diy solar

diy solar

Where are the high efficiency LED bulbs?

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
@GXMnow was talking about the power factor of his LED bulbs and I posted they had them with higher power factors.

His 8W LED bulbs had a power factor of .78. Since you have to pay for the reactive and active power, the total consumption should be:

8Wactive / .78total/active = 10.25WTotal
Not much, but with dozens of bulbs per house and millions of homes over the years it adds up. The higher power factor LED lights burn less power for the same amount of light.

The real proof though is how much light per watt you get. This 800 lumen bulb (about equivalent to a 60W incandescent bulb) consumes 10W active power, probably has a power factor of around 75%, so, 800/10/.75 = 106 lumens/Watt, that seems pretty consistent.

While I was googling I came across this:
Lighting world first: Philips breaks 200 lumens per watt barrier

So, the new bulbs at 200 l/W are twice as efficient! The article is from 2015. So, where are these 800-lumen 4W bulbs?
Does anyone know?

Last edited:
This article from 4 years ago says you can get them in Dubai.

“The government of Dubai made an exclusive agreement with Philips, basically requiring the Dubai lamp to be installed in all new buildings for several years,” he wrote.
Says it's because they're 230 V and 50 Hz mains power, but then you should be able to get them in the EU (to which they say the EU hasn't certified them). Old article though, possibly they are available in the EU.
1645556520598.png

Are those the "Dubai" type...
The article in the second post called them "Dubai lamps", so I believe so. Ideally I'd like the 120V 60 Hz variety ; -).

That's 800 lumins for 8.5 Watts, so while they look alike, they're not the high-efficiency versions. The spec sheet says they have 74% power factor, so not on par with the >98% power factor versions either.

I’ve heard of those Dubai bulbs before. They sound pretty good. But sometimes the USA isn’t allowed to have the good stuff that’s available in other countries. Something about import regulations… regulators… I dunno. My son lives in England and he has an electric water heater in his shower. IN his shower! Oh, it’s nice, you can dial the temp up and down while showering and the changes take effect instantly but how did that thing get approved? I’d bet there’s zero chance of getting it approved in the States, the regulators would be too worried about electrocution. Would be nice though, on demand at the point of use, probably save a bunch of energy too.

His 8W LED bulbs had a power factor of .78. Since you have to pay for the reactive and active power, the total consumption should be:

8Wactive / .78total/active = 10.25WTotal

We pay for whatever watts the utility meter registers (whether correct or not.)

In the U.S., only maybe some industrial customers get charged for reactive power or otherwise for poor power factor.

As for the rest of us, possibly a meter incorrectly registers power going through it, and some could conceivably charge for VA rather than W, such that backfeeding without net metering agreement would mean paying the utility for the power we deliver.

I’ve heard of those Dubai bulbs before. They sound pretty good. But sometimes the USA isn’t allowed to have the good stuff that’s available in other countries. Something about import regulations… regulators… I dunno. My son lives in England and he has an electric water heater in his shower. IN his shower! Oh, it’s nice, you can dial the temp up and down while showering and the changes take effect instantly but how did that thing get approved? I’d bet there’s zero chance of getting it approved in the States, the regulators would be too worried about electrocution. Would be nice though, on demand at the point of use, probably save a bunch of energy too.
Point of use Instant water heaters are available here, but designed for under counter use.
Electroboom did some videos on the shower head heaters... scary.

Philips and Osram both have now >200Lm/W lightbulbs in European market.
Typical garden variety in here seem to be 80 to 100Lm/W
IKEA has actually some decent offerings in 140...150Lm/W range with good availability.

Looks like we have some new lightbulb standards are 45 lumens per watt.

That is an incredibly low bar. The cheap ones I just spot checked on Amazon were 88 lumens per watt... so the new laws don't seem overly aggressive except that they effectively bar most other forms of illumination.

Still not the 200 lumens/watt.

Update: This LED spool is 200 lumens/W if the specs are to be believed.

Last edited:
Maybe the question in the initial post has been answered but the efficiency of LEDs goes way up if you run them at 60-80% of brightnes. The illumination is adequate and the consumption is less than 50%, more or less.

Back