diy solar

diy solar

well pump..

I have a 1 hp submersible pump, the Growatt SPF 6000T is a low frequency unit with a transformer and it starts my pump effortlessly. If you haven't bought equipment yet, you might want to consider the 12k version since you're looking for more power than I have.
I run an entire house with pool, 4T geo and 1 1/2 hp well without issue. Sol Ark 15k.

What I have read is that soft-starters are NOT a good idea for submerged well-pumps. As I understand it, lubrication of the pump bearings is with the flowing water itself, and soft-starters making the pump initially spin more slowly, with more wear on the bearings.

BTW, I have a 1hp pump, 380' down, and my XW+6848 powers it effortlessly. It draws about 9.5A while running, but ~38A right at startup.

THANK YOU!!! That was the reason.

The meter linked below works for inrush, price spiked...
As reference my 1hp Goulds pump ~270' ? pulls ~37a per leg on startup.
I run a TP6048 inverter, handles it fine with a very minor flicker of the lights at times.
Yes, that meter will work, but note the new price, more than double what's mentioned. Still, not a bad price for an inrush capable meter.
1681867014851.png

Yes, that meter will work, but note the new price, more than double what's mentioned. Still, not a bad price for an inrush capable meter.
View attachment 145462
I wish I bought a second one when it was down to $35. I've been more than happy with it, though I've never used a fluke or any of the other cadillacs.
I'd like to know who the OEM is... I imagine amazon isn't using anyone to inferior as they have a name to protect...
Note the price seems to be coming back down, slowly.

THANK YOU!!! That was the reason.
that seems odd to me we actually installed variable frequency drive pumps on the ranch due to the depth and slow start the pumps last longer no slamming of the system on sudden surges

The grundfos sq flex run 500 rpm to 3000 range and RPS pumps are variable also along with Franklin and pentair units so maybe it’s only some models that are affected by low speed on the pump end causing wear between the impeller and wearing rings the bearings run in oil and should not be affected

Never heard of water lubricated pump bearings before, I know they normally sleeve the pump motor section to the pump inlet so that all the water pumped goes past the motor to increase the motor cooling, the shaft seal is water lubricated and cooled hence running the pump dry is disastrous. Generally centrifugal pumps start with little load as moving the water creates the load so I think a soft start will not damage anything.

e, I know they normally sleeve the pump motor section to the pump inlet so that all the water pumped goes past the motor to increase the motor cooling, the shaft seal is water lubricated and cooled hence running the pump dry is disastrous. Generally centrifugal pumps start with little load as moving the water creates the load so I think a soft start will not damage anything.

For deep wells and/or expensive pumps, a pump protector is a great thing to have. I know they've saved my butt. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/cycle-sensor-pump-monitor (may not work with variable frequency pumps)

What I have read is that soft-starters are NOT a good idea for submerged well-pumps. As I understand it, lubrication of the pump bearings is with the flowing water itself, and soft-starters making the pump initially spin more slowly, with more wear on the bearings.

BTW, I have a 1hp pump, 380' down, and my XW+6848 powers it effortlessly. It draws about 9.5A while running, but ~38A right at startup.
I believe you are thinking of VFD (variable frequency drive) where the pump is pulse width modulated up to full speed. Soft start would not have any effect on bearing film.

Never heard of water lubricated pump bearings before, I know they normally sleeve the pump motor section to the pump inlet so that all the water pumped goes past the motor to increase the motor cooling, the shaft seal is water lubricated and cooled hence running the pump dry is disastrous. Generally centrifugal pumps start with little load as moving the water creates the load so I think a soft start will not damage anything.
Not lubricated bearings but when the pump is spinning, there is a thin film of water between surfaces (such as the impeller) and bearing surfaces. This is what helps with axial force (thrust). If that water film is not present it side loads the bearing.

that seems odd to me we actually installed variable frequency drive pumps on the ranch due to the depth and slow start the pumps last longer no slamming of the system on sudden surges

The grundfos sq flex run 500 rpm to 3000 range and RPS pumps are variable also along with Franklin and pentair units so maybe it’s only some models that are affected by low speed on the pump end causing wear between the impeller and wearing rings the bearings run in oil and should not be affected
If the pump was designed for VFD, it will be fine.

It is when VFD is added that a problem occurs.

If the pump was properly designed it will be Ok. In a multi stage pump the axial displacement of the pump rotor is to move to the suction low pressure area but this is compensated for in the design by bringing the high pressure from the pump to work against the rotor movement toward the suction side and is ballanced. So in a slow start less water will flow resulting in a lower suction pressure and also a lower head pressure so the ballance remains. So it is all in the design of the pump. If it was working OK before it will continue to work until you run out of water one day and the pump overheats or just wears out from fair wear and tear not to mention the effects of galvanic corosion working on the pump or motor casing.

Back