diy solar

diy solar

What Can I personally do to help against climate change?

Updated Index to Ideas
The best ideas will not only be good for the environment but also save you money! Here's a list of those with little (if any) austerity:
Long Term strategy of the United States

? Updated with window glazing and solar diverters...Let me know if I missed any!
Update2: The "Fingers" (?) were added to point towards changed bullets from the prior update, idea courtesy of @WYtreasure

Last edited:
The larger boilers are typically not needed (instant gas boilers) or are heated by gas indirectly or nowadays more and more by heatpump.
People find it way to expensive to run the huge boilers directly on electricity only.
Yeah, our climate varies a LOT across the continent. Even in cold locations like Tasmania and Melbourne water tanks can still be located outside. Not so much in the Alpine and some inland southern regions though - they would typically be located inside the building.

Heat pumps are gradually gaining traction, more so in southern parts of the country where it is much colder, the demand for hot water is much higher and they are beginning to replace gas boilers.

In the north half of the country (tropics/sub tropics) hot water demand is low, and modestly sized electric hot water boilers power by off-peak tariffs are far more common.

The thing holding back faster adoption of heat pump hot water systems here is the high cost. Quality units are very expensive (circa A$5k+ to install), while there are cheaper models their longevity is poor. In many parts of Australia it's just cheaper just to put up more solar PV and heat a good old fashioned resistive element during the day than use a heat pump.

As a rule of thumb here, heat pumps make financial sense only when hot water demand is pretty high, which is large families in colder climates.

In our case, a heat pump would have cost us A$5.8k to install and at best would have saved us $150/year in energy costs.

Yeah in Australia yoi have much more output from a solar panel and the demands are different.
Our house might truly be offgrid in Australia, but here in the Netherlands I only reach like 2/3 or 3/4 of the year.

Our house might truly be offgrid in Australia
We have some pretty significant cooling energy demands to deal with and terrible building energy efficiency standards. Plus some of the largest homes in the world, on average. Also a highly suburbanised nation.

Off grid here is more for the remote/rural areas.

So if you were here, you'd be spending a LOT of money to make a home thermally suitable for use with an off-grid power supply.

Well, I have Rc 5.0 and higher insulation, the house is tiny, it already runs cooling and heating with an AC. It has 5000Wp currently and 12kWh storage.
I think it would do nicely over there, just might require more overhang to block out the summer sun.

But yeah, I see low building standards all around the world. And it is really a shame in areas with warmer cimates that they still require heating.

your rooftop solar can take a nip out of the residential heating with heatpump furnace & mini-split... still feeling tiny

We need a paradigm shift and it may take a generation or two. Cheap energy mentality and mind set will take time to "wake" up. Imagine a $20/gal of petrol, innovation would come out of the wood-work, and perhaps the air will get cleaner
Innovation has came out of the woodwork. Problem is it gets Bought and shelved or if the inventor wont play ball they produce smear campaign against them. If that doesn't work they suddenly have a Heart attack.

are you really concerned about pollution, which is the boogey man when speaking about Global Cooling (1970's) Global Warming (late 2000's) or climate change (2015 or so)?
  1. Hang and quarter every person that flies around in a private jet.
  2. Make houses larger than 2000sqft illegal,
  3. Make wind turbines with FRP or composite blades that cannot be recycled illegal.
  4. Bring back nuclear energy.
  5. Hang people like Klaus Swab and Al Gore

Proper procedures + failsafe design = even a caveman could do it.
I live just a few miles from Three Mile Island, and look over at the remaining cooling towers every time I cross the Susquehanna River. We came very close but learned a lot. Even with the technology and blissful ignorance in place at the time, and a little luck, disaster was avoided. Chernobyl was indicative of most things that came from the Soviet system which was a dangerous mix of arrogance and incompetence. Fukushima was due to insufficient hardening of the facility for natural disaster scale events. Public perception has been manipulated on these three events, ignoring the billions of megawatts safely and cleanly produced over the last 60 years. Nuclear power is the only currently available source of energy that delivers a true net zero emissions promise.

That all being said, “Climate Change” is a political hoax on the level of a religious cult millions have been duped in to believing. Yeah, the planet is warming. It’s been gradually warming for 10,000 years since the last ice age. We aren’t causing it and we can’t stop it.

I live just a few miles from Three Mile Island, and look over at the remaining cooling towers every time I cross the Susquehanna River. We came very close but learned a lot. Even with the technology and blissful ignorance in place at the time, and a little luck, disaster was avoided. Chernobyl was indicative of most things that came from the Soviet system which was a dangerous mix of arrogance and incompetence. Fukushima was due to insufficient hardening of the facility for natural disaster scale events. Public perception has been manipulated on these three events, ignoring the billions of megawatts safely and cleanly produced over the last 60 years. Nuclear power is the only currently available source of energy that delivers a true net zero emissions promise.

That all being said, “Climate Change” is a political hoax on the level of a religious cult millions have been duped in to believing. Yeah, the planet is warming. It’s been gradually warming for 10,000 years since the last ice age. We aren’t causing it and we can’t stop it.
Trust me Brett, I am with ya on all of your statements. I built my solar system to save money when I retire...that and the challenge. with the exception of my last order of cells all of my gear has been bought 2nd hand and recycled. to save money and get a reasonable ROI.

Start by educating yourself that climate on earth has been changing for millenia and humans have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Then start educating yourself on the technocratic agenda of "cLIEmate change" that the world oligarchy is trying to use to brainwash the masses into submitting to "owning nothing and being locked down in 15 minute cities and travelling 4 times per lifetime" while the said oligarchy owns beachside megamansions, yachts and private jets.

Global-Temp-History1.png

The climate bogeyman is nothing more than another covid-like fraud, a vehicle for grabbing power and erasing our freedoms. There is no threat, and even if there was there is nothing that human beings could do about it since we have no bearing whatsoever on the course of the Earth’s temperatures. The world’s climate has been changing for millions of years, and there is no difference between the changes of today vs the changes of the past.

The globalists know that to achieve the “new world order” or the “great reset” they desire, a large percentage of the population has to be onboard. And since most people have a measure of conscience as well as self interest, their enslavement has to be presented as a positive. Tthey must be made to believe that by embracing slavery they are saving the planet and the lives of others.

None of this is true of course, but as long as the populace thinks they are doing good they can often be manipulated into supporting immense evil.

Nuclear power is the only currently available source of energy that delivers a true net zero emissions promise.
Nuclear is an expensive solution and we need some new/existing technology commercialized for it to be viable, Sabine talks about it. Lazard's says solar with energy storage is now on par with Natural gas combined whereas nuclear is pretty expensive. Also, hardly anyone worries about dihydrogen monoxide affecting solar even though it's a constant problem here.

1712750848525.png

Or PR firms have bamboozled a lot of people into believing that and it costs . The science seems pretty solid:

But yeah, this isn't the thread for that discussion. As it says in the OP, there are other threads for that discussion.

manmade cLIEmate change is hoax. Anyone who believes in it is ether uneducated useful idiot or a shill for the oligarchy.

And while you are at it, if you really care about the environment stop buying plastic crap you dont need, stop upgrading your phone every year (or 2 or 3) years, stop buying useless crap you dont need with money you dont have.
And most definitely do not buy EV because battery production is literally ruining the environment in a direct sense (look up Lithium battery production). Not to mention the toxic battery fires that produce insane amount of air pollution.

That all being said, “Climate Change” is a political hoax on the level of a religious cult millions have been duped in to believing.
(y):love:👍
Well I stopped pouring out my used motor oil on the ground and now just throw it in the trash so the dump can have it.😁
When I worked in the oilfield the roads would get dusty. The land owner would call the leasee and they would have a hotoiler go to their tank battery and pick up a load of crude oil, about 1000gal, and drive down the road with a spray bar on his truck to knock down the dust. Worked great and is where the term blacktop came from.

Back