diy solar

diy solar

1.5 hp 240v AC deep well pump start up surge of 40amps

Just a quick note: One of the neighbors down the road has the same 5000W Aims inverter, at 24V, and it does NOT reliably start his 1.5hp well pump each time he attempts to start it. Based on my own experience with his inverter, I would NOT recommend it.

For my own pump, I've been using a Schneider XW+6848 for six years now, with flawless performance each and every time. I can start my 1hp pump (38A inrush) at 9pm in complete darkness on a Trojan L-16 battery bank (380Ah). The XW+6848 is rated at 52A max at 240V, so I would say it would have no problem starting your pump. As a general rule though, I never attempt to run my pump unless the incoming solar is >2000W.

Just a quick note: One of the neighbors down the road has the same 5000W Aims inverter, at 24V, and it does NOT reliably start his 1.5hp well pump each time he attempts to start it. Based on my own experience with his inverter, I would NOT recommend it.

For my own pump, I've been using a Schneider XW+6848 for six years now, with flawless performance each and every time. I can start my 1hp pump (38A inrush) at 9pm in complete darkness on a Trojan L-16 battery bank (380Ah). The XW+6848 is rated at 52A max at 240V, so I would say it would have no problem starting your pump. As a general rule though, I never attempt to run my pump unless the incoming solar is >2000W.
Is that this one: $3,107.87

The OP asked for one below $1000 and may not have that big system you have.

If your neighbor still has the AIMS it must still be working ;)

Is that this one: $3,107.87

The OP asked for one below $1000 and may not have that big system you have.

So you're standing by your AIMS recommendation? On what basis? It's a lightweight high frequency unit with negligible surge capability, but you're recommending it because you have some magical way of computing surge that you won't share with the group.

Gotcha. You're really starting to show your true colors here - not in providing meaningful help but to be perceived and an "authority" or "expert" and find a new market for your products.

If your neighbor still has the AIMS it must still be working ;)

This isn't relevant in any way. Whether they still have it or not, it's not reliable. The OP did not ask for a recommendation that would NOT reliably start his pump.

I've recommended an inverter I have personally installed, touched, configured and observed operating a 3hp 700' deep Grundfos pump with a 100% success rate. The inverter has never failed to operate as expected when needed.

$760.

I really don't think you have anything to offer here besides disappointment and outright foolish recommendations.

I really don't think you have anything to offer here besides disappointment and outright foolish recommendations.
And yet I seem to get lots of likes on my suggestions from members?

This is DIY solar so I would expect lots of small system and off grid system discussions.

You have tried since day one to start a fight with me but I am not playing your game.

Have a great day!

And yet I seem to get lots of likes on my suggestions from members?

Really? That's important to you? Should we compare likes now?

Pretty easy to trick someone with no experience into a like if you sound like you know what you're talking about even when you don't.

This is DIY solar so I would expect lots of small system and off grid system discussions.

Absolutely. Powering a 1.5hp submersible pump has requirements that are independent of system size or grid presence. Your stated

You have tried since day one to start a fight with me but I am not playing your game.

Not at all. I'm seeing someone posting marketing data presented as technical data and/or incorrect/bad recommendations. I call that out to maintain the quality of the information presented on this site.

Really? That's important to you? Should we compare likes now?

Pretty easy to trick someone with no experience into a like if you sound like you know what you're talking about even when you don't.

Absolutely. Powering a 1.5hp submersible pump has requirements that are independent of system size or grid presence. Your stated

Not at all. I'm seeing someone posting marketing data presented as technical data and/or incorrect/bad recommendations. I call that out to maintain the quality of the information presented on this site.
Actually you posted an inverter you said in another post was a cheap knock off of an AIMS and you still haven't produced the surge watts for the pump and appears you are not able to?

Here is an idea:

Post your own system for comments/discussion and criticism.

Actually you posted an inverter you said in another post was a cheap knock off of an AIMS

I said nothing of the sort. I said Sigineer makes it, and I said Sigineer makes AIMS inverters.

and you still haven't produced the surge watts for the pump and appears you are not able to?

I have. Since you're not here to help me, if you want to help the OP and support your ridiculous recommendation, you should correct me, do it right and educate everybody. Otherwise, you're just pretending to be competent and unwilling to educate, or are scared to be shown to be a fool/fraud.

Post your own system for comments/discussion and criticism.

It's in my profile and my signature. How is any of this relevant?

I have. Since you're not here to help me, if you want to help the OP and support your ridiculous recommendation, you should correct me, do it right and educate everybody. Otherwise, you're just pretending to be competent and unwilling to educate, or are scared to be shown to be a fool/fraud.

It's in my profile and my signature. How is any of this relevant?
I have read several of your comments to new members where you basically call them idiots and touting yourself as the "tech" expert everyone should listen to.

So I wanted to give you an opportunity to amaze us with your own RV system and fantastic container box set up.

I am sure the people you insult will stick around and rush back to thank you for all that help!

A forum like Will's thrives on new members that you appear to be hell bent of driving away.

Don't bother responding as I have no time for that nonsense!

ADDED:

Even though that is what I was told to do by the other Tech.

Ego: You didn't talk to a tech. You talked to a new hire that hadn't been trained, you're remembering it wrong, or that tech assumed this unit had a 250Voc limit, which many do.

He then calculated which panels were better for my system, either the 6-250 watt panels or the 4-370 watt panels. He advised I should run the 6-250 watt panels. 3 in a series and 3 in a series and use a combiner and then plug it in? He advised I could have damaged the Growatt by running too much voltage through it. He said the Maximum PV array open circuit voltage is 145 vdc?

Ego: This tech is giving you the correct information based on the specs you have provided.

So now I'm even more confused. I'm a DIY guy and can put anything together but I don't really understand the numbers. I wanted to add panels so my batteries would charge quicker. And after speaking to the tech people I'm not feeling confident I'm getting the right answers

Ego: You are talking to the right tech now.

Last edited:
I have read several of your comments to new members where you basically call them idiots and touting yourself as the "tech" expert everyone should listen to.

So I wanted to give you an opportunity to amaze us with your own RV system and fantastic container box set up.

I am sure the people you insult will stick around and rush back to thank you for all that help!

A forum like Will's thrives on new members that you appear to be hell bent of driving away.

Don't bother responding as I have no time for that nonsense!

LOL. Right. That's me.

So, basically, you just wanted to change the subject from a legit need to defend your own recommendations/claims and actually help the OP AND the forum at large since I (or anyone else on this forum that uses the same method) can't calculate surge loads. Cool. Thanks.

Full disclosure, I'm no longer considering you if I ever need cabin plans. I just can't justify supporting you.

Back