diy solar

diy solar

Wiring project that got away from me.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
Getting way too ambitious with my latest upgrade. I had decided I wanted to redo my sub panels setup that previously was wired from the Main panel and my off grid AIO through a manual transfer switch with AC in power tapped off from main in the switch box. I decided I wanted to keep main power in the sub panel so that I could have a 240v heater powered without the necessity of switching off the solar to other loads in the sub panel. My AIO is only 120v.

This means that I needed to bring power from the sub panel for my AIO and I decided to add another AIO to the mix so that one or both could operate and AIO 1 could be switched for AIO 2 loads and it turned off when trying to reduce idle loads. I added 3 MTS circuits to power other sub panel loads. Since I was using the A (lever down) side of the MTS for grid power, and the B side (lever up) PV, power and neutral from sub panel had to feed through and also power and neutral from AIO #1 AC out had to also. Neutral would be switched this way for each circuit. Providing circuit protection would be breakers.

Wanting the AIO's AC in to be powered off different legs of the sub panel also required working out breaker protection. Than there was Neutral and ground to deal with. It took many hours and I just got it all turned on about 2 hours ago. The transfer control box wiring (rats nest on top) does need some cleanup and i need to make up a instruction sheet to be taped into the box lid so what each thing does is explained. All in all I have about 10 hours into this thing so far. Everything works and is functional but I am still in the, "Did I screw up", testing phase.

Attachments

• P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Finished adding in yesterday my spare EAsun 3KW with a transfer switch output (This way I can switch in and out as needed the original and now this one) to give me added capacity for loads from solar. It does add to the idle load but my PV is more than sufficent to carry it so long as I get sunshine. My transfer control panels (Main and this new Sub) are all working great. It sure took a lot of mental gymnastics and fiddly wiring to set up. I cannot imagine what those folks that run many multiples of inverters to get stacked and parallel arrangements must go through wiring them all up. Not to mention those poor folks that must get inspected and approved by officials that likely have no clue on something so complex and out of the ordinary.

Too bad all of it could not be wireless. Would sure simplify things if everything could simply get beamed power.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 12
Back