diy solar

diy solar

well pump

pegleg pete

i am running a 1hp 240 well pump 800 feet from main home panel..will 2

EG4 6.5kW Off-Grid Inverters | 6500EX-48 and 3​

EG4 [LifePower4] 48V 100AH Lithium Batterys run this pump.. the wire size is #10​

i am running a 1hp 240 well pump 800 feet from main home panel..will 2

EG4 6.5kW Off-Grid Inverters | 6500EX-48 and 3​

EG4 [LifePower4] 48V 100AH Lithium Batterys run this pump.. the wire size is #10​

There is not enough information about the pump to answer the question but we can make some guesses.

• Run Time Current draw.
    1HP, 240V motors will typically run ~8Amps. The inverter should be able to run that.
  • Voltage Drop
    The 800 Ft is a long way. You need to use a voltage drop calculator to determine the voltage at the pump and then see if it is within specs of the pump. (Most well pumps have a reasonably wide voltage range so you are probably OK)
  • Start Surge
    Depending on the pump the start surge may be what gets you. If the pump does not have a soft-start, the surge could be in the range of 30-40A AC. The inverters can supply that, but the voltage drop during the surge might be a problem. You need to run the voltage drop calculations with the surge current and see what the voltage at the pump will be.
  • Energy storage.
    1 HP is 748W. At 52V that is 748/52V = 14A DC. (With inefficentcies it is probably closer to 16A (or more). That gives you 300Ah/16A=18hr of run time on a full battery.

If you are talking submersible, I have had good luck with a solar well pump. I use a Grundfos SQFlex. No batteries, charge controllers, or inverters. Hooked directly to the panels. As the name implies, the pump is pretty flexible. It will run off AC too. Just need a tank to store above ground for nighttime use. I put it in when my AC pump went out. Close to the same price as a AC unit.

If you are talking submersible, I have had good luck with a solar well pump. I use a Grundfos SQFlex. No batteries, charge controllers, or inverters. Hooked directly to the panels. As the name implies, the pump is pretty flexible. It will run off AC too. Just need a tank to store above ground for nighttime use. I put it in when my AC pump went out. Close to the same price as a AC unit.

SQ are magical.

Back