diy solar

diy solar

Why my system will not run my fridge?

Are you charging the battery with just with a solar charge controller or are you using a stand-alone battery charger at first to get it topped off (around 14.6V)?
I was going to just connect itTo my midnight solar classic 150 charge controller

This is a confusing thread and I may have missed something, but:
  • Did you fully charge your battery? What resting voltage (disconnected for an hour or so) was it when it was done charging?
  • What I've read says that you're using the battery at 12.9V which is only about 30% charge.
  • With the startup-surge of your refrigerator, combined with the low voltage disconnect of your inverter (12.7V), and the low battery voltage at the start (12.9V) it seems like it's the not fully charged battery that's the main problem.
  • The 8' cables from the battery to the inverter may be adding to this issue, by creating even more voltage drop.
He's using LFP batteries? 12.9 isnt that low of a voltage for LFP. neither is 12.7 (that's 3.2 and 3.1 per cell respectively). If im not mistaken and he's using LFP, i suggest setting that low volt disconnect lower. Try 11.5. 10.5 is the recommended rock bottom discharge (2.5v per cell). 11.5 is conservatively over that.

When you connect the fridge to the inverter .... how long does it run before it gives the error?

He's using LFP batteries? 12.9 isnt that low of a voltage for LFP. neither is 12.7 (that's 3.2 and 3.1 per cell respectively). If im not mistaken and he's using LFP, i suggest setting that low volt disconnect lower. Try 11.5. 10.5 is the recommended rock bottom discharge (2.5v per cell). 11.5 is conservatively over that.
Once I get it connected to the charge controller I’ll let you know so maybe you can help me set up the settings.

Once I get it connected to the charge controller I’ll let you know so maybe you can help me set up the settings.
just lower the inverter's low volt disconnect. see if that lets it start up your fridge. or did i not read enough? did yall already solve the problem?

Well .... We've all been on completely the wrong track. I think @circus is correct.

We've all been assuming that the inverter was shutting down immediately when the fridge tried to fire up .... and assuming always get you into trouble.

Here is a snippet from the Xantrex Prowatt 2000 manual.

1628208138686.png

We should have looked this up last night but we all followed @smoothJoey to the bar .... LOL

Most likely thing now seems to be that the inverter has a bad fan.

I have attached a copy of the manual for the OP to download for future reference.

Attachments

• 1060-xantrex-prowatt-sw-2000-manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Well .... We've all been on completely the wrong track. I think @circus is correct.

We've all been assuming that the inverter was shutting down immediately when the fridge tried to fire up .... and assuming always get you into trouble.

Here is a snippet from the Xantrex Prowatt 2000 manual.

View attachment 59006

We should have looked this up last night but we all followed @smoothJoey to the bar .... LOL

Most likely thing now seems to be that the inverter has a bad fan.

I have attached a copy of the manual for the OP to download for future reference.
Thanks for the menu I’ll look up to see how I can lower the voltage on that inverter.

Thanks for the menu I’ll look up to see how I can lower the voltage on that inverter.
I don't understand what you are trying to say with lowering the voltage .... you need to take the inverter apart and blow out the dust and see if you can get the fan running.

Maybe I can put a fan in front of the inverter on high to keep it cool to see if it runs it

That would be a good test, but it needs to have air pulled thru it with it's own fan.

You may have to take it somewhere to see if it can be repaired..... I advised to take it apart and try to fix or replace the fan ... but if you aren't comfortable with your ability to do that, then I wouldn't advise it.

I don't understand what you are trying to say with lowering the voltage .... you need to take the inverter apart and blow out the dust and see if you can get the fan running.
Ok I’ll do that when I get back home it will probably be around 7:30pm

i mentioned low voltage disconnect was too high. but im not confident about anything i read up there or what was said. so scratch my tidbit and just move forward with Bob. He'll get you there.

Going by the error code, it may not be coming on at all .... The fan should definitely be coming on before you get an over temperature alarm.
Yea I thick ur right I’ll try putting a fan in front of it on high speed to if that make a deference.

Going by the error code, it may not be coming on at all .... The fan should definitely be coming on before you get an over temperature alarm.
Just seems that two minutes is way too quick to be in an overheat situation unless the draw was hard for it to cope with.

Back