diy solar

diy solar

Would you charge 12v LiFePo4s with these chargers?

sun_of_a...

Hi folks,

Thanks for the forum.

For the health of the batteries and if you had a choice, would you charge 12v 230 ah LiFePo4s with either of these chargers? The first one I just got but haven't used yet. It supposedly provides different voltages depending on agm/lead, lithium, or LiFePo4. The second one is made by the manufacturer of my new batteries and I haven't purchased it. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• 1multipl.jpg
    1multipl.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1LiFePo4.jpg
    1LiFePo4.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 19
I would immediately disqualify the one that doesn't understand that LiFePO4 is a specific chemical compound and know how to spell it (ahem, not LiFePo4 either).

The other that appears to only(?) charge to 14.6V seems inappropriate too.

If you post links, its easier to research the items you mention. Pics very limiting without a bit of effort to track down the items.

I did a little looking and didn't see one that is configurable but that is what i would insist on for my money. It would likely be configureable as a user/custom battery profile.

Is this for everyday charging or once in a great while charging?

Both chargers are overpriced but the 40a model is ludicrously so, imo.

As far as the health of the batteries i really think thats 99% down to being charged to an appropriate voltage, and 1% everything else combined (since neither of these things can push the 200a+ it would take to abuse the huge battery with sheer current..).

Really, anything charging it to 14.6v is fine, although it's probably SLIGHTLY preferable to charge it a little under 14.6, perhaps 14.4 or 14.5, to avoid tripping the BMS overvoltage protection of the battery (which may have a small effect on lifespan of the BMS and a larger effect on lifespan of the charger). You could even charge it way down at like 13.4, it would just take forever and a day to get it done.

So my question really, is.. what do you need out of a charger? If it's going to be in an indoors environment where children or childish adults won't be coming around messing with it, the cheapest way to get 20a (25 in this case) is to buy a 0-24v adjustable power supply like these below, set it to ~14.4-14.5v, and hook it to your battery. Im recommending 0-24v models because if you buy a 12v model there is a decent chance it cant actually adjust upward enough to hit 14.4v.

$29 make your own wiring.
$44 comes with wires.

Okay, wow, I'm glad I asked. Maybe I can use the one I already got (https://www.amazon.com/Lifepo4-Lithium-Battery-Maintainer-Motorcycle/dp/B09ZLDTRZ9) for occasional usage with the batteries individually until I use the all these LiFePO4s for 12v battery banks matched with one or two Victron MP-2s (12v/3000w units).

The 20 amp charger I got has a mode selector w/ Lithium, Agm/Lead, LiFePO4, and Repair modes. I guess I could test the charger in "LiFePO4 mode" with a multimeter to see if the voltage is correct. Would I test it unattached or attached to battery? I guess unattached.

edited

For occasional use, what you have is just fine. If LiFePO4 voltage is too high (bad BMS overvolt on cells), you can use AGM or other battery types. Their equalise stage needs to be avoided but unlikely if not using full time.

Both chargers are overpriced but the 40a model is ludicrously so, imo.

As far as the health of the batteries i really think thats 99% down to being charged to an appropriate voltage, and 1% everything else combined (since neither of these things can push the 200a+ it would take to abuse the huge battery with sheer current..).

Really, anything charging it to 14.6v is fine, although it's probably SLIGHTLY preferable to charge it a little under 14.6, perhaps 14.4 or 14.5, to avoid tripping the BMS overvoltage protection of the battery (which may have a small effect on lifespan of the BMS and a larger effect on lifespan of the charger). You could even charge it way down at like 13.4, it would just take forever and a day to get it done.

So my question really, is.. what do you need out of a charger? If it's going to be in an indoors environment where children or childish adults won't be coming around messing with it, the cheapest way to get 20a (25 in this case) is to buy a 0-24v adjustable power supply like these below, set it to ~14.4-14.5v, and hook it to your battery. Im recommending 0-24v models because if you buy a 12v model there is a decent chance it cant actually adjust upward enough to hit 14.4v.

$44 comes with wires.
As far as the health of the batteries i really think thats 99% down to being charged to an appropriate voltage,
Thanks Vigo for the input, very helpful.
.. way to get 20a (25 in this case) is to buy a 0-24v adjustable power supply like these below, set it to ~14.4-14.5v, and hook it to your battery. Im recommending 0-24v models because if you buy a 12v model there is a decent chance it cant actually adjust upward enough to hit 14.4v.

$44 comes with wires.
. Gonna get one w/ wires. I can set it for 13.125v to keep the batteries in an appropriate charge for storage until I put my system together. Thanks!

The 20 amp charger I got has a mode selector w/ Lithium, Agm/Lead, LiFePO4, and Repair modes. I guess I could test the charger in "LiFePO4 mode" with a multimeter to see if the voltage is correct. Would I test it unattached or attached to battery? I guess unattached.

edited
Yes if you wanted to test it turn it on with the leads not attached and check the voltage. You would expect the LiFePO4 profile to just be a constant voltage so it should read somewhere around 14.4v.

The results might be inconclusive if the charger does have some kind of complicated profile for LiFePO4. And it looks like according to the manual it's full charge voltage is 14.6v.

Yes if you wanted to test it turn it on with the leads not attached and check the voltage. You would expect the LiFePO4 profile to just be a constant voltage so it should read somewhere around 14.4v.

The results might be inconclusive if the charger does have some kind of complicated profile for LiFePO4. And it looks like according to the manual it's full charge voltage is 14.6v.
Thanks a lot Reed!

x2 Many of us end up with Victron equipment eventually. I think most of us will admit that we should have just started with Victon from day 1.
I'm planning on getting married to Victron, just one last dalliance? Is there a wry-face emoji? But seriously, I hear what you're saying, and i'm gonna go with Victron I think for multiplus IIs etc. . And come to think of it, maybe chargers are the very last thing to skimp on, since batteries are the most expensive part of the system. Yikes, food for thought. I've always used cheap trickle chargers for 12v lead acid batteries, so I'm used to it. But I want to take care of these batteries for use in big 12v banks. What do you think of this one last guilty pleasure? $44 comes with wires.? A no no for individual battery charging of these liFePO4s?? Thanks!

Last edited:
Just understand that the $44 power supply is exactly that and not a battery charger.

Just because you can pound a nail with something, it does not make it a hammer.
Okay. Amazon return... when it gets here. I really appreciate it sir Sandals! Nice turn of phrase. Speaking of hammers, I've always been more a natural at demo work than construction, and maybe you just prevented me from more!

Back