diy solar

diy solar

What to tell Beginners that approach you about solar

I asked them what their goals are. 19 out of 20 people say they want to save money on their electric bill or aluminate it.
I respond, a minimal system that can offset some of your electric bill will cost anywhere from $8,000 to $20,000 if they can do it themselves; or they can hire somebody for $18-$50,000. If they do it themselves they might break even in 5 to 8 years, but if they hire one of the big national installers it might take 15 or 20 years to break even if they ever do. That usually ends the conversation I offered to help them do it themselves if they’d like because even if an electrician is required and whatever jurisdiction I know them from my work history so it’s easily doable. At that point they usually ask well is it really gonna cost that much and my answer is well to replace grid power with solar power will cost anywhere from four times to 15 or 20 times as much per month because solar is expensive. However if they have a place where electricity is not available, then that cost sort of pays for itself versus to $15-$40,000 per pole depending on where you’re at but the power company wants to charge you.

I think those are the truth and that generally into the conversation right away for better or worse

Reactions: CJM
Think about the reason you want Solar, what you plan to use it for and an idea of budget. As above experimenting with a simple system and a couple of panels will give useful experience to either stop or expand to a higher capacity system. Also be aware this is electricity which is potentially very dangerous, don’t take risks getting carried away.

1- Have you daydreamed about doing solar since you first read about it in Mother News (or similar) 25 years ago? Do you think solar is cool?
For me is was Popular Science 55 years ago, but then those liars also assured me I'd have a self-flying fold up helicopter in my garage in the 21st century.
2- Is this your forever house? In spite of what you've been told you it's questionable how much if any value it will add to your house.
Much like a swimming pool - value to some, liability to others.
3- Do you owe money on your vehicles, have any credit card debt and are you maxing out your retirement? Those are much better places to put money.
What? Are you Dave Ramsey or something?

Definitely things to consider. Hopefully you've saved a few people from false expectations.

Back