diy solar

diy solar

What is this PCB module connected to the positive and negative electrode of the each individual cell? I have never seen anything like this...

Monitor/balancers, pre-bms era.

These where pretty common on older setups. Those likely just start burning off current above some arbitrary voltage.

The more sophisticated ones had a single signal cable that could engage a control circuit. Each was connected to the next in series. At the ends of the series, those could be connected to a relay or an input. If any of the monitors observed an errant voltage, they could open or close the circuit to trigger some sort of secondary cut off.

Monitor/balancers, pre-bms era.

These where pretty common on older setups. Those likely just start burning off current above some arbitrary voltage.

The more sophisticated ones had a single signal cable that could engage a control circuit. Each was connected to the next in series. At the ends of the series, those could be connected to a relay or an input. If any of the monitors observed an errant voltage, they could open or close the circuit to trigger some sort of secondary cut off.
Thanks, thats interesting.

Starting from the 1st cell (left ) they all daisy chain to the last cell 20th. That first senseboard has a connection that goes to the cpu, from there connects to shunt, fuses, solenoids.
20191103_043134.jpg

It also has a cable ran into my 5th wheel to a display. The display can be switched to view all cells or see the state of the batteries/ system.
20211229_074136.jpg

Here are the newer senseboards I put on 2 years ago.
20200129_153832.jpg

Mine are also balancers as they start burning off somewhere around 3.7V. Little resistors get hot.

Given that the OP's pics have no connections between monitors or other devices, their only function could be balancing.
There must be a connection else they can’t balance either. I see no suitable balancing resistors on these boards so I suspect they are not passive balancers

I suspect it is not installed correctly and is doing nothing

There must be a connection else they can’t balance either.

You already corrected yourself in the next sentence.

I see no suitable balancing resistors on these boards so I suspect they are not passive balancers

No one has said "active" balancers until you implied it.

What's "suitable"? I definitely see some things that could be resistors in the OP's blurry picture. "suitable" for passive balancing is often 30-70mA, and I bet they'd fit the bill.

You already corrected yourself in the next sentence.

No one has said "active" balancers until you implied it.

What's "suitable"? I definitely see some things that could be resistors in the OP's blurry picture. "suitable" for passive balancing is often 30-70mA, and I bet they'd fit the bill.
Well unless there is a communications link from each module somewhere it’s not doing either monitoring or balancing.

70mA would take forever to balance those cells I suspect especially if severely out of balance

Back