diy solar

diy solar

1.5 hp 240v AC deep well pump start up surge of 40amps

Per post #2

Beast of an inverter that I've personally seen handle a 3hp grundfos pump @ 700' depth.

$760

4 total in a 24V configuration, 2S2P, would probably cover it.
Thank you very much again. Is the inverter (6kW Pure Sine Wave Inverter) a low frequency inverter? I have read that that's best for the pump.

Thank you very much again. Is the inverter (6kW Pure Sine Wave Inverter) a low frequency inverter? I have read that that's best for the pump.

Yes. It's heavy enough to cause a prolapse if you bear down too hard. Okay, maybe not, but I made myself laugh. Weight is a very strong indicator of a large transformer with a legit surge capability.

Again, this ran a 3hp grundfos without a single issue for about a year. Continuous output was 4000W (something his PV struggled to handle). It is now running a 2hp Grundfos. Continuous output is 2500W (something his 4kW barely notices at peak PV).

I am 100% confident that this inverter powered with ~400Ah of lead-acid batteries @ 24V will power your pump.

Again, my only concern is the surge capability of LFP batteries... and since this is a backup application, LFP doesn't like being held at 100% for extended durations... unlike lead-acid, which LOVES it.

Yes. It's heavy enough to cause a prolapse if you bear down too hard. Okay, maybe not, but I made myself laugh. Weight is a very strong indicator of a large transformer with a legit surge capability.

Again, this ran a 3hp grundfos without a single issue for about a year. Continuous output was 4000W (something his PV struggled to handle). It is now running a 2hp Grundfos. Continuous output is 2500W (something his 4kW barely notices at peak PV).

I am 100% confident that this inverter powered with ~400Ah of lead-acid batteries @ 24V will power your pump.

Again, my only concern is the surge capability of LFP batteries... and since this is a backup application, LFP doesn't like being held at 100% for extended durations... unlike lead-acid, which LOVES it.
Thanks Sunshine, my batteries came yesterday "LiTime 12V 230Ah Plus Low-Temp Protection LiFePO4 Battery, Built-In 200A BMS, Max 2944Wh Energy" . Think those will handle it? From what I understand Li likes to be stored at about 70%? The vendor offered me a deal for 2 more.

Thanks Sunshine, my batteries came yesterday "LiTime 12V 230Ah Plus Low-Temp Protection LiFePO4 Battery, Built-In 200A BMS, Max 2944Wh Energy" . Think those will handle it? From what I understand Li likes to be stored at about 70%? The vendor offered me a deal for 2 more.

Again, the question is if they'll handle the surge. I don't know. I tend not to trust the specifications of less expensive Chinese products.

Always consult the manufacturer's recommendation for storage. Generally speaking:

Store at 30-70% SoC.
Store in a temperature controlled environment.
Charge/discharge cycle once every 6 months.

Lower temperatures are better as the sensitivity to high SoC decreases with lower temperature. Conceptually, if you stored a battery at 100% at 5-10°C, for six months, you would see very little degradation. If you stored it at 35-40°C @ 100%, you would see significant deterioration. These numbers are to convey the concept and are not to be taken literally.

Due to hazmat regulations, Lithium batteries can't be shipped above 30% SoC. This is routinely violated, but it's rare to see a battery over 50%. Most manufacturers recommend a full charge before use for this reason.

Another concern with storage is a loss of top balance. The cells will lose their charge at slightly different rates. Over long periods of time, this can introduce a significant imbalance. Prior to deployment, it's important that all 12V be individually charged to 14.4V. If stored for a long time, I would follow it up with a parallel charge of all 12V to 14.4V for several days to give the BMS time to balance them. The typical passive BMS can burn off 0.5-1.0Ah/24 hours.

2S 2P bank would double both the run and surge currents. I would expect that could handle the surge without issue.

Again, the question is if they'll handle the surge. I don't know. I tend not to trust the specifications of less expensive Chinese products.

Always consult the manufacturer's recommendation for storage. Generally speaking:

Store at 30-70% SoC.
Store in a temperature controlled environment.
Charge/discharge cycle once every 6 months.

Lower temperatures are better as the sensitivity to high SoC decreases with lower temperature. Conceptually, if you stored a battery at 100% at 5-10°C, for six months, you would see very little degradation. If you stored it at 35-40°C @ 100%, you would see significant deterioration. These numbers are to convey the concept and are not to be taken literally.

Due to hazmat regulations, Lithium batteries can't be shipped above 30% SoC. This is routinely violated, but it's rare to see a battery over 50%. Most manufacturers recommend a full charge before use for this reason.

Another concern with storage is a loss of top balance. The cells will lose their charge at slightly different rates. Over long periods of time, this can introduce a significant imbalance. Prior to deployment, it's important that all 12V be individually charged to 14.4V. If stored for a long time, I would follow it up with a parallel charge of all 12V to 14.4V for several days to give the BMS time to balance them. The typical passive BMS can burn off 0.5-1.0Ah/24 hours.

2S 2P bank would double both the run and surge currents. I would expect that could handle the surge without issue.
2S 2P bank? Can SLA's be used in the same system as LiFePO4?

AIMS Power 5000 Watt 12Volt DC Power Inverter to 240Vac 60Hz

The AIMS Power 5000 watt inverter with 240 volts AC output is a great choice for an off grid well pump that requires 240V ac to operate. However, keep in mind that this inverter is not a "split phase" 240V ac; you will not be able to pull one leg off to create 120V ac. The 240V ac supply is accomplished through one of the two AC receptacles, or the direct connect terminal block. This inverter will accept 12v as an input and produce a modified sine wave output. First and foremost, this AIMS inverter offers some great features that are beneficial to any system. First, the front panel has digital gauges that display DC voltage and amp draw. These gauges allow the customer to actively monitor the condition of their system with easy to read gauges. Secondly, the cooling fans are thermally controlled; which means the fans will only cycle on when the inverter is under heavy loads or the inverter is getting warm internally. Whether your well pump is off grid or you need back up power for the pump, the AIMS Power 5000 watt 240V ac inverter is a great option. For over a decade, AIMS Power has offered top of the line off grid inverters and accessories for virtually any application. Aluminum case for optimal cooling.

On Amazon.

Maybe a soft-start will help.

I wonder if a couple automotive starting batteries in parallel with lithium would help in this case?
I would expect the lead acid would essentially be limited to operating once the BMS shuts off the LFP due to the low voltage drop on the LFP. I wonder if you could do something like a DC:DC converter to "charge" the LFP and add current.

I figure the lead-acid can deliver around 700A (with significant voltage drop). What they deliver at inverter low-voltage cutout (maybe 10.5V per 12V battery?) is what would be available for starting surge.

If BMS cuts out, lead-acid starts the motor and runs it. Does BMS come back online after a delay?

What does "2S 2P bank" mean?
2S = two in series connection configuration: series will double the voltage, while holding the amperage constant.
2P = two in parallel connection configuration: parallel will double the amperage, while holding the voltage constant.
2S 2P = starting with four batteries, connecting two batteries in series twice, connecting those two series pairs in parallel.
2S 2P will double the amperage and voltage of a single battery. (assuming all four are the same voltage & amperage batteries)

Yes, but is it 2-wire or 3-wire?
If start/run switching or phase-shift components are on the surface, I think there is a chance for soft-start.

AIMS Power 5000 Watt 12Volt DC Power Inverter to 240Vac 60Hz

The AIMS Power 5000 watt inverter with 240 volts AC output is a great choice for an off grid well pump that requires 240V ac to operate. However, keep in mind that this inverter is not a "split phase" 240V ac; you will not be able to pull one leg off to create 120V ac. The 240V ac supply is accomplished through one of the two AC receptacles, or the direct connect terminal block. This inverter will accept 12v as an input and produce a modified sine wave output. First and foremost, this AIMS inverter offers some great features that are beneficial to any system. First, the front panel has digital gauges that display DC voltage and amp draw. These gauges allow the customer to actively monitor the condition of their system with easy to read gauges. Secondly, the cooling fans are thermally controlled; which means the fans will only cycle on when the inverter is under heavy loads or the inverter is getting warm internally. Whether your well pump is off grid or you need back up power for the pump, the AIMS Power 5000 watt 240V ac inverter is a great option. For over a decade, AIMS Power has offered top of the line off grid inverters and accessories for virtually any application. Aluminum case for optimal cooling.

On Amazon.

Do you have personal experience with this unit with running a deep well pump, or are you just copy/pasting marketing data? Don't worry. I know the answer.

And if it's this one:

That is a horrible recommendation and absolutely, positively will not work. If you have any competence, you MUST realize that a 17.21# 5kW inverter clearly has no meaningful surge.

There are times your posts show much promise and clear value, but then you pull something like this.

Consider that if you're going to copy and paste marketing info, maybe you're not providing value and should standby and let others with more expertise in this specific area help.

The pump is a 1.5HP 2 wire 230V (1PH?) 60Hz.

has P42B0015A2 motor

9.7A Full load
11.1A Max load
47.8A Locked Rotor Amps (surge)

47.8A * 230V = 10,994W

The 6kW inverter I linked for $760 will handle that with no problem.

10,994W/25.6V/.85 = 505A @ 25.6V

So if the 600A surge is legit, you'll likely have it covered with just two batteries in series. However, that's uncomfortably close, and I'd be MUCH more confident with four of the 230Ah batteries in 2S2P.

Do you have personal experience with this unit with running a deep well pump, or are you just copy/pasting marketing data? Don't worry. I know the answer.

And if it's this one:

That is a horrible recommendation and absolutely, positively will not work. If you have any competence, you MUST realize that a 17.21# 5kW inverter clearly has no meaningful surge.

There are times your posts show much promise and clear value, but then you pull something like this.

Consider that if you're going to copy and paste marketing info, maybe you're not providing value and should standby and let others with more expertise in this specific area help.
Now tell us how much surge his pump needs since you are the expert in all things here?

Back