diy solar

diy solar

Who's is bigger?

Not complete yet, top shelf is 2P16S (280Ah cells), middle shelf will be two 1P16S's and bottom shelf single 1P16S. Using JK BMSs.
Rockwool on back, top, and bottom shelf system with durock between interior shelves so any "issues" wouldn't cause the battery above it to also have issue.
2P16S on top
IMG_1332.JPG

Not complete yet, top shelf is 2P16S (280Ah cells), middle shelf will be two 1P16S's and bottom shelf single 1P16S. Using JK BMSs.
Rockwool on back, top, and bottom shelf system with durock between interior shelves so any "issues" wouldn't cause the battery above it to also have issue.
2P16S on top
View attachment 155836
That’s one long squeeeeeze??

So we've all seen @timselectric big battery bank.

But whos got the biggest DIY battery bank? I don't want to see the 30+ EG4 battery rack that you bought, but individual cells and DIY BMS's.

Let's see it!

This is the DIY section. Had 10 originally until I bought the SOKs. I now have 31 spare cells.
I used one to replace a bad one.
Now 8 X 280x54.4= 122KWH

The reason I did the balance cables that way was to experiment with different BMS and Balancers.

This is not how it looks today but I’m not going out to the building this late.

Attachments

• 1646FE1A-A394-4448-9E32-3BEA696AFE4F.jpeg
    1646FE1A-A394-4448-9E32-3BEA696AFE4F.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
This is the DIY section. Had 10 originally until I bought the SOKs. I now have 31 spare cells.
Now 8 X 280x54.4= 122KW

The reason I did the balance cables that way was to experiment with different BMS and Balancers.

Well you got me beat.
Obviously, you don’t have cats in that room. Mine are not allowed in the garage either. One hairball is called Chewbacca or Chewy for short, guess why? But I’ve got sticky traps to catch anything that chews out there.

Well you got me beat.
Obviously, you don’t have cats in that room. Mine are not allowed in the garage either. One hairball is called Chewbacca or Chewy for short, guess why? But I’ve got sticky traps to catch anything that chews out there.
Lol no cats.
Only thing in that building is Batteries, Inverters and Minisplit, assorted tools.

Have 2 Electric Victor mouse traps out there that remain empty for now.

Now 8 X 280x54.4= 122KW

Are you using those flexible busbars on all those cells? Just wondering how you were able to keep the cells close enough together to use "standard" busbars without compression. I'd like to do my other batteries without compression.

Are you using those flexible busbars on all those cells? Just wondering how you were able to keep the cells close enough together to use "standard" busbars without compression. I'd like to do my other batteries without compression.
Yes all flexible bus Bars.

I believe they are all 50.5MM.
I’ll have to measure them tomorrow.
The cells fit flush against each other with the ones I have.

No compression needed. Bus bars just slot right in there.
You could compress them if you wanted them with these bus bars.

I decided against compression.
Figured I would mess them up long before non compression did.

Last edited:
Now 8 X 280x54.4= 122KW

I see the two rolls of 2/0. I don’t think you got enough LOL

I see the two rolls of 2/0. I don’t think you got enough LOL
Actually the red and black are 4/0 and the white is 2/0.

I had a transfer switch I needed to cable plus a friends house.

Attachments

• 602366C3-85DD-4FE6-9186-54305151F10E.jpeg
    602366C3-85DD-4FE6-9186-54305151F10E.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
2P16S on top
View attachment 155836
You guys installs are Purty compared to mine.

Not mine, but one of the best layouts i’ve seen. This is two layers of 560ah 48V packs, with room for another layer.

The enclosure has walls with cutouts for the disconnects and displays.

Total 87kwh in a fairly neat, compact and relatively easy to build format.

Attachments

• C37FE464-9CF9-48A6-9A29-7C17415B5583.jpeg
    C37FE464-9CF9-48A6-9A29-7C17415B5583.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 125
In DIY I have 43kWh in the main 48v system for the house and shop, and another 15.5kWh of 24v DIY batteries in the RV/moble set up,
Total of over 58kWh, (and drooling over @timselectric set up!).

Edit: BMS, I started with the Daly (it was all the rage a while back) but after some problems and one that failed, switched to JK and no issues with these. FWIW

Last edited:
Now 8 X 280x54.4= 122KWH

You're running 17s configs?

In DIY I have 43kWh in the main 48v system for the house and shop, and another 15.5kWh of 24v DIY batteries in the RV/moble set up,
Total of over 58kWh, (and drooling over @timselectric set up!).

Edit: BMS, I started with the Daly (it was all the rage a while back) but after some problems and one that failed, switched to JK and no issues with these. FWIW
Where did you see @timselectric setup?

I too started out with Daly but had to many issues with them so switched to JK.

Last edited:
Not mine, but one of the best layouts i’ve seen. This is two layers of 560ah 48V packs, with room for another layer.

The enclosure has walls with cutouts for the disconnects and displays.

Total 87kwh in a fairly neat, compact and relatively easy to build format.
What BMS and other stuff is that strapped to the side?
Can’t read it.

Back