diy solar

diy solar

Wow, basen rack.mounts batteries destroy a home in germany

Could be natural gas was inside room and battery. Over-pressure was enough to blow out walls but not to disassemble the battery box. Ignition doesn't have to come from battery, and I wouldn't expect it to unless there was a relay.

The cells got charred. Was there a subsequent fire? Were they first damaged by the explosion?

Haven't read the report to see how they arrived at initial conclusion, "The battery did it!"
I agree with your assessment. Just too many unanswered questions.

It will be "the battery did" it so government can enact more control over rogue DIY people building batteries.

Still doesn't seem conclusive just on the pics. Where are these new pics from? Was there any other context going with those pics?

Still doesn't seem conclusive just on the pics. Where are these new pics from? Was there any other context going with those pics?
The pictures were taken by the homeowner (a professional electrician) - he posted them on a German language forum.

Here's a google translate of his forum post:

Good morning,
The trigger was the middle battery of the 3. A BASEN that had been running for 1.5 years. Without making a binding statement, it boils down to a technical defect. The batteries were opened on site by the expert. LiFePO4 pouch cells were installed (16S4P). (According to the sales picture they should be prismatic (16S1P)). Since the pouches are no longer sold in China, the problem seems to be known...

Maybe the 4p is also causing problems? We are currently checking whether further testing in the laboratory would make sense in order to make possible claims for recourse to China. (Probably not)

And as bonus information for all self-builders > No CE mark, no insurance! Was present in my case. But just for information for anyone with a self-made battery made of single cells who is not an electrician! The insurance company/appraiser MUST see a CE mark, from whomever!

The middle damage battery from BASEN (picture 1).The prismatic blue ones are from the new battery that was added in 2023. (another picture from an unaffected battery) They are unaffected and are fully charged.
27757-2023-12-12-12-19-21.jpg

The new battery from 2023. (Layed above the damaged battery). Indirect thermal impact but otherwise OK. All the valves are still closed.
Here as they are still in the basement(picture 2 from my previous post). As I said, there are three, the lowest one is still hidden in the rubble.
The top pregnant one is the new one from 2023, undamaged."

I'm afraid I misread this initially - it means that the bulged battery was NOT the one that degassed.

Back