diy solar

diy solar

Who is using solar 100% in a vehicle or house?

Santa

Who is using solar for their electricity either in a sticks and bricks home or home on wheels, or both?

Close. At the moment the only thing that draws power from the mains is an airconditioner. It used about 0.5kWh last night. The night temperature is slowly rising as summer approaches so that will increase.

Close. At the moment the only thing that draws power from the mains is an airconditioner. It used about 0.5kWh last night. The night temperature is slowly rising as summer approaches so that will increase.
summer approaches?? We are in winter...?

Im a full time vandweller. Im on 400w with fla and a generator now. After the holidays im going lifepo4 and no generator. Will have alternator for backup.

Cant wait because my 35 year old van struggles so bad with with full tanks going over them 12k ft, 6%+ grades. This will lighten me over 200lbs and be like losing a full tank of fuel and half tank of water.

Ah yes. I first heard about Will on Bob's forum (cheaprvliving) then Will's YT channel.

Whats your opinion of that forum? I signed up there back in like 2011 and check in periodically. The place has a bunch of info but I have subsequently found so much of it questionable at the least. Especially once I went full time. Extremely resistant to facts or new info and quick to delete posts or even ban anyone. especially if you challenge their "experts."

Last edited:
Whats your opinion of that forum? I signed up there back in like 2011 and check in periodically. The place has a bunch of info but I have I subsequently found so much of it questionable at the least. Extremely resistant to facts or new info and quick to delete posts or even ban anyone. especially if you challenge their "experts."
I was on there 2 years ago? I learned a lot, BUT, I met some of the (key) people in person at the RTR. The quality of SOME people tarnished my opinion of their online personalities. (Not everyone.) I ended using that forum after that, and haven't used it since then... Nothing like verbal and non verbal in-person communication (but love the idea of forum information and sharing info). A lot of drama there too....

Whats your opinion of that forum? I signed up there back in like 2011 and check in periodically. The place has a bunch of info but I have subsequently found so much of it questionable at the least. Especially once I went full time. Extremely resistant to facts or new info and quick to delete posts or even ban anyone. especially if you challenge their "experts."
Oh, AND, when I was in a very bad situation (don't want to go in details), the "Tribe" abandoned me... (I wasn't asking for any money or anything, FYI).

Oh really? Thats not the first time Ive heard that type of stuff. Ive stayed away from their gatherings due to the bad taste in my mouth I was left with but every year their events seemed to quadruple and everyone loved it. Wouldnt mind hearing more if you feel inclined.

Last edited:
Oh really? Thats not the first time Ive heard that type of stuff. Ive stayed away from their gatherings due to the bad taste in my mouth I was left with but every year their events seemed to quadruple and everyone loved it. Wouldnt mind hearing more if you feel inclined.
I liked the idea of learning in-person in a real-life situation at the RTR (Bob called it mentoring). I liked meeting some new people. I like the idea of caravans formed for people who want that or need that. But what if your mentor is a degenerate and in the "inner-circle"? I know nothing's perfect, BUT, I was deeply let down...took me 2 years to get over it and want to start again. Many thanks to Will.

I like the idea of caravans formed for people who want that or need that.

Another way to address that concept is to call them cliques. When they splinter into their little caravans it is very exclusionary and quite caste-like. Most of them are a bunch of online beggars and many commit welfare fraud to get food stamps. And brag about it on youtube. One guy scammed his youtube followers by claiming his transmission failed. His followers sent him close to $10,000. One user, who is a watchdog type, verified that the guy never had a transmission problem and just scammed people for the 10k. THAT is a large part of the youtube nomad community. Constant bickering between cliques. Lots of lying to scam money from people using pity. Be VERY wary of people you meet at RTR.

I am tied to grid, but 100% of my loads are covered by my 4.5kw grid tie array. Net metering for night time loads. I really need a battery back up system. Lots of options, and they are expensive. Still trying to find a new setup.

Another way to address that concept is to call them cliques. When they splinter into their little caravans it is very exclusionary and quite caste-like. Most of them are a bunch of online beggars and many commit welfare fraud to get food stamps. And brag about it on youtube. One guy scammed his youtube followers by claiming his transmission failed. His followers sent him close to $10,000. One user, who is a watchdog type, verified that the guy never had a transmission problem and just scammed people for the 10k. THAT is a large part of the youtube nomad community. Constant bickering between cliques. Lots of lying to scam money from people using pity. Be VERY wary of people you meet at RTR.
Wow...so pathetic. I think I know who you mean? Please expound if you will....

Last edited:
I am tied to grid, but 100% of my loads are covered by my 4.5kw grid tie array. Net metering for night time loads. I really need a battery back up system. Lots of options, and they are expensive. Still trying to find a new setup.
If anyone can figure out your problem, Will Prowse, I think it's you! You are such an inspiration! Question: Why aren't you 100% off the grid (not connected to the grid)? I want to do that in the future, and want to follow you how to do it in a small home! Thank you Will. You have re-ignited me with my life dream after giving up before. BTW, recently in California there were blackouts and the people with grid tied in solar arrays ALSO had blackouts! WTF. I think I learned from that, if ever being tied into sticks and bricks, to NEVER TIE IN? Any info or future info on your YouTube on this subject would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Another way to address that concept is to call them cliques. When they splinter into their little caravans it is very exclusionary and quite caste-like.

Is that stuff still going? It seems to me all those channels and stuff are more or less over. Its why will started doing solar he says. It is all very disappointing for sure. I personally have the philosophy of doing more with your time than working your life away and vanlife is one way to pursue your interests while working much less.

Then I found out most of those people swear that living in a van on free land costs more day to day than the average full time job. Which is kind of antithetical and bizarre to me. Like you spend more to live in a 60 sq ft box and poop in a bucket than i ever paid in rent. Am I on the right planet here?? Lol

Last edited:
Back