diy solar

diy solar

Who is using solar 100% in a vehicle or house?

Is that stuff still going? It seems to me all those channels and stuff are more or less over. Its why will started doing solar he says. It is all very disappointing for sure. I personally have the philosophy of doing more with your time than working your life away and vanlife is one way to pursue your interests while working much less.

Then I found out most of those people swear that living in a van on free land costs more day to day than the average full time job. Which is kind of antithetical and bizarre to me. Like you spend more to live in a 60 sq ft box and poop in a bucket than i ever paid in rent. Am I on the right planet here?? Lol
LOL, a lot of the people Bob interviews are on Social Security and can't afford rent. I think many of them live on $700 a month. Some supposedly work part-time at Amazon and/or campgrounds. Bob started a non-profit this year (I think a few months ago?) I watch his youtube sometimes still. Some good info on his channel like for insulating, etc. I am grateful for his info he gave any way. He started me to think I could get out of sticks and bricks and travel the U.S. I may go to the RTR just because I want to go camping again in AZ and don't want to do it alone. I also want to meet up with some new friends I met. I loved the desert and I was in a tent. I hope to have my set up done by then, but it might not happen...

I have a grid tied system that produces 100% of our electric needs and our house is heated with passive solar. I also have a small off-grid system for backup power.

The passive solar is great. Our house is very comfortable. It is warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

When we put in the PV system we got a Renewable Energy Credit (REC) contract that pays us $0.12 per kWh for all the energy our system produces. The utility company sends us checks every month. The checks average about $70 per month.

Mars

If anyone can figure out your problem, Will Prowse, I think it's you! You are such an inspiration! Question: Why aren't you 100% off the grid (not connected to the grid)? I want to do that in the future, and want to follow you how to do it in a small home! Thank you Will. You have re-ignited me with my life dream after giving up before. BTW, recently in California there were blackouts and the people with grid tied in solar arrays ALSO had blackouts! WTF. I think I learned from that, if ever being tied into sticks and bricks, to NEVER TIE IN? Any info or future info on your YouTube on this subject would be appreciated!
The cheapest way to use solar is grid tied, but going the cheapest means zero power when the grid is down.

Options exist to provide power when grid konks out, but it adds to the expense.
Batteries, or a lockout inverter that provides only what the house uses, without feeding the grid when it is down are options.

I have a grid tied system that produces 100% of our electric needs and our house is heated with passive solar. I also have a small off-grid system for backup power.

The passive solar is great. Our house is very comfortable. It is warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

When we put in the PV system we got a Renewable Energy Credit (REC) contract that pays us $0.12 per kWh for all the energy our system produces. The utility company sends us checks every month. The checks average about $70 per month.

Mars
.12! Wow, that's great!

I am tied to grid, but 100% of my loads are covered by my 4.5kw grid tie array. Net metering for night time loads. I really need a battery back up system. Lots of options, and they are expensive. Still trying to find a new setup.
yikes, 4,500 watts at say 24 volts would generate 187 amps in one hour. On a sunny day in LV, you could make and store, (I'm only guessing), between 700 and 1,200 amps, that would require lots of battery to fully capture, I see your connundrum.

Who is using solar for their electricity either in a sticks and bricks home or home on wheels, or both?
Solar supplies 80% of my electricial needs except when I want to vacuum, (which is almost never), or fill the water cisterns every few days so for that I run Jennie. The greedy griddy is no where near my cabin. I have a new MPPT WCC , (Wind Charge Controller), but no wind generator yet. I'm going to get a couple more panels and batteries before a wind generator, in the 2020 budget cycle.

Last edited:
I personally have the philosophy of doing more with your time than working your life away and vanlife is one way to pursue your interests while working much less.

From THAT perspective, yes. However, when your income is largely based on begging people for charity and handouts (Make sure you like, share, and subscribe and don't forget my patreon!!!"), selling stupid stickers and lying to people about your hardships, you are less than human to me. Nobody is entitled to a free lunch. Nobody. Only this generation Z thinks that the world owes them a living. I have never donated to any of them, nor will I. Nobody donates to me, and I do not accept charity. 80% of that RV community fall into that "gimme" category. They all claim to be poor, but watch videos and see how many of them smoke, drink, and brag about being potheads. When you are poor, vices should be the first thing to go. Bob Wells seems to be everyone's hero, but he is neck deep in payola, accepting free shit from everybody who will send it to him, all in exchange for totally unethical positive reviews.

The solar world I am on board with. The RV e-beggars I despise with more passion than I can express.

Bob Wells seems to be everybody's hero because he knows where to find the world's cheapest trash can. Bob Wells is at the top of the e-beggar list. Add to that the fact that he has no integrity at all, accepting payola from everybody who is willing to send him free shit knowing he will give it a great review even if the thing sucks. He once went on a rant against people who put a high rise top on his van, saying they did a bad job. It was later alluded to that the issue was that he expected them to do it for free for the great Bob Wells, and they did not, so he harpooned them. THAT is as low and classless as it gets. I fail to see why he is concerned with "cheap" when he makes close to $200,000 a year between his youtube income, his Amazon an Walmart affiliate status and his patreon. Then again, if you have so little pride that you are willing to beg for people to order through your Amazon link, you may as well sit at the end of an off ramp and annoy people as they exit the highway with a sign that says you are unemployed. I once drove around with a big pad of job applications from the closest Sheetz station and I stopped wherever there was a bum begging for money and gave them one.

Bob is gen z? I tried to give bums seeds but the government wouldnt let them plant any.

Last edited:
From THAT perspective, yes. However, when your income is largely based on begging people for charity and handouts (Make sure you like, share, and subscribe and don't forget my patreon!!!"), selling stupid stickers and lying to people about your hardships, you are less than human to me. Nobody is entitled to a free lunch. Nobody. Only this generation Z thinks that the world owes them a living. I have never donated to any of them, nor will I. Nobody donates to me, and I do not accept charity. 80% of that RV community fall into that "gimme" category. They all claim to be poor, but watch videos and see how many of them smoke, drink, and brag about being potheads. When you are poor, vices should be the first thing to go. Bob Wells seems to be everyone's hero, but he is neck deep in payola, accepting free shit from everybody who will send it to him, all in exchange for totally unethical positive reviews.

The solar world I am on board with. The RV e-beggars I despise with more passion than I can express.

Bob Wells seems to be everybody's hero because he knows where to find the world's cheapest trash can. Bob Wells is at the top of the e-beggar list. Add to that the fact that he has no integrity at all, accepting payola from everybody who is willing to send him free shit knowing he will give it a great review even if the thing sucks. He once went on a rant against people who put a high rise top on his van, saying they did a bad job. It was later alluded to that the issue was that he expected them to do it for free for the great Bob Wells, and they did not, so he harpooned them. THAT is as low and classless as it gets. I fail to see why he is concerned with "cheap" when he makes close to $200,000 a year between his youtube income, his Amazon an Walmart affiliate status and his patreon. Then again, if you have so little pride that you are willing to beg for people to order through your Amazon link, you may as well sit at the end of an off ramp and annoy people as they exit the highway with a sign that says you are unemployed. I once drove around with a big pad of job applications from the closest Sheetz station and I stopped wherever there was a bum begging for money and gave them one.
Was that what happened about his high-top? ? How do you know all this and how much he makes? I believe he gets $ for having the non-profit too, possibly grants, but definitely donations coming to him big time in his own words on vids. What bothered me to see at Jamie's recent van build was people can't afford to get a fan, etc., yet they can afford to smoke cigarettes? Aren't they about $10 a pack or more? That just really bugs me. Cool beans about passing out job applications. I used to give them cans of peanuts, etc. They would look at me like I was crazy. They wanted money. The last begger that came up to me asked me for $5. What happened to asking for spare change? I live near an area that the homeless took over across the street from two golf courses. MOST of them are in there 20's. It seems like the in thing to do these days. Most of them are really good looking able-bodied men. I just feel sick watching them live like that (and begging at the freeway overpasses.) This generation is in trouble. Don't get me started!

Imagine if everybody just stopped working. The rich and the poor would all have to spend their days tilling the garden.

Last edited:
In the new year I will be using one of Will's recommended all in one inverters in my 2018 Transit Cargo Vans which is my full-time home. With 400 Watts of Renogy Solar, and 2 Battleborn 12V Batteries.

Im a full time vandweller. Im on 400w with fla and a generator now. After the holidays im going lifepo4 and no generator. Will have alternator for backup.

Cant wait because my 35 year old van struggles so bad with with full tanks going over them 12k ft, 6%+ grades. This will lighten me over 200lbs and be like losing a full tank of fuel and half tank of water.

I don't throw things out because they get 'Tired', so I know exactly what you are talking about.

When it comes to campers/vans & RVs, I ALWAYS take a ton of crap, so I mostly keep my mouth shut.
Storage (batteries) will always be a struggle, particularly in small vehicles that weren't specifically built for that extra weight...

Transmission/rear gearing is always a struggle, you can have torque to get up the hills,
Or you can have speed on the flats.
When you add a bunch of gearing for both, the weight & complexity becomes the issue...

While I see a lot of people making what I believe to be mistakes using a vehicle alternator for charging secondary/solar batteries (just too much crap on the line dropping the voltage),
When you suggest something like a second alternator dedicated to the secondary batteries, with an adjustable voltage regulator to compensate for charge controller/etc losses/restrictions in the line, people freak...

While dual generators on passenger cars goes back to 1928 from the factory,
And back to 1932 in trucks,
The mere suggestion freaks people out since they (personally) don't have experience with it.

Everyone wants to use the Horror Freight 45 watt or some cheap 100 watt panel on vans/RVs,
And you can NOT make them understand the Watts you DON'T make on the allotted, limited roof space are Watts you can never use.
If the same space can make 100 Watts or 300 Watts, go 300 every time.

Whats your opinion of that forum? I signed up there back in like 2011 and check in periodically. The place has a bunch of info but I have subsequently found so much of it questionable at the least. Especially once I went full time. Extremely resistant to facts or new info and quick to delete posts or even ban anyone. especially if you challenge their "experts."

I don't talk about this much, but I've been studying psychology/abnormal psychology trying to figure out what was 'Wrong With ME'....
All of it was a little general and kind of muddy until I hit the abnormal psychology chapters on narcissists & sociopaths, then it gelled.

It's a BIG concept, so bear with me.
Narcissist & Sociopaths are CREATED (psychopaths are born) through environment.
A child has narcissistic tendencies, their entire world is them, what they 'Want'...
An adult is *Supposed* to grow out of this as their world expands and they can grasp & adopt the concept of society and turn the concept into reality through practice.

A child that was constantly allowed to get away with everything, grows into an adult with no limits...
They just keep trying to get away with everything, and often do.
A child that is constantly either ignored, or told what a useless pain on the butt they are carry those beliefs and insecurities with them.
Combine the two, and you get the highschool bully that hangs out with others that encourage his bad behavior.
See gang members, etc.

If they continue to collage, they join groups that encourage a different set of bad behaviors, but since they have an education in bad behavior along with a degree, they become bankers, lawyers, etc, jobs where they have power to do and say the worst to/about people and get attention/praise for what a good job they do.

These people are often none too well educated, the material only superficially soaked in, so they are often not very good at their jobs, they take credit for work done by people with a work ethic/morals, so they are found in middle/upper management all the time.
Along with taking credit for others work that went well, they will dump blame anyone/everyone that didn't screw things up.

Nothing is ever their fault...
Something/someone else is always to blame.
When they beat their wives, the wives 'Made Them Do It' for example.

Since these people CRAVE attention, positive or negative, and the center of attention MUST always be them,
They HATE any new idea, new ideas take the focus of them and put it on the subject.
It's always the same pattern,
Deny, insult, deflect, make personal attacks.
First you are 'Wrong' (because you didn't support their ego by agreeing with them)
Then you are an 'Idiot', Inbred, Moron, and usually have your race/religion/ethnic background/looks/family dragged into it... Insulting and degrading are hallmarks of narcissists/sociopaths.
Then the deflection begins, anything BUT the subject at hand, some 'Story' that's supposed to either change the subject or prove some point that no one ask about...
This usually ends in reversal, YOU are the overbearing one and everyone MUST agree with you or be an 'Idiot' (or worse).
If you haven't figured out, seen through the narcissists/sociopath by this point, then the threats, worst attacks/insults start...

Keep in mind these are scared/fearful people, and therefore *CAN* be dangerous.
They will take fists to anyone MUCH smaller than them, over a disagreement about anything, no matter how trivial.
They will take a bat or gun to anyone close to their own size/strength,
Revenge, getting 'ONE UP' on anyone they think bested them or embarrassed them is mandatory, a compulsion.
They will NEVER leave the subject alone, just quit...
It's not about ration or reason, it's about ego, either you praise them or you are a 'Enemy' that's sub-human and brought anything they can dream up on yourself... Because it's never their fault...

I don't bring this up much, it brings out the narcissistic tendencies and the full on narcissists & sociopaths.
The one thing a narcissistic personality can not tolerate is someone knowing the 'Secret' they keep, so they fall like a ton of bricks, en mass since narcissists/sociopaths CRAVE attention, and are scared at the core, they travel in packs...

Once you recognize the traits, it's easy to either outrage or ignore them.
Outrage is feeding your ego, 'Stirring The Pot' is entertaining, but it's not healthy for YOU.
Just make your point, or drop out entirely.
Since they crave attention, just ignoring them is the best for you and the worst for them.
On the internet, they were zero to you before they engaged, and if you break engagement, the become zero again, and you will be a LOT happier!

Mars

I grew up in old farm houses, and they had a BUNCH figured out we don't use today...

Porch and window awnings that were the PRECISE length to keep the room from excessive overheating in summer sun, letting nearly all the winter sun in.
Tall windows that could be vented top and bottom for convection circulation, high ceilings for hot air to get up and away from you, heavy drapes for insulation to keep heat in or out, etc.

When I hear someone complain about a van or something overheating I always wonder if a sun awning shading the sunny side would make it much more pleasant.

I hear the complaints about 'Too Cold' (heating) at night, and 'Too Hot' in the daytime,
And wonder if they try to trap any heat in the afternoon to supplement night time heating?

I think about adobe buildings with no windows on the south side, the thermal mass sucks up heat all day keeping the interior much cooler, and radiates that heat all night to keep the interior warmer.
I think about the old farm houses with mud bricks or building bricks stacked in the walls, same effect.

I built poured concrete, earth sheltered.
Closed on 3 sides, 4'+ of dirt on the roof, 15 feet of glass at it's peak facing south.
High ceilings (with fans) are a must if you want to keep the place regulated by giving heat someplace to go, and saving it for later...

The earth regulates the maximum/minimum temps (about 10°F) without sun.
Slatted patio cover that grows over with vines in summer, dies back in winter to let the sun in.
Green foliage sucks up sun radiation like you wouldn't believe, the darker green the better.
Vines make it easy to remove when it dies back in winter...
Easier than raking leaves!

While we do have an actual split system A/C, it's not used much, usually to remove excessive moisture, it is a closed environment and moisture does hang around,
But normally a low wattage dehumidifier does the job.

Our 'Cooling' is deeper earth tubes that cool incoming air, which on really hot/humid days sheds it's moisture on the way in, a little too much for the dehumidifier sometimes.
Since cooling air 'Falls' into the home, no power consumption for circulation fans.
Hot air enters the tube, cools and falls, draws in more hot air, self powered.
If it gets too cool, stick a plug in the tube in the house.

Works in reverse in winter, but we do use a fan.
We earth banked heat all summer, the ground is warm, cold air gets sucked in and warms in the tube, we gat the heat.
62°F to 68°F air for the cost to run a 3 Watt fan...

Since the windows went in the house hasn't dropped below 58°F, even in winter without heat.
I think we maxed out at 78°F one time, an exceptionally hot day before the vines grew in...
Usually never gets above 74°F with vines in place.

We stay home, cook more in winter, we use about $200 more in propane during winter (all winter) than we do summer,
I do have a pellet/corn stove I *Should* use more, but the last few winters I've been working away from home a lot and the wife uses the thermostat... I don't expect her to haul ashes anyways, and $200 isn't a dent in the budget if she's toasty/happy all winter!

It's not been real cold here, we haven't used hardly any propane this winter, I've fired up the corn stove a few times, mostly to entertain myself, it's been real mild so far.
Usually cooking breakfast and moving around takes any chill off and we are good for the rest of the day when the sun comes up.

Air temp in the tubes is still about 67-67°F so we still have a lot of banked summer heat left...

People wonder how we can live off grid and not be uncomfortable,
We don't try to change the temp 50-70°F, we just have to move the temp a few degrees, that takes a LOT less energy, particularly when you bank natural heat in thermal mass, conduction, and air spaces being allowed to heat, using it later...

The plastic heat tubes paid for themselves in two winters as near as I can tell,
The 15' ceiling ran about $1,000 in extra concrete, the triple pane windows blew the budget,
Not because they are triple pane, but because it's an arch, every window across the top/sides was a custom build.
*IF* I had that part to do over again, the opening would be a lot more 'Square' or something that fitted existing manufactured arch windows...
A failure of planning, cost/benefit analysis on my part.

Never regretted the radiant floor heat one second!
Stupid efficient and WARM FLOORS!
Doesn't dry the air out crazy bad like forced air systems do.

Last edited:
Back