diy solar

diy solar

Who here has the best dump load management system going on? (revisited)

By the way if you got room for that crap in your yard why not just build a solar carport or a solar gazebo or a solar lean to.
I can't build any of that for $400. I think a few here were going to try them but I've not seen how they worked out for them. It was going to be for supplemental, while I'd have a stationary South facing array I'd like a small tracker to pick up the early morning sun and setting sun in the evening.

Ok, I was just curious if having the PV string / circuit loaded up and all that current not being used was a issue outside if just being wasteful.

As for racking, I was looking into one of these trackers; I believe you can put full size panels on it ..so 8 400W panels would be nice. Wouldn't that make up for not over paneling?

If you could look closer you would find the "hinge" pins that connect the linear actuator to the frame and the "hinge" mounts are not very sturdy. In addition the linear actuator is mounted so close to the pivot point (fulcrum) that any wind load places very large forces on the linear actuators and more important their mounts. The further the linear actuator mounts are from the pivot points the less degree of motion they provide.

Any thoughts on panels degrading faster used on trackers being that they spend more time at Maximum sun exposure :unsure:
Haven't given it much thought since I have a bunch of very old panels that still work great. Also the used ones I bought from santan have done awesome too. So I just want to get the max out of the panels possible. Also with these being bifacials I'm going to put on the trackers it might work even better. Votes still out I think on bifacial panel lifespan.

My neighbor cut down a tree and I was finally able to put panels facing due east, They pot out nearly full power starting early in the morning. It is now my array with the highest production. A guy on YT did an all day test with adjusting a 100W panel every 15 minutes. I was shocked at how flat the power curve was.

If you could look closer you would find the "hinge" pins that connect the linear actuator to the frame and the "hinge" mounts are not very sturdy. In addition the linear actuator is mounted so close to the pivot point (fulcrum) that any wind load places very large forces on the linear actuators and more important their mounts. The further the linear actuator mounts are from the pivot points the less degree of motion they provide.
The ideal setup would be a fixed tilt mount with full tilt tracking then the entire thing on a carousel like modern microwaves have :)

Tilt on the normal mount part and the carousel turning the entire thing for the tracking as it goes across the sky.

I'll be experimenting with fixed vs the trackers for this winter. I want to see if it makes a worthwhile investment for some extra ummph in the winter time vs fixed mounts.
Will be good to hear the results, with all costs (install, maintenance and longevity) factored in (y).

Did this 4 years ago

I use one of my 4 charge controllers that has a dry contactor. I have it set so that its triggers AC SSRs when battery is full to heater water with 3000w 240v coil. When I get more panels and a 2nd inverter I will upgrade to 4000 watt coils

I have 2 50 gallon tanks and heat them to 125deg F, usually by 2-3PM

here are links to where I discuss the design/plan then the implementation. I have improved upon it since

Ok, thanks for that feedback. I wonder if there's any quality trackers for a decent price. I know there's a few here that built there own, one gent built it with his son but did say it wasn't cheap but I think it mostly had to do with the motor he chose.

I'll list what I spent but you all can crunch the cost vs performance numbers. I'm just interested in the tracker vs the control group of fixed panels performance numbers each day :)

20 years ago I looked at a tracker but at the time, I determined that the money for the tracker ($2000) was enough to just buy more fixed panels and be done with it. times might have changed

Would love to have more land and just install a SE array, South array and a SW array. Just throw cheap panels at it

my first 1200 watt array cost $4.50 PER WATT back in 1999, then tracker made more sense to me to optimize panels. Today batteries are the critical cost

SORRY for the typo on cost per watt. that price was 30 years before that

Last edited:
complexity = higher maintenance, added systems and components to fail all of which cost more time and $$

If it's just power in your tool shed and I say have fun and go for it. But as reliability standpoint I'm sticking with fixed mounts there's enough other equipment to maintain without adding to it.
Normally I would agree but since it will just be powering a backup charger that charges the batteries I won't cry if I have to throw a few panels on the ground because the tracker barfed.

diy solar

diy solar
Back