diy solar

diy solar

What solar inverters will start a 240v 1hp deep well submersible pump?

JohnFranklin56

I am looking for a single 240v split phase solar inverter in the 6000w range that is expandable like the eg4 6000xp. The question is “will it start a 2 wire 240v 1hp motor“. Or a different unit that will work. Needs to have a very low idle current draw.

I have a 2 wire - 240vac - 1hp deep well submersible pump.
all measurements were taken from the breaker panel.
voltage 239 volts
Inrush current is 22.85 amps
max running current is 10.53 amps
normal running amps is 8.79 amps

Will, it would be nice if you could test different inverters on starting a 1 hp well pump. There are a lot of people who have wells and starting a induction load can tap out a lot of inverters. It would make a great video. Thanks for all your help!

My SRNE ASF 10kw handles my 1hp deep well pump no problem, I clamped it at ~40a per leg.
Unfortunately the ASF split phase parallel version is not available yet. The SRNE HYP can be paralleled with the current version.
My TP6048 also handled the well pump.

I took my 1.5hp (I think its a 3 wire (has a controller)) off grid last year. 24V 6kw sungold low frequency inverter. Two 400w panels charge the battery during the day. sometimes the inverter beeps for overload but that is expected when its kicking about 10kw for a second to start the pump. low frequency has some serious draws for idle, I keep mine on power saver mode and the 5kw battery is good for about 3 days fully overcast.

You should get your own well ^^ :D
One important step towards being independent of crappy Gov infrastructure...

Only thing I pay for atm. is my trash fee.
I would like to.
I can't justify the cost, up on my hill.
And municipal water is cheap.

Schneider XW+6848 always starts my 1hp pump. 38A inrush, 9.5A running. Fed with a primary array of 4500W. I mostly wait till the panels are putting out 2000+W before turning on the pump, but I have started the pump at 9pm just to see it work.

Back when I had just one MPP 6048 with 200 Ah battery, it could start and run my 120 volt Well pump (168 foot deep well).
MPP 6048's are not 'low idle', just lower than the LVX6048.
The inrush is one issue, (size and quality of the pump, efficiency, and what static pressure it is working against)
The inverter output is another, (capacity, overload it can handle and for how long)
And enough battery behind that inverter is a third. (your 22.85A 240v is 5484W, if you have a 48 volt battery, this needs to be capable of 5484/48 =114A without tripping).
It would be nice to be able to see testing inverters against motor loads, - Will does this all the time with his car lift. If we knew the in-rush current of the lift would be handy.

I am looking for a single 240v split phase solar inverter in the 6000w range that is expandable like the eg4 6000xp. The question is “will it start a 2 wire 240v 1hp motor“. Or a different unit that will work. Needs to have a very low idle current draw.

voltage 239 volts

Will, it would be nice if you could test different inverters on starting a 1 hp well pump. There are a lot of people who have wells and starting a induction load can tap out a lot of inverters. It would make a great video. Thanks for all your help!
I have a Gould 1.5 hp 3 wre Franklin motor starts with a trace sw 4024 with a 5k step up transformer.

voltage 239 volts
That inrush sounds low to me for a 2-wire pump. I'd expect closer to 4x's the running current. I've got a 1hp 3-wire pump that I'll measure the inrush amps on when I can get a meter from work. My personal long discontinued Fluke 336 appears to have died as it gave me some nonsensical readings just now. (No I'm not crying, I just got something in my eyes)

That inrush sounds low to me for a 2-wire pump. I'd expect closer to 4x's the running current. I've got a 1hp 3-wire pump that I'll measure the inrush amps on when I can get a meter from work. My personal long discontinued Fluke 336 appears to have died as it gave me some nonsensical readings just now. (No I'm not crying, I just got something in my eyes)
Probably a soft start or a Grundfos

200 amps thru a jk bms.... Sorry I took so long. No indication of a reply
and with 200A available, no issue when the inverter calls for 114A.
I went through this same issue for starting some pretty large stationary equipment, 2-5Hp induction motors. As long as the inverters could pull 200A each then starting motors was a non-issue.

Back