diy solar

diy solar

Will’s Box ???☀️

That is so cool!!! :D I love it!

And yeah, its a old video:
Thanks so much! I can’t count how many times I’ve seen your video. I’m going to add the fuse box a lil later but the project is everything I need for my demands. Thanks Will!!!

As someone who had solar installed who is now trying to learn from the ground up so I can do my own solar in my next residence, how is Will's Box different than the all-in-one solutions that are now out?

Looks great, but you've got some splitting on the corners there. Some L brackets on the corners miht be a good idea.

I watched these videos too. For one it’s WAY more FUN to do it yourself, I feel, hence DIY Solar. Also, the charge controller and inverter are a fixed amount. If you have Will’s box, sky’s the limit on customizing power and you KNOW that the parts are good quality and not just something generic the company threw in there. Those all in one boxes are cool though. You can even buy a switch for a hundred bucks if you want to connect to grid power also, same as the all in one box. Will has a video all about connecting a switch. So that when power gets too low it’ll switch to grid. Have fun, learn and there’s always a short way or long way to do something depending on what you’re looking for. Good luck! ???

Looks great, but you've got some splitting on the corners there. Some L brackets on the corners miht be a good idea.
Yea, thanks. Still not finished, and when the lid’s closed you can’t see the one split. I’m more just excited about function and not entering it in a beauty contest haha

I watched these videos too. For one it’s WAY more FUN to do it yourself, I feel, hence DIY Solar. Also, the charge controller and inverter are a fixed amount. If you have Will’s box, sky’s the limit on customizing power and you KNOW that the parts are good quality and not just something generic the company threw in there. Those all in one boxes are cool though. You can even buy a switch for a hundred bucks if you want to connect to grid power also, same as the all in one box. Will has a video all about connecting a switch. So that when power gets too low it’ll switch to grid. Have fun, learn and there’s always a short way or long way to do something depending on what you’re looking for. Good luck! ???

I certainly agree there - building your own from components is more educational, gives you assurance that you have the best components (or at least the best components for the money), and more flexibility both in the initial build and in future upgrades and expansions. My concerns was around price. Looking at Will's parts list:

Epever MPPT Solar Charge Controller 12V/24V Solar Regulator 150V 40A/30A/20A/10A = $112
GoWISE Power PS1003 Pure SINE Wave Inverter 2000w Cont/4000w Peak = $233
6 Gauge 6 AWG 10 Feet Red + 10 Feet Black Welding Battery Pure Copper Flexible Cable + 10pcs of 3/8" Tinned Copper Cable Lug Terminal Connectors + 3 Feet Black Heat Shrink Tubing = $32.27
Required Fuses, Fuse Blocks, Bus Bars And Circuit Breakers = ~$100
Bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt = $16

Total = ~$495

vs

MPP Solar 812LV-MS 800W 12V Grid Solar Inverter = ~$310.00

So is it worth the extra $185 for the education, flexibility, and ability to "grow as you go". For me, I am thinking that it might be worth paying extra for the flexibility and education.

I'm still putting my plan together as we try to figure out our housing situation and timing. As I continue to read posts like this and research, I am looking at taking advantage of my income (for as long as I am still able to work) to purchase pieces and parts as I can afford them, put it together myself, and learn from the experience ... all while building something that is usable and practical. My individual situation gets complicated in that what is usable and practical is going to change over time.

Today, what would be practical would be a UPS that I can plug into a wall socket to keep charged and have in case of loss of power ... with the ability to recharge via solar for extended power outages. At the same time, I want this system to be something I can grow and change once we get into our new place and turn into a permanent solar system that will be used the same way at first. Your idea of idea the $120 Automatic Transfer Switch is what I had in mind. That is also the point I would look to switch to whatever the best battery would be at the time as we wait to see what happens to battery prices and technology over the next year or two.

So thanks everyone! This has been a thought provoking thread that I think has helped me solidify my plans. I need to design a modular 12v system like this and build it one component at a time as I go.

Back