diy solar

diy solar

Want to purchase Solar Panels from China and import to USA...

The header on this thread is patently illegal and if caught the United States CBP will make you pay the 280% tariffs your Chinese sellers tried to get out of.

Once had a contractor try this, got caught and was told by Customs and border patrol to pay $70k of tariffs or you go to jail

Last edited:
The header on this thread is patently illegal and if caught the United States CBP will make you pay the 280% tariffs your Chinese sellers tried to get out of.

Once had a contractor try this, git caught and was told by Customs and border patrol to pay $70k of tariffs or you go to jail
Did you read anything in the thread?
Did you read anything about section 201 and bifacials?
Did you see the thread where a bunch of us got US stocked panels for under $0.20 / watt delivered?

Angle is not optimal for August, it's on my roof ~ 10 (2/12). I will not be tilting them. I was not recording until August, so we shall see...
  • January: 38.4°
  • February: 33.4°
  • March: 28.4°
  • April: 23.4°
  • May: 18.4°
  • June: 13.4°
  • July: 18.4°
  • August: 23.4°
  • September: 28.4°
  • October: 33.4°
  • November: 38.4°
  • December: 43.4°
But that is kind of my point. Unless you are moving your panels regularly, your panels are sub-optimal the majority of the time, So I may see more clipping in June, having a few extra amps available to the mppt the rest of the time is a win. I have the voltage data, but it isn't going to change anything for me because my panels are mounted flat on the roof, period.

If you have the MPPT over-paneling is dumb, but I probably wouldn't wire up and put in more AIO/MPPT's because I could potentially lose a few watts on a perfect day.
Flat on the roof will affect production severely, especially in winter.

I only need to adjust tilt 4 times a year. I do this about halfway between the solstices and equinoxes.

Did you read anything in the thread?
Did you read anything about section 201 and bifacials?
Did you see the thread where a bunch of us got US stocked panels for under $0.20 / watt delivered?
0 of them are from China. the key here is Chinese company manufacturing them outside of China with provable sourcing for cells outside of China.

section 201 is baloney if it is Chinese. very good tool for southeast asian panels.

panels from actual China are now 11 cents per watt by the container...

May have bought a panel or 2 internationally this year...

Once had a contractor try this, got caught and was told by Customs and border patrol to pay $70k of tariffs or you go to jail

“Want to purchase Solar Panels from China and import to USA...”

It’s illegal to import Solar Panels from China? And you are in the solar business?

Is overstating product capabilities and continually selling defective products illegal too?

It’s illegal to import Solar Panels from China? And you are in the solar business?

It’s yet to be known for how long. Seems to be doing stellar at the customer facing side of things.

0 of them are from China. the key here is Chinese company manufacturing them outside of China with provable sourcing for cells outside of China.

section 201 is baloney if it is Chinese. very good tool for southeast asian panels.

panels from actual China are now 11 cents per watt by the container...
I'm far from an expert but I don't see China being excluded here. https://www.cbp.gov/trade/quota/bulletins/qb-22-507-solar-cells-and-modules-2022
Anyway it's not worth arguing. The OP ended up getting them from Inxeption, a US based supplier, for an excellent price.
May have bought a panel or 2 internationally this year...
Wow, if if they are down to 11 cents per watt I'd be buying a container or 6, especially if I were in the business to resell them for a profit. It's amazing the discounts that are available when you buy in bulk on other things too.
The best part about panels is they don't require lots of tech support, they either work or they don't.

I'm far from an expert but I don't see China being excluded here. https://www.cbp.gov/trade/quota/bulletins/qb-22-507-solar-cells-and-modules-2022
Anyway it's not worth arguing. The OP ended up getting them from Inxeption, a US based supplier, for an excellent price.
Lots of other stuff out there, Uyghur human rights bans for instance

Wow, if if they are down to 11 cents per watt I'd be buying a container or 6, especially if I were in the business to resell them for a profit. It's amazing the discounts that are available when you buy in bulk on other things too.
The best part about panels is they don't require lots of tech support, they either work or they don't.
Its just illegal if you can prove uyghur wasnt used and x 3.8 is too pricy after customs

People smuggle cans & bottles into California for the larger CRV.
I'd think there would be a booming business shipping PV laminates from China to Vietnam, then mounting frames and adding labels.
What are we going to do, audit their books to see if they record buying cells from elsewhere? Paper and computer bits are easy enough to create.

The header on this thread is patently illegal
No it’s not. Trying to import solar panels from China would be a royal PITA and you’d have to jump through hoops and deal with mind-numbing regulations, but it’s not illegal at all.

CBP will make you pay the 280% tariffs

The maximum tariffs are about 240% for anti-dumping and another 15% for countervailing. But most large manufacturers have petitioned, and received, much lower rates on a company-by-company basis. I remember that Longi’s rate is something under 15%; can’t remember offhand what others are, but the blanket statement that rates are uniformly 280% is bunk.

told by Customs and border patrol to pay $70k of tariffs or you go to jail

Seriously doubt this anecdote is true. As long as you don’t make a materially false declaration, there is no criminal penalty. CBP might impound imports until duties are paid, but it’s not a crime.

If anyone wants to try this, just be sure you know what you’re doing, and try to be a DDP “purchaser” instead of listing yourself as the “importer.”

I'd think there would be a booming business shipping PV laminates from China to Vietnam, then mounting frames and adding labels.
There is. That’s how about 80% of the panels imported into the US are done, through Vietnam and three other SE Asia countries. For now.

There has been a years-long case dealing with it. Earlier this year it was found that most Chinese companies doing this were “circumventing” the tariffs. President Biden in 2022 ordered a two-year moratorium on enforcement until the case was concluded. But that moratorium expires in June.

No it’s not. Trying to import solar panels from China would be a royal PITA and you’d have to jump through hoops and deal with mind-numbing regulations, but it’s not illegal at all.
You're wrong, 0% of Chinese panels comply with the uyghur restrictions, already billions on panels have been sent back to china when they started enforcement 2 years ago.
The maximum tariffs are about 240% for anti-dumping and another 15% for countervailing. But most large manufacturers have petitioned, and received, much lower rates on a company-by-company basis. I remember that Longi’s rate is something under 15%; can’t remember offhand what others are, but the blanket statement that rates are uniformly 280% is bunk.
no Longi is not importing from china to the usa for 15% , they aren't importing anything from China to the USA.
Seriously doubt this anecdote is true. As long as you don’t make a materially false declaration, there is no criminal penalty. CBP might impound imports until duties are paid, but it’s not a crime.
if you get a foreign entity to make a false declaration in customs law you are liable, pls do not encourage this.

If anyone wants to try this, just be sure you know what you’re doing, and try to be a DDP “purchaser” instead of listing yourself as the “importer.”
DDP veil has been broken since 2018, https://www.kmllp.com/siteFiles/News/news.1415.pdf

You're wrong, 0% of Chinese panels comply with the uyghur restrictions,
I think you’re wrong. UFLPA applies only to products from one district in China, and manufacturers had already begun sourcing silicon from other locales even before the new law took effect last June. After some initial bottlenecks, they’ve started getting their products through CBP by showing that they did not use Uyghur labor.
Longi is not importing from china to the usa for 15% , they aren't importing anything from China to the USA.

A pretty bold, blanket statement that I think also is incorrect. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that their antidumping duty is only 15%. I’ll try to find it.

As for the article you cited on DDP, I read it. That involved a sophisticated importer that conspired with a foreign manufacturer to fraudulently understate the value of imports, in order to evade import duties. They used fake invoices, knew exactly what they were doing, and received hundreds of thousands of dollars in kickbacks to participate in the illegal scheme. Not exactly the same situation as some guy who orders a pallet of panels DDP because he doesn’t understand importing and relies on the exporter who does. Besides, my point was that it isn’t a criminal offense that sends you to jail (as you stated); the case you cited proves my point in that the wrongdoers only had to pay penalties, not go to jail.

I had found this article I was going to share a while ago but yours is better.
This Reuters article from March seems to disagree with you.

I've learned over the past year it's not worth your time arguing with him. At the end of the day, "The power grid will always take you back..." I still don't understand the context of that one...

Back