diy solar

diy solar

Welded stud broke. How deep can I drill EVE LF304 terminals?

@zcskywire2 Thank you very much! I also really appreciate your effort!

Do you think the LF304 can be drilled to the same depth?
I really do not have an answer to that. I have zero info on its thickness. So personally I wouldn't. Especially having the CALB 280 Datasheet which does show a 3mm terminal thickness. However I posted a thread above where someone had a machine shop remove the stud out of the laser welded base and re-tap it for threaded rod. That would be my suggestion going in blind on the terminal thickness.

I really do not have an answer to that. I have zero info on its thickness. So personally I wouldn't. Especially having the CALB 280 Datasheet which does show a 3mm terminal thickness. However I posted a thread above where someone had a machine shop remove the stud out of the laser welded base and re-tap it for threaded rod. That would be my suggestion going in blind on the terminal thickness.
That post was the main reason for my question of whether you know how deep the terminal can be drilled:

While the OP in that post says that the machine shop "removed" the stud, that is most likely not what they did: The studs seem to have a hexagonal "head" that is pressed into the welded aluminum disc that is there to prevent the stud from turning or being pulled out in normal use:

Stud Mount.jpg

From looking at the images in the post you referenced, I think what they did is to drill out the stud core material and tap a thread into the remaining stud "head".

However, the aluminum disc is only 2mm high, the "head" thus probably about 1mm.

Lishen 272ah With M6 Stud.jpg
(Image copied from the referenced post)

That is not deep enough for a thread that will be secure:

If one looks closely at the images in the referenced post, I believe one can see that they drilled slightly into the cell terminal but not really deep enough to properly secure the grub screw.

So yes, in principle this is what I would like to do. However I would like to have a deeper threaded hole than in the referenced post. Hence I am trying to find out if anybody has experience in how deep the terminal on the EVE LF304 can be drilled.

Back