diy solar

diy solar

Wiring for safety - can I overlap cables?

cansel

Hi All,

I'm a newbie who recently installed a 48v solar setup with 3.3kw array and 6kw inverter. I am finally ready to go ahead with the AC installation in the house but I'm wondering if it's safe to overlap cables like positive, negative and earth. Any recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Not being sure what or how you mean ‘overlap’ it’s going to be very hard to answer this question.

Can you provide a picture of what you mean when you say overlap?

Hi, thanks. I meant this (see pic) are there any rules on which cable can or can't cross another?

772708B0-95B3-4050-870D-D9937715159B.jpeg

Generally speaking it's not wise to overlap line and load cables due to one of them invariably not having proper (if any) overcurrent protection should something go wrong. Maybe that's what you're asking about?

As was just mentioned you've likely got a much bigger mess with whatever is hiding behind that really cheap tape, both red and black.

That is some pretty sharp aggregate you've got those cables rubbing up on as well. I'd start over if it was me.

Those lines are the PV input. One comes from the 50a breaker and the other from the surge suppressor. Where I live they don't sell nuts to connect 6awg cables so I spliced them. The red is positive the black is negative. Max input is 42 amp and 93 volts. The AC output from the inverter is placed so that it would cross the DC lines but I don't think that's a good idea so I will run the wires around the shed so they don't cross. The earth line from the surge suppressor will cross the pv input lines.

Generally speaking it's not wise to overlap line and load cables due to one of them invariably not having proper (if any) overcurrent protection should something go wrong. Maybe that's what you're asking about?

As was just mentioned you've likely got a much bigger mess with whatever is hiding behind that really cheap tape, both red and black.

That is some pretty sharp aggregate you've got those cables rubbing up on as well. I'd start over if it was me.
Thanks. Assuming that no accessories are available, they don't sell that stuff in stores where I am and their electrical safety standards are questionable to say the least, what cable mounts do you suggest I use (ie. materials so that I can find some alternative).

It was interesting to see that I couldn’t get wire nuts in Mexico as well.

I think your best bet is to give us a big picture of what you are doing. By that I mean the whole system. With pics would be very helpful.

If no proper electrical connectors are available, then this group is going to have a hard time making recommendations. But they may be able to help you make it as safe as possible under the circumstances.

Splicing wires by just twisting them together can be done. Sometimes. But there are some risks that can be mitigated.

And welcome!

Consider using a junction box to join the wires. You should really have a better solution for strain relief than electric tape.

What country are you in?

Thanks. Assuming that no accessories are available, they don't sell that stuff in stores where I am and their electrical safety standards are questionable to say the least, what cable mounts do you suggest I use (ie. materials so that I can find some alternative).
Sold in stores is only one option. Online shops sell directly, there is eBay, Amazon, etc that is all available to much of the world.

If you cannot (and they’re poor for this application) get wire nuts you should also look for something called ‘Polaris lugs’ or Power distribution blocks. Both of these would be far superior methods to connect those wires than wire nuts and any of them would be better than your current setup. One of them would be available to you.

It was interesting to see that I couldn’t get wire nuts in Mexico as well.

I think your best bet is to give us a big picture of what you are doing. By that I mean the whole system. With pics would be very helpful.

If no proper electrical connectors are available, then this group is going to have a hard time making recommendations. But they may be able to help you make it as safe as possible under the circumstances.

Splicing wires by just twisting them together can be done. Sometimes. But there are some risks that can be mitigated.

And welcome!
Thank you, yes. I will do this as soon as possible. Having no internet does complicate things

Anything you can find to keep the cable off the wall would be fine. Perhaps you've got an garden hose or something similar you can cut into 1" pieces, split open then wrap about the cable every foot or so?

Regarding the splices: A well place disconnect can do more than just disconnect. It's a junction box, strain relief, and place to change wire sizes like often happens when you used larger wire to avoid voltage drop from the far off solar array. I would use Something like this DC rated one from HomeDepot. They do ship but I don't know about the Yucatan.

I think you need to hit pause on this project

You shouldn't have started wiring things up without understanding the standard ways to splice in your country (there's either American hardware or European/Chinese style hardware for breakers, junction boxes, and splices). A lot of the US companies (Enphase, the breaker, etc companies) manufacturer in Mexico, so it should all already be in-country.

Disconnect everything, and get a very detailed plan for all the balance of system stuff. Perhaps by buying a full kit from some reputable supplier in-country, and having it trucked over to where you are.

You only need to install this stuff one time and it will last decades.

Back