diy solar

diy solar

What is the best choice for reflective surface paint under Bi-facial panel(s)?

If I were doing something like this myself, I would not use paint.
I would buy a very thin sheet of mirror backed stainless steel.
It will last forever, very easy to keep clean and looking good, and easily removable.

If I were doing something like this myself, I would not use paint.
I would buy a very thin sheet of mirror backed stainless steel.
It will last forever, very easy to keep clean and looking good, and easily removable.
Mirror backed stainless steel? What's the reflecting of that? I bet it's not better than white paint

Mirror backed stainless steel? What's the reflecting of that? I bet it's not better than white paint
Sure is.
Mirror stainless can be polished to act as a real mirror, very efficient at reflecting all light.
You cannot see your own reflection in white paint !

Unpolished it looks like a stainless steel kitchen sink (or urinal) even unpolished it still reflects much better than any paint.
Truckers love this stuff, its almost like chrome, but much more durable and easier to maintain.

Look at the reflections in the fuel tanks, rear mudguards, and front bumper of this truck:

Attachments

• mirrir stainless.jpg
    mirrir stainless.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 6
Sure is.
Mirror stainless can be polished to act as a real mirror, very efficient at reflecting all light.
You cannot see your own reflection in white paint !

Unpolished it looks like a stainless steel kitchen sink (or urinal) even unpolished it still reflects much better than any paint.
Truckers love this stuff, its almost like chrome, but much more durable and easier to maintain.

Look at the reflections in the fuel tanks, rear mudguards, and front bumper of this truck:
Polished stainless steel has a lower solar reflectivity index score then bright white.

Also, read the article posted above

Polished stainless steel has a lower solar reflectivity index score then bright white.

Also, read the article posted above
The article says most white paint only reflects about 80% to 90% of solar heat.
Their "super paint" hits 98% which is pretty good for paint.

A metal reflector will easily beat white paint for reflectivity. For optical wavelengths in the visible spectrum, natural silver is the best, which is why mirrors are "silvered".
At infrared frequencies gold is better than than silver. You may have noticed space vehicles often use a lot of (real) gold foil. Not white paint !

The article says most white paint only reflects about 80% to 90% of solar heat.
Their "super paint" hits 98% which is pretty good for paint.

A metal reflector will easily beat white paint for reflectivity. For optical wavelengths in the visible spectrum, natural silver is the best, which is why mirrors are "silvered".
At infrared frequencies gold is better than than silver. You may have noticed space vehicles often use a lot of (real) gold foil. Not white paint !
You are quite wrong. What is the ACTUAL SRI of polished stainless steel or regular stainless steel?

You are quite wrong. What is the ACTUAL SRI of polished stainless steel or regular stainless steel?
I expect that only the part of the spectrum the solar panels can use will matter - for the PV collection part. The heat reflection part is a separate matter.

Can you find a link to a source that compares white paint to pure silver as an optical reflector ?

The guys building mirror reflectors for astronomical telescopes sure do not use white paint.

I expect that only the part of the spectrum the solar panels can use will matter - for the PV collection part. The heat refection part is a separate matter.
You could be right about the required spectrum, but it would make an interesting test to compare a large mirror to a similar sized white painted board.
Place a small solar panel so its completely shaded, then reflect some sunlight onto it via reflection only.
I have never tried this, but I would be very surprised if paint wins.
Its mid winter down here in Australia, so not much chance here of any good sun.

I would be even more surprised if a white painted surface survived as well as stainless steel over a few years of outdoor exposure.

Can you find a link to a source that compares white paint to pure silver as an optical reflector ?

The guys building mirror reflectors for astronomical telescopes sure do not use white paint.
Yes. But I asked first. What is the SRI of polished stainless steel?
I would be even more surprised if a white painted surface survived as well as stainless steel over a few years of outdoor exposure.
Why wouldn't it?

Surfaces get whiter through exposure to the sun so a white surface would just get whiter over time.

Except that it would happen very slowly since bright white absorbs very little of the damaging sun rays, compared to other colors

Back