diy solar

diy solar

What's Involved in Turning a Standard 60"x40" Solar Panel into a Smaller Panel?

reg

Winter: New York City Summer: Atlantic Canada
I started a thread in the Solar Generator/Micro sub-forum titled I'm Making a Portable Solar Generator & Need Recommendations for Solar Panels. I was trying to identify rigid solar panels that are smaller than standard residential panels. The reasons why I want a smaller panel are explained in the post. I've had no replies. Don't know whether what I'm looking for doesn't exist, or whether I asked the question in the wrong sub-forum.

Anyway, next question... Suppose I purchase a full size panel. What's involved if I want to make it smaller by removing some of the cells?

Thanks

Last edited:
How about buy individual cells and build your own panel?

Thanks, I didn't know that that's possible. Definitely worth investigating. Do you know if a DIY panel can achieve the kind of efficiency that a panel made by, say, LG or Panasonic can achieve, or at least close to it?

Last edited:
You could always go down to Harbor Freight, they've got several small ones.

I have several 15W commercial panels, about 16” square.
I seriously doubt disassembly is possible.

When I was looking for panels for my truck camper I was looking for a specific size first. Then got the highest wattage for that size. There are many different sizes.

I think 50w panels are about 2ft x 1.5 ft. That's small. If you kept it aimed it might be enough power.

You could always go down to Harbor Freight, they've got several small ones.

Thanks, but I want to end up with a well-built, high efficiency panel that is just smaller than 60"x40".

When I was looking for panels for my truck camper I was looking for a specific size first. Then got the highest wattage for that size. There are many different sizes.

Thanks, looks like I should start researching beyond the major name brands.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Very helpful. I clearly need to look at brands beyond LG/Panasonic, etc. and also look into @time2roll's idea of purchasing cells and putting a panel together.

I also know that Panasonic has a panel that's smaller than standard and that would probably work. It's available in Europe, but it's not on Panasonic's US site. I'll look into whether it's possible to get one.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's possible to use a third party (e.g. Victron) controller/charger with a Jackery solar panel? I've seen lots of discussions about using a third party solar panel with a Jackery Power Station, but not about this question.

Yes, but an adapter needs to be made to accept the 8mm plug to a cc... or cut the end off.

Reactions: reg
How about buy individual cells and build your own panel?

GreatScott! did just that. Interesting video. His conclusion is at 8:16 :)

Last edited:
Back