diy solar

diy solar

Where to Find Energy Efficient Small Appliances?

PaulLad

I'm realizing how much money energy efficient appliances (esp. fan & air purifier) will save me on the build out of my solar system. Are energy star rated appliances about the best out there? Thanks!

I'm realizing how much money energy efficient appliances (esp. fan & air purifier) will save me on the build out of my solar system. Are energy star rated appliances about the best out there? Thanks!

Energy Star usually does the the trick for me. When shopping, the yellow label of annual energy consumption is a good place to start.

Fans are fans. There's not a lot that can be done for efficiency improvements. Downsizing the fan is usually what gives you the benefit.

A heat pump based tumble dryer gets my vote - way better than resistive heating ones :) Like 750W vs 2500W for same result

(edited to add - sorry that's not a small appliance - basic schoolgirl error, read the question properly)!

Yes - surprised me! ? Air drying is less of an option over here in Winter :( ☂️

Yes - surprised me! ? Air drying is less of an option over here in Winter :( ☂️
Yea, its more challenging in the winter here. I'm in NE Alabama so do laundry based on the weather. Sometimes it takes a few days to dry.

DC appliances tend to be more efficient than their AC counterparts. One obvious reason is the lack of AC to DC converter so you don’t lose efficiency in the conversion.

Induction cook tops use a lot less power than a regular stove to do the same job. Just need to ensure the pots / pans you use are magnetic.

Yea, its more challenging in the winter here. I'm in NE Alabama so do laundry based on the weather. Sometimes it takes a few days to dry.
I've installed my mini split outdoor unit to face the strings used to hang clothes on my balcony, it's covered from the elements.

Ever since I've done that, there's no odor in my clothes when it's raining for days, moisture and all. Not to mention it helps with drying the laundry a lot faster since I get a lot of air circulating through the clothes.

Getting more from the electricity I use to heat my home is always a plus. :)

Of course, this all depends on just how low the outside temperature can get in a given area.

With that said, temperatures rarely get below freezing here.

Washing machines can be Monstrous power hogs... I finally discovered the latest Pulse Washers made by Mielle, What a HUGE difference, very light on the inverter and WOW does it clean the clothes well.

Mielle has subbrands like comfree etc... All good stuff.
Link to the one I got:

Induction cooktops (some are better than others) LED lights of course.
My fridge is also High Efficiency Danby and only uses 230kWh per year (I don;t think it even uses that much honestly). Costco put these on sale regularly and a great bargain !

Well Pump is also a HUGE sucker if the wrong one is chosen.
I use a Grundfos SQ-5 Deep well pump, it's 120V Softstart, starts at 500W and ramps up 3 stages and finishes at 1600W when hitting 52-PSI cutoff. It's 280' down, then to 50 Gal Pressure Tank then 75' to house. Never notice pressure changes.

Back