diy solar

diy solar

What’s with this battery spacing?

Never ever give code enforcement an idea ?
I had one giving me fits for years then I burned him but good and got him for trespassing. They ended up having to change their rules because he almost got eaten that day. 5 minutes before he got there I had unchained one of my dogs and put her back in the dog run. I went in the house and a couple minutes later hear the dogs go nuts. 5 pitbulls ? I go on the back porch to see what is going on and this clown walks right up the driveway past no trespassing and beware of dog signs ?. The next zoning meeting I'm there and u showed the videos of him trespassing. Before I left the meeting the county board made a new rule for him and his clowns about not going on property market with either no trespassing or beware of dog postings. He was not a happy camper ? but he never came back again ?

My friend is an electrician and is constantly having to interact with inspectors in several counties in central CA. Most are alright but he can instantly tell if one is on a power trip and ironically those are the ones that are the most incompetent. Sometimes he has to balance just making non required changes (if even safe) vs educating and potentially hurting their ego thus making an enemy.

Well I’ve got ion/photo and a heat detector that are tied to the whole house network. They are over the inverters and the batteries are beneath them. I have duct work to remove the heat when it gets over 85F but there’s a thermal fuse in the duct that blows at 163F so that no new oxygen is added into the area. But that would effectively stop any fumes leaving the space too. My diy batteries have isolators between cells and the boxes have been treated with fire retardant and the terminal torque has been checked to the point of OCD, so the chances of fire are near zero. Could they vent in the future from some unforeseen manufacturing defect, sure. The only thing that I don’t have a sensor for is the battery chemistry. I remember seeing some somewhere but I believe they were expensive and had a relatively short service life. My ion/photo detector is so sensitive that I know that by the time get to heat shrink number 6 of 16 balance leads, the detector goes off, so maybe that would suffice for detection for the particles of one cell full value vent release, but not just a leak.
View attachment 178536
That is awesome!

Never ever give code enforcement an idea ?
I had one giving me fits for years then I burned him but good and got him for trespassing. They ended up having to change their rules because he almost got eaten that day. 5 minutes before he got there I had unchained one of my dogs and put her back in the dog run. I went in the house and a couple minutes later hear the dogs go nuts. 5 pitbulls ? I go on the back porch to see what is going on and this clown walks right up the driveway past no trespassing and beware of dog signs ?. The next zoning meeting I'm there and u showed the videos of him trespassing. Before I left the meeting the county board made a new rule for him and his clowns about not going on property market with either no trespassing or beware of dog postings. He was not a happy camper ? but he never came back again ?
If one ignorant not naive) inspector is eaten and the remnants remain, that would solve many wannabe trespassers... I would not actually condone that, but just a thought. My general contractor friend had one pit bull chained at a job site, inspector showed up unannounced and walked up to the dog and got bit. He left, was the city attorney, friend immediately put the dog down and had it examined for rabies, got the phone call from the attorney... ended the conversation with "I took care of it, I had the dog...etc."

Ignorance spawns many bad things.

If one ignorant not naive) inspector is eaten and the remnants remain, that would solve many wannabe trespassers... I would not actually condone that, but just a thought. My general contractor friend had one pit bull chained at a job site, inspector showed up unannounced and walked up to the dog and got bit. He left, was the city attorney, friend immediately put the dog down and had it examined for rabies, got the phone call from the attorney... ended the conversation with "I took care of it, I had the dog...etc."

Ignorance spawns many bad things.
Shouldn't have put the dog down for that. It was the inspectors fault NOT the dogs. I wouldn't put any of my dogs down for that. Learn to pay attention and have warning signs. Anyone gets bit that's on them and not the dog or me. Every edge of my property line had warning signs for both trespassing and beware of dogs. Even the county council admitted if he would have gotten chomped it would have been HIS fault for ignoring the signs. Funny thing was he called animal control and they told him there was nothing they could do as I have it clearly marked beware of dogs. They knew me so well they didn't even come out anymore unless one got loose and then they just put them back in the fence and left ?

Shouldn't have put the dog down for that. It was the inspectors fault NOT the dogs. I wouldn't put any of my dogs down for that. Learn to pay attention and have warning signs. Anyone gets bit that's on them and not the dog or me. Every edge of my property line had warning signs for both trespassing and beware of dogs. Even the county council admitted if he would have gotten chomped it would have been HIS fault for ignoring the signs. Funny thing was he called animal control and they told him there was nothing they could do as I have it clearly marked beware of dogs. They knew me so well they didn't even come out anymore unless one got loose and then they just put them back in the fence and left ?
Unfortunately, when an unvaccinated pet of the type that has the potential of carrying rabies bites even a despicable human, the only way to be sure of rabies is to autopsy the brain of the pet?. In most places this is this is required. If the animal was positive or can’t be found, person must immediately undergo expensive rabies prevention treatments, between costing between 10000 and $20,000 in the US. As many as 40,000 people undergo rabies treatments annually here.

I know we are waaaay off topic of the battery spacing and I got great info and reasons regarding my question Thanks All

Last edited:
If this install uses new stock, the spacing is unnecessary as it passes UL 9540A. Perhaps they got a deal on older stock and had to space them. IMG_1123.jpegIMG_1124.jpeg

If this install uses new stock, the spacing is unnecessary as it passes UL 9540A. Perhaps they got a deal on older stock and had to space them.
Technically as I understand it the UL9540A test documents need to identify a spacing criteria to be able to use something tighter than the default. So just 9540A isn't enough.

Technically as I understand it the UL9540A test documents need to identify a spacing criteria to be able to use something tighter than the default. So just 9540A isn't enough.
You are correct. The latest brochure that lists the certification has a QR code link to the latest installation document. In that document the only thing that I can find is a minimum distance of .500” between multiple units. Not that I plan on owning one but my curiosity has got me, so I’ve sent a query. IMG_1127.jpeg

When the inverter and battery are UL9540 listed together and the installation instructions show spacing less than 3' then it's a permitted exception.

The latest brochure still shows minimum distance between units as .500” so this must refer to ground mounts. No requirements from walls or other objects, where ground mount is concerned (that I could find). So it may come down to how behind the times, uninformed or how much of a power trip your local jurisdiction has as to the installation. Gets me wondering if Eg4 had their system certified in the rack mount?

Back