagle Thank you so much for your work!

I have a problem, maybe you can help me.
After I run the script ./dbus-btbattery.py myBTadress. I could see the battery in the GUI. Also my BT temperature sensor were visible in the GUI, but as soon as I finished the script the values of the battery and the BT temperature sensor were not available. This is not a problem at first, as soon as I started the script again, both work again.

After I made the adjustments for the automatic start and performed a reboot, the BT temperature sensor no longer works, it is no longer visible in the GUI.

I hope, you can help me!

I have found a workaround:

If under Settings - I/O - Bluetooth Sensors - Continuous Scanning change from active to deacative. Then I can see the temperature sensor and also values. After a reboot, the sensor is also still there, but no more values. As soon as I switch the Continuous Scanning on/off I get values.

@BradCagle Thank you so much for your work!

I have a problem, maybe you can help me.
After I run the script ./dbus-btbattery.py myBTadress. I could see the battery in the GUI. Also my BT temperature sensor were visible in the GUI, but as soon as I finished the script the values of the battery and the BT temperature sensor were not available. This is not a problem at first, as soon as I started the script again, both work again.

After I made the adjustments for the automatic start and performed a reboot, the BT temperature sensor no longer works, it is no longer visible in the GUI.

I hope, you can help me!

So you have a separate BT temp sensor, what model? I guess maybe there is a conflict.

I have found a workaround:

If under Settings - I/O - Bluetooth Sensors - Continuous Scanning change from active to deacative. Then I can see the temperature sensor and also values. After a reboot, the sensor is also still there, but no more values. As soon as I switch the Continuous Scanning on/off I get values.
I see, yes clearly a conflict. I need to get one of these sensors so I can debug.

Hi,

these are the integrated Bluetooth sensors:

Attached is a screenshot from BT scanning

I'm testing for a few days now, but so far it's running stable.

BT.png

The GUI mod works fine for me.
I can see the battery and also all my temperature sensors on the homescreen.

So there seems to be no fundamental problem. Maybe the information helps you.

very cool if you can get this to work on the 16s JBDs it will be amazing.

Does it not work on 16s JBD? The code should handle it, although I have not tried.

I have 2 16s packs with JBDs, I guess I should test it LOL

It has connected on the console but it does not show up in the GUI for me. I had a password set in the app, is that causing an issue? I am using a 200a JDB bms set to 18s.

I think it's probably the 18s part. I have not tested 18s, and I might have to parse the data slightly different. I might can get it working, If you are willing to give me ssh access to it.

I think it's probably the 18s part. I have not tested 18s, and I might have to parse the data slightly different. I might can get it working, If you are willing to give me ssh access to it.
lets do it, pmed you my contact

Hey Guys, I added a new feature

New Virtual Battery Feature [Experimental]​

You can now add up to 4 bt battery addresses to the command line. It will connect to all batteries, and create a
single virtual battery. NOTE for now this only works with batteries in series, I will add parallel support soon.

Example of my two 12v batteries in series, the display shows a 24v battery
./dbus-btbattery.py 70:3e:97:08:00:62 a4:c1:37:40:89:5e

Hey Guys, I added a new feature

New Virtual Battery Feature [Experimental]​

You can now add up to 4 bt battery addresses to the command line. It will connect to all batteries, and create a
single virtual battery. NOTE for now this only works with batteries in series, I will add parallel support soon.

Example of my two 12v batteries in series, the display shows a 24v battery
./dbus-btbattery.py 70:3e:97:08:00:62 a4:c1:37:40:89:5e
This is awesome. Installed and running now. I have two batteries in parallel so looking forward to updated support for that.

I am able to run two seperate processes to get two entries in the display running. Its not elegant or the right way to do it but it works.

I setup a second "service" for the second battery and modify the run command to point to the below dbus-btbattery(1|2).py files.

/opt/victronenergy/service/dbus-btbattery/run
and
/opt/victronenergy/service/dbus-btbattery2/run

I created two copys of both dbus-btbattery.py and jbdbt.py

dbus-btbattery1.py
jbdbt1.py
and
dbus-btbattery2.py
jbdbt2.py

jbdbt.py had line 155 editied with the new name for the display.
dbus-btbattery was edited to import the corisponding jbdbt(1|2).py file.

1681311520707.png

Last edited:
This is awesome. Installed and running now. I have two batteries in parallel so looking forward to updated support for that.

I am able to run two seperate processes to get two entries in the display running. Its not elegantor the right way to do it but it works.

I setup a second "service" for the second battery and modify the run command to point to the below dbus-btbattery(1|2).py files.

/opt/victronenergy/service/dbus-btbattery/run
and
/opt/victronenergy/service/dbus-btbattery2/run

I created two copys of both dbus-btbattery.py and jbdbt.py

dbus-btbattery1.py
jbdbt1.py
and
dbus-btbattery2.py
jbdbt2.py

jbdbt.py had line 155 editied with the new name for the display.
dbus-btbattery was edited to import the corisponding jbdbt(1|2).py file.

View attachment 144361

Nice! Glad you find it useful.

BTW take a read here: https://github.com/bradcagle/dbus-btbattery/issues/3
This how one user modified the code to work with two instances.

Back