diy solar

diy solar

Will the popular Go Power! TS-30 transfer switche prevent the inverter charging the source battery loop in after market RV upgrades?

Terrapin

I am adding my 280ah lithium build upgrading to a LFP converter and a new inverter to an older TT that does not have inverter capabilities. The 12v system now only powers lights, radio, and a few 12/usb outlets. These loads work under either/or converted 120v shore power or battery.

It's my understanding that if I only tie the inverter into the shore cord without proper switching then my inverter will be powering the RV converter to attempt to charge the battery as it's being drawn down to power the inverter =loop ad nauseum.

But it seems that if I follow the simple directions and use this popular switch and come into the system with the inverters 120v, at the shore cord, before the RV's converter that the same loop will exist. (I think ?)

Am I missing something about what the switch does (...or maybe even how the RV's PD4645 converter recognizes when to charge the battery from 120 shore power. That makes no sense but I've been pretty wrong more than once here.)

If this transfer switch wont stop that loop, what do I need to do it automatically? or should I just put a ton of manual switching in (ugh)?

The battery will be bulk filled from generator plugged into the shore power as needed and a portable 120W panel for top offs. (or an AIMS 75A charger running off the generator in hurried times) If that matters.

Thanks.

Last edited:
yes, your inverter will powering your converter - infinite loop

there will be an AC breaker in your PD4645 that supplies AC to the converter
i put a 10A relay inline with the AC converter feed that is energized when you have shore power (you have to tap the AC feed before the inverter)
now converter only has power from shore, not inverter - just works - nothing to think about or remember

yes, your inverter will powering your converter - infinite loop

there will be an AC breaker in your PD4645 that supplies AC to the converter
i put a 10A relay inline with the AC converter feed that is energized when you have shore power (you have to tap the AC feed before the inverter)
now converter only has power from shore, not inverter - just works - nothing to think about or remember

Thanks for confirming the loop would still exist. I will need to search here and YT for specifics about how relays work, how to spec one, and how it would be wired in this exact situation.

Any direction toward that education from anyone including just the correct search term/phrase would help and be appreciated.

Last edited:
My thought is that you should grab 120vac power for the converter before the transfer switch. Something like this:

Shore power -> Junction box with breaker and outlet -> Automatic Transfer Switch -> Inverter

Thank you gentlemen. your feedback lead my search parameters to find this wiring solution with no additional components besides extra wires and splice connectors.

This is a link for anyone who is seeking the same answer.

My thought is that you should grab 120vac power for the converter before the transfer switch. Something like this:

Shore power -> Junction box with breaker and outlet -> Automatic Transfer Switch -> Inverter
not sure there is even a xfer switch involved in his TT
in my RV i have a generator, so i have a xfer switch which gives priority to the generator (over shore power)
this AC output goes to the input of the top (30A) breaker in the PD4645 - in this case probably shore power directly
the rest of the AC breakers below/beside this 1 are AC outputs to the trailer AC circuits (busbar)
1 of these will be the AC feed to the converter
this is the only convenient place to intercept the AC powering the converter
yes, you can do as in the video and add a fuse to connect the converter directly to shore power, but then the breaker in the panel is not used and you don't have a convenient way to disconnect the converter while on shore power, or if the fuse blows, now you are taking things apart and looking for that spare fuse

not sure there is even a xfer switch involved in his TT
in my RV i have a generator, so i have a xfer switch which gives priority to the generator (over shore power)
this AC output goes to the input of the top (30A) breaker in the PD4645 - in this case probably shore power directly
the rest of the AC breakers below/beside this 1 are AC outputs to the trailer AC circuits (busbar)
1 of these will be the AC feed to the converter
this is the only convenient place to intercept the AC powering the converter
yes, you can do as in the video and add a fuse to connect the converter directly to shore power, but then the breaker in the panel is not used and you don't have a convenient way to disconnect the converter while on shore power, or if the fuse blows, now you are taking things apart and looking for that spare fuse
Yup your first reply achieved this but did not handle the power transfer switch duty...I don't think so anyways...o_O. I can only digest so much abstract stuff in one day LOL. I am a tile contractor for a reason. it's very concrete and though math is involved if you want to do a proper layout and order the right quantities of goods it is all very concrete and conversions are only metric to standard and such... plus mistakes don't fry you or start fires.

Back