diy solar

diy solar

Where are you and what electricity do you use?

ianganderton

Auckland, NZ
I was wondering where in the world folks are as it seems this forum is getting pretty international. Let’s see how distributed this network is.

There are distinct differences in the electrical supplies used in different regions and while some are obvious I thought it would be interesting to see what is used and where at the same time

So let’s get going

Format - City, country. Nominal voltage, current type & frequency

I’m currently in Auckland, New Zealand. Residential power here is 230V AC 50Hz.

I’m relatively new to NZ. Before here I was in Australia for 5 years and before that 6 years in Dubai. I’m British and grew up there.

Australia and NZ use the same voltage & plugs. Their standards are largely aligned it seems.
Dubai (United Arab Emirates) used British style 3 pin plugs and 230V but because of its very international nature lots of different plug styles, especially European, were used on products.
All my British electrical equipment has functioned normally in all locations but I’m used to either changing plugs or using adaptors when needed.

Interesting fact - I was just looking at this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_New_Zealand and saw this

82% of energy for electricity generation is from renewable sources, making New Zealand one of the lowest carbon dioxide emitting countries in terms of electricity.

So where are other folks and what electricity are you using?

I was wondering where in the world folks are as it seems this forum is getting pretty international. Let’s see how distributed this network is.

There are distinct differences in the electrical supplies used in different regions and while some are obvious I thought it would be interesting to see what is used and where at the same time

So let’s get going

Format - City, country. Nominal voltage, current type & frequency

I’m currently in Auckland, New Zealand. Residential power here is 230V AC 50Hz.

I’m relatively new to NZ. Before here I was in Australia for 5 years and before that 6 years in Dubai. I’m British and grew up there.

Australia and NZ use the same voltage & plugs. Their standards are largely aligned it seems.
Dubai (United Arab Emirates) used British style 3 pin plugs and 230V but because of its very international nature lots of different plug styles, especially European, were used on products.
All my British electrical equipment has functioned normally in all locations but I’m used to either changing plugs or using adaptors when needed.

Interesting fact - I was just looking at this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_New_Zealand and saw this

82% of energy for electricity generation is from renewable sources, making New Zealand one of the lowest carbon dioxide emitting countries in terms of electricity.

So where are other folks and what electricity are you using?

I can't tell where my specific power comes from in terms of which plant, but my power company is a big mix primarily of natural gas with some coal, solar and hydro.

Kudos to NZ for their energy production.

The sun is high now for northern summer so my tilt is about 22deg. In spring and fall its 45deg and in winter 68deg.
Most panels seem to have standardized on 12v or multiples if you series them. China builds most of the solar hardware for the world market so it's pretty uniform globally.

We have a lot of hydroelectric dams here in canada. So many that historically the power company and even electricity itself are both called "Hydro".
We have some nuclear too. I don't know the mix.

Totally nuclear ... 1 Fusion source (solar) and one Fission Source (Turkey Creek), U.S. standard of 240Vrms @ 60 Hz (although GT so it fluctuates a bit)

Personally I harness the the hawking radiation given off by my DIY micro-singularity reactor. I'll be honest, it does concern me that I do under utilise it somewhat; of the 6.24 Exa Watts of energy it produces, I only really use it for my camping kettle and charging my smartphone. I should really learn to share but, and I am really ashamed of this, I didn't get planning permission for it because the rules on potentially world-ending reactor sources are really strict here in Lancashire, UK. Still, out of sight, out of mind, I always say!

I'm doing some geographic distancing in Wyoming, USA right now in my camper with 300 watts of solar and a 271 ah LiFePo pack. All DC 12v for now. After this trip I'll be upgrading again, adding an inverter for 110 AC.

I'd be even deeper into the wilderness if Starlink was available. As it stands now I have to make sure I'm near cell towers if I want to work.

I'm in IL. This is what puts power into the grid in IL

Illinois_Electricity_Generation_Sources_Pie_Chart.svg

I suspect there have been improvemetns in the wind and "other" (aka solar) in the past 4 years as the number of wind/solar projects in IL have continued to increase

that 52% is ~9.5 GW

I produce nearly all of the power that I use via solar. I do use my gasoline/propane powered generator to operate my 220vac deep well water pump, power tools and shore power charger fill in during low solar gain periods. As time goes by I will continue to grow my solar power system and rely less and less upon Jenny. (Jenny is my generator, I name the objects of endearment in my life as a more than adequate surrogate for hooman beans).

I live where the men are men and the sheep are scared surrounded mostly by Canada, possibly in Canada I am not quite sure.

island1a.gif

Last edited:
I am in Sonoma, California in the middle of wine country. Voltage is 240 split phase and I have a complicate system described in my signature. I am attempting to self consume most of my power. Some of my excess solar generation still gets stored on the grid and I use it mostly to run heavy loads like EV charging and ocassional Air Conditioning.

at my cabin a nuclear power plant is 3 miles away.
i use solar for my power.the nuck plant is for the Washington D.C Metro area.

We generate our power mainly by solar and a bit of wind. Rarely by generator. Our system is 24 Volt DC and 220 Volt AC.
We live on a sailboat, currently in Panama.
The shore power here is 110V, I believe the same as in the US.
Panama generates generate 64% of its power via water and other renewable sources:
Selection_379.png

Back