diy solar

diy solar

What do you think of these braided interconnects?

hammick

Please look at this spec sheet and quote and give me your thoughts. These are flexible tin plate copper rated at 280 amps (40 degree Celsius rise). Pads are doubled up at .75" x .75" Length is 4.5" with holes at 3.75" Since they are flexible I can use the same interconnect for connecting the return 8 cells in my 16s cube pack. If I build my own from copper bar I will have to buy a drill press.

Thanks.

Attachments

• BAFB-120920DWG.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 129
  • BrianAmickFB120920.pdf
    165.3 KB · Views: 61
Anybody see any issues with using these interconnects (spec sheet in first post) with my 16s 280ah Lishen pack and 5500 watt inverter? It is a rare day that my inverter ever sees anything close to 100 amps continuous.

I'm hoping to order these today.

I didn't convert to metric, but seems these are similar to the ones I make. If so, I highly recommend it.
Upnorthandpersonal,

your DIY braided busbars look great.

I was also planing to use braided busbars for a mobile application, due to possible cell movement. There are some retail sellers of this style of bus bar of differing lengths.

Hammick, are these for the EVE 280ah cells? Is there a reason you are custom ordering?

Last edited:
Hammick, are these for the EVE 280ah cells? Is there a reason you are custom ordering?
They are for Lishen 272ah cells but pretty much identical to the EVE. This battery project is wearing me thin. I could make my own out of copper bar but by the time I buy a drill press and the bits needed plus the copper I'd probably be close to the $220 these things are going to cost me.

Please look at this spec sheet and quote and give me your thoughts. These are flexible tin plate copper rated at 280 amps (40 degree Celsius rise). Pads are doubled up at .75" x .75" Length is 4.5" with holes at 3.75" Since they are flexible I can use the same interconnect for connecting the return 8 cells in my 16s cube pack. If I build my own from copper bar I will have to buy a drill press.

Thanks.

You will likely get more responses if you post a link.

Some folks don’t open attachments as a rule.

You will likely get more responses if you post a link.

Some folks don’t open attachments as a rule.
Only link I could do is Dropbox. Do people think that is safer?

Last edited:
You are considering ordering these from Storm Power Components....correct? If so here is the link I found. Is this what you are looking at?

Flexible Insulated Bus Bar | Storm Power Components
Yes Storm Power Components but I'm looking at their braided interconnects.

They are for Lishen 272ah cells but pretty much identical to the EVE. This battery project is wearing me thin. I could make my own out of copper bar but by the time I buy a drill press and the bits needed plus the copper I'd probably be close to the $220 these things are going to cost me.
Why do you need to buy a drill press? You can simply use a hand drill.

Why do you need to buy a drill press? You can simply use a hand drill.
I can't answer for Hammick, but the reason I spent $60 on a cheap Harbor Freight drill press and clamp is for the precision and speed in repeatedly doing almost 100 holes in custom buss bars. It all depends on where you are standing.

I can't answer for Hammick, but the reason I spent $60 on a cheap Harbor Freight drill press and clamp is for the precision and speed in repeatedly doing almost 100 holes in custom buss bars. It all depends on where you are standing.
I have one as well at my shop. My point is, you can certainly make a nice set of buss bars with a simple hand drill.

Hmmm... In constructing my LMO/NMC bank, I'm going to need about $400 in copper and over 800 holes. It is decided. I am buying a drill press for $54.99. :)

@hammick shouldn't you be getting more than 15 of these? or are you top balancing with something else?

Most important, hold in a vice and keep your hands away (best to find a way to secure the vice hands free.)
Drill has as tendency to punch through metal straps and flip them around.
Drilling through a plywood guide could be good, holds the material down.
Maybe a plywood jig with a pin for the other hole in the busbar, repeats a set spacing.

400 busbars? Sounds like your cells are too small. Or is this to power a submarine?
For my AGM I paid $80 for 10 pre-crimped cables in 4/0.
Most of my fabrication has been U-channel and conduit.

Most important, hold in a vice and keep your hands away (best to find a way to secure the vice hands free.)
Drill has as tendency to punch through metal straps and flip them around.
Drilling through a plywood guide could be good, holds the material down.
Maybe a plywood jig with a pin for the other hole in the busbar, repeats a set spacing.

400 busbars? Sounds like your cells are too small. Or is this to power a submarine?
For my AGM I paid $80 for 10 pre-crimped cables in 4/0.
Most of my fabrication has been U-channel and conduit.

Depends on how you define a bus bar. Most will be long with multiple holes in them. Cells are a bit small, 27Ah each. 416 LMO/NMC. Repurposed PHEV cells purchased long before I realized I could have built LFP for about 25% more with FAR less labor. :)

Hmmm... In constructing my LMO/NMC bank, I'm going to need about $400 in copper and over 800 holes. It is decided. I am buying a drill press for $54.99. :)

Do you have a local makerspace? Often they will have precision machinery and will help you with the fabrication.

Do you have a local makerspace? Often they will have precision machinery and will help you with the fabrication.

Not sure. There used to be one, but it shut down. Might be worth checking into. Thanks.

This american supplier offers a variety of braided battery straps / busbars:

For example this 70mm should be the correct "center to center" dimension for the 280AH cells ( $9 )

Note: The holes & hardware are 8mm - ideally one would want 6mm to suit the 280ah EVE / Lishen cells...

Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 1.00.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Back