diy solar

diy solar

What solar inverters will start a 240v 1hp deep well submersible pump?

Folks responding with their pump situation might want to say how deep their pump is. The load is much greater starting with a few 100 feet of water column than without...

Folks responding with their pump situation might want to say how deep their pump is. The load is much greater starting with a few 100 feet of water column than without...
Really we should say what the In-Rush current is, but like myself most people will not have a DMM that can record that information. Recently bought a meter that can, and ran all over the shop just to see what a chop saw, a metal cutting skillsaw, compressor and a welder would peak at. Some were very high in-rush loads.
I don't recall if I did measure the well pump! (ok I will go get a number and edit it to this post).
I know Will likes to use his car lift as his ultimate in-rush test, even going so far as to put the heavier car on the lift, but we don't know what his car lift in-rush current is.

edit: ran some water, when the pump clicked on the In-rush was 15.6A on my 120v pump.
And 5.8A running steady a few seconds after starting.

Last edited:

My SRNE ASF 10kw handles my 1hp deep well pump no problem, I clamped it at ~40a per leg.
Unfortunately the ASF split phase parallel version is not available yet. The SRNE HYP can be paralleled with the current version.
My TP6048 also handled the well pump.
Well is 300' deep, 35' to bedrock per the online water well records I found for my house but I'm not sure where the pump is hanging.

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_192118.jpg
    IMG_20200906_192118.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220430_184530.jpg
    IMG_20220430_184530.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 7
and with 200A available, no issue when the inverter calls for 114A.
I went through this same issue for starting some pretty large stationary equipment, 2-5Hp induction motors. As long as the inverters could pull 200A each then starting motors was a non-issue.
I sure you know that the condition of the start capacitor can have a big effect on the starting current. I've replaced mine a few times over the years....

I am looking for a single 240v split phase solar inverter in the 6000w range that is expandable like the eg4 6000xp. The question is “will it start a 2 wire 240v 1hp motor“. Or a different unit that will work. Needs to have a very low idle current draw.

I have a 2 wire - 240vac - 1hp deep well submersible pump.
all measurements were taken from the breaker panel.
voltage 239 volts
Inrush current is 22.85 amps
max running current is 10.53 amps
normal running amps is 8.79 amps

Will, it would be nice if you could test different inverters on starting a 1 hp well pump. There are a lot of people who have wells and starting a induction load can tap out a lot of inverters. It would make a great video. Thanks for all your help!
I have an AIMS 12 volt 4000 watt LF inverter and 3 200ah lead acid batteries. It starts my 3/4 hp well pump without issue. But it has a 20 amp breaker so a 6000 watt with a 30 amp breaker would be better with a 1 hp. My pump is a 2 wire at 160 foot depth. It's not a solar inverter though.

edit: ran some water, when the pump clicked on the In-rush was 15.6A on my 120v pump.
And 5.8A running steady a few seconds after starting.
Makes me want to do another test:
since the in-rush is below 20A 120v - the MPP2724 (my portable unit) should be able to start and run this pump. That would be very good to know, in case of a problem/working on the main 48v system. Hum :unsure: :unsure: ...be back in a bit.

Edit: okay connected it up, and let it cycle, the MPP2724 starts and runs the well pump no problem.
I left it connected for the night, will check on it in the morning. Kinda cool knowing the portable inverter/sodium 100Ah battery combo will run the water system if/when needed.
Let the pump run all night (ie cycle on off against the bladder tank) and it ran problem free including morning showers/dishes etc. This is a 1Hp Goulds pump with Franklin starter set up 120v single phase.

One point for anyone following along this thread, when I ordered the Sodium battery, I had them use a 150A output BMS rather than 100A (for a small up charge) meaning this battery can match the potential max draw of the inverter. And since the Sodium runs higher voltage at full charge, the inverter may pull slightly lower current.

Last edited:
Back