diy solar

diy solar

well pump..

pegleg pete

i am running a 1hp 240 well pump 800 feet from main home panel..will 2

EG4 6.5kW Off-Grid Inverters | 6500EX-48 and 3​

EG4 [LifePower4] 48V 100AH Lithium Batterys run this pump.. the wire size is #10​

i am running a 1hp 240 well pump 800 feet from main home panel..will 2

EG4 6.5kW Off-Grid Inverters | 6500EX-48 and 3​

EG4 [LifePower4] 48V 100AH Lithium Batterys run this pump.. the wire size is #10​

What is the surge current or LRA of your pump?
Have you measured the running pump curren?
Have you measured the starting current with the INRUSH function of a clamp AC ammeter?
Is the 800' both horizontal and vertical distance?

1hp is going to consume around 1200W
5X surge is 6000W.

Rough calc says 3.6% drop in voltage due to wiring losses:

That 3.6% drop will require 3.6% additional current to provide the needed power. Not a biggie.

Gut says 13kW ought to start it, but I'd want to confirm the numbers with known specifications or direct measurements.

His pump is only a 1 hp according to op

I understand as I made calculations using 1hp. Unfortunately, my failing memory can't recall the details, but the nature of the pumps operation and installation (which was typical for the type) prevented use of the soft start.

Doesn't hurt to have the OP ask though.

I can run a 3/4 HP submersable well pump on an EG4 3000 watt inverter running at 120 volts, but if my water heater calls for heating I will trip out the inverter so I have 2 3000 watt inverters in parallel.

I understand as I made calculations using 1hp. Unfortunately, my failing memory can't recall the details, but the nature of the pumps operation and installation (which was typical for the type) prevented use of the soft start.

Doesn't hurt to have the OP ask though.
Interesting if you can pull up the info from the archives (if you remember) it would be good to get the information, always learning it seems like there’s something that throws an wrench in the works even on the best of plans

i agree it shouldn’t be a problem to run that load but a soft start could be used if a problem arises
1 hp motor, no problem.

800' and #10 AWG wire? We need to know specifics of the pump to calculate voltage drop and required wire.

will this work..

Klein Tools CL700 Autoranging Digital Clamp Meter, TRMS 600Amp, AC/DC Volts, Current, LoZ, Continuity, Frequency, NCVT, Temp, More, 1000V,Black/Orange​

No. Simply has Min/Max, not inrush.

1 hp motor, no problem.

800' and #10 AWG wire? We need to know specifics of the pump to calculate voltage drop and required wire.

Post #2

The meter linked below works for inrush, price spiked...
As reference my 1hp Goulds pump ~270' ? pulls ~37a per leg on startup.
I run a TP6048 inverter, handles it fine with a very minor flicker of the lights at times.

If you are talking submersible, I have had good luck with a solar well pump. I use a Grundfos SQFlex. No batteries, charge controllers, or inverters. Hooked directly to the panels. As the name implies, the pump is pretty flexible. It will run off AC too. Just need a tank to store above ground for nighttime use. I put it in when my AC pump went out. Close to the same price as a AC unit.

i agree it shouldn’t be a problem to run that load but a soft start could be used if a problem arises
What I have read is that soft-starters are NOT a good idea for submerged well-pumps. As I understand it, lubrication of the pump bearings is with the flowing water itself, and soft-starters making the pump initially spin more slowly, with more wear on the bearings.

BTW, I have a 1hp pump, 380' down, and my XW+6848 powers it effortlessly. It draws about 9.5A while running, but ~38A right at startup.

I have a 1 hp submersible pump, the Growatt SPF 6000T is a low frequency unit with a transformer and it starts my pump effortlessly. If you haven't bought equipment yet, you might want to consider the 12k version since you're looking for more power than I have.

Back