diy solar

diy solar

WATTS247 Black Friday Special

Watts 247.com has this LV6048 unit on sale for $649. I'm tempted at this price. Is this a good company?

There is a web page compaing the different models specs:

In the case of the LV6048, I would recommend to check if the Voc
is in you PV installed configuration range (in particular for max cold temperature):

Each 6kW unit consists of 2 x 4kW Solar Chargers
Capable of supporting a total Solar array of 8kW,
of a voltage range between 60 to 110V DC,
MAX DC voltage is 145V

Current Connected has been trying to sell these models on the SavingsShack for quite a while too. They don't sell often for a reason unfortunately...

Whats wrong with those inverters?
Higher idle consumption, no surge capability, abysmally low PV VOC limit, heavy for no reason because this is essentially 2x LV3048's in one box, and larger than any other 6kw inverter.

The only pros is its cheap and split phase native.

I vaguely remember @HighTechLab telling me that the PV start Voltage is something like 100v too, and not the 60v that it actually advertises. This makes it very difficult to keep a PV array within such a narrow voltage range of 100-145v.

Sorry Dexter and Ian of this wrecks any chances of selling these ?

Apparently the control boards will fail if BMS disconnects battery under heavy load. I suspect lack of proper transient voltage suppression on DC input.

I think people don't realize how good a deal this is. $650 for 6.5kw 120/240

If you don't have long runs to the solar panels then wire is inexpensive.

No better deal out there for someone who doesn't need high voltage strings. 85w idle consumption is normal for this class of inverter. The new eg4 6000 is 70w idle consumption

I think people don't realize how good a deal this is. $650 for 6.5kw 120/240

If you don't have long runs to the solar panels then wire is inexpensive.

No better deal out there for someone who doesn't need high voltage strings. 85w idle consumption is normal for this class of inverter. The new eg4 6000 is 70w idle consumption
It is only 6kw. Not 6.5k. And it doesn't have any sort of load balancing, so only 3kw per leg.

Even the new EG4 6000 with a 70w is way too high if I were considering building a system. Not when there are better options out there for not "that" much more money. But some people's budgets may not allow it. Just my $0.02

It is only 6kw. Not 6.5k. And it doesn't have any sort of load balancing, so only 3kw per leg.

Even the new EG4 6000 with a 70w is way too high if I were considering building a system. Not when there are better options out there for not "that" much more money. But some people's budgets may not allow it. Just my $0.02
It's 6.5kw. read the specs

What aio under $1500 or even 2000 has load balancing? Even the 7k solark doesn't have load balancing.

What option is better for "not that much more money"?

It's 6.5kw. read the specs

What aio under $1500 or even 2000 has load balancing? Even the 7k solark doesn't have load balancing.

What option is better for "not that much more money"?
I'm not seeing it, please show where you're seeing it

Screenshot_20231125_170455_Brave.jpg

It's not about having no load balancing, it's about the only 3kw on each leg.

I don't have a lot of time right now, ill get a few listed when I have some time

I'm not seeing it, please show where you're seeing it

View attachment 179634

It's not about having no load balancing, it's about the only 3kw on each leg.

I don't have a lot of time right now, ill get a few listed when I have some time
I would like to know which split phase inverter under $2.5k can run more than half it's output per leg, continuously.

The inverter says 27.3a per leg, that's 6552w and @OffGridForGood has verified this.IMG_20231125_183125983~2.jpg

MPP 6048 = $943 each from MaximumSolar.online - plus shipping. Typically they show US warehouse stock.
I have measured Idle at approx 75W, however it is not a steady value, the idle is higher under high loading, and lower under low overnight loads below 2kW.
These inverters have a load sharing cable system between them - how this works, and just how much 'sharing' it does I am not 100% sure. I was watching the inverter outputs on Solar Assistant today while some 240v 5-6kW loads were cycling, the load per inverter is not perfectly balanced, but pretty close (+/- 5-10% while I was watching) How much it can do with imbalanced 120 loads - I don't see how it could 'balance' this at all. I have tried to put some steady loads on each of L1 &L2, so there is never 'zero' on either. This seems to keep the inverters happy when a bigger 120 load hits. I recall when I had just one inverter, it didn't want to output full load on L1 with zero on L2, but as long as I had something on L2 (just shop lights worked) then L1 could output up to max without going into fault. Likely not good for the inverter, I spent time after that experience to move some loads around to keep L1 and L2 less imbalanced.

You are both getting your EG 6500 mixed up with your lv6548s and LV 6048
I don't think I mixed up anything I talked about. I've used many of these MPP inverters for 3 years now. And understand most of the differences between all the Voltronic models.

I would like to know which split phase inverter under $2.5k can run more than half it's output per leg, continuously.

The inverter says 27.3a per leg, that's 6552w and @OffGridForGood has verified this.View attachment 179639
Again, I said it's not about the load balancing, it's about the measly 3kw output per leg. This also was the least of my worries when naming short comings with this inverter. But I digress.

If its capable of 6500w, then why call it a 6000w? This would be the first inverter I've ever heard of that can actually output more than the nameplate rating. We have had a lot of companies do the opposite with their naming scheme (Solark and EG4/Lux).
I have measured Idle at approx 75W, however it is not a steady value, the idle is higher under high loading, and lower under low overnight loads below 2kW.
You are not measuring idle current then! You are measuring EFFICIENCY LOSSES! Once you have a load greater than 1 watt, you are no longer at idle! In most cases, the efficiency is higher at higher load levels, which confirms what you see with the data provided.

I am unsure about the "balance" cables as well. They are too thin and wimpy to actually share load so I'm not exactly sure as to their purpose, but I've never used them either.

Back