diy solar

diy solar

want to wire a few outlets in the walls before sheetrock. not sure if i need a box. want to make it easy ?

You probably already know you're not allowed to shoot screws through a normal box.

However, this style I guess would make all of us happy. Gravelrider, is this still inferior to doing the work before drywall?

That is stud-mounted, so wouldn't be inferior as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I wouldn't spend five times the cost to install this box in new work, which would be more work, more cost, for the same end result. I'll always install new work boxes in new work. There's a reason they named the boxes as they did. ;)

There are a couple, first an old work box is only 'Approved' for you guessed it 'Old Work' NOT new work. Inspectors can be particular about approved devices.. Second all the wiring needs to be inspected fully before the wall covering goes up. Boxes installed, romex run, stapled wires sheath stripped inside of the boxes and all grounds 'bonded' together with a mechanical device (not a wire nut). This is so the inspector can fully inspect everything that will not be visible after the wall covering goes up. By bypassing this, one could attempt to avoid inspection of most of the wiring.
Also, the next inspection (and final) would be with the covers on the boxes so they would never get to see the inside of the box including the stripped wires and ground bonds.

What code violation were you cited for?

How does your/the inspector go about checking remodel/old work?

Um, trim should be considered when near doorframes and such. Offset with an extra piece of 2x4 or so. Plan ahead.
I didn't want to name every scenario.

Trim was a very poor example on my part.

So, book cases, mirrors, backsplashes, fancy chandeliers etc, things of that nature where you're not sure of final placement.

I'm curious what code violation you were cited for saying you were going to use a remodel box in lieu of hard-installing a box beforehand.

As mentioned above, it is done before drywall is up in the case of remodels.

I'm talking about when you use remodel boxes where you haven't messed with the finished wall.

Fished wire.

A remodel where you have built, framed and wired a new wall is akin to new work.

What code violation were you cited for?

How does your/the inspector go about checking remodel/old work?
Understand this violation occurred in around 1993. The details are fuzzy and I only know I had to fix and reinspect and never made the mistake again. However from 20+ years of flipping houses and building houses and doing all my own electrical work, I can explain how remodel inspections go. Generally speaking if you remove the wallcovering (drywall) you have created the case of 'new' work. Anything you have uncovered, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, even structural is now up for evaluation (if you are a flipper you want to avoid $$) likewise if you created a new partition wall.. in an old house.. the wall is now 'new'. If, however you put a couple (or many) holes in the walls.. snake your Romex where it needs to go without exposing what's behind, you are sort of given the 'benefit of the doubt' for lack of better explanation. If the inspector cant see it.. he's not going to hit you for it unless there is something obvious. Inspectors vary and so do jurisdictions but the code book is pretty specific on these things. For example say you tore the ceiling off a early 1900's house and exposed knob and tube wiring..which I did more times than I can count. You cant per code cover that back up. You are now liable to 'fix' what can be seen. As dumb as it sounds, you could probably 'pass' by putting the wire in a box at each point it becomes visible and running romex between the boxes..even though in reality you should rewire the entire house.

A remodel where you have built, framed and wired a new wall is akin to new work.
And that is when the framing is inspected before the drywall is put up, which was the part of your question that I was answering about how the inspector goes about inspecting remodel. It is obviously not the same for old work.

Back