diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Electronics: DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

FYI: I asked for quote for 280AH Xuba cells, they came back with quote for 272AH cells.

280AH are still listed on ALI, I am a little confused as to why they would counter back with 272AH cells.
Here is a link to the 280AH cells that Amy sells:
280AH Eve cells

I bought them from Amy when she was with Xuba, now she is at Shenzhen Luyuan.
I bought 16, this one includes shipping, but I'm sure you can ask her for a quote:
280AH Eve cells with free shipping.

Here is a link to the 280AH cells that Amy sells:
280AH Eve cells

I bought them from Amy when she was with Xuba, now she is at Shenzhen Luyuan.
I bought 16, this one includes shipping, but I'm sure you can ask her for a quote:
280AH Eve cells with free shipping.
slight correction, she now Owns Luyuan with her Husband... when things are complete (business licences transfers and all that) and new contracts in place, the New & Improved LLuyuan will be properly introduced. Getting close....

They resent a quote for 8 of these and I bought 2 packs = 8 cells.

total $199 sea freight DDP
total with amex fee was $840 plus CC fee of $24 (??)
Battery order done.
Here is my experience ordering 16 cells ($348 shipping):

Product price + freight = $330.68*4+$348=$1670.72
My experience with delivery time (sea shipping to USA):
Ordered from Xuba 2020-09-24
Amy sent me photographs 2020-09-28 (and said they were shipped that day, labels on the boxes confirm this fact)
Amy sent me tracking information 2020-10-05 (they had a holiday, thus the delay)
Fedex sent email when they cleared customs in California: 2020-10-29
Fedex delivered (Arizona): 2020-10-31

FYI, I ordered 16 cells (280AH) and it was USD 1670.72 including shipping: $1,720.01(with the Alibaba credit card fee)
This was with Amy when she worked at Xuba.

slight correction, she now Owns Luyuan with her Husband... when things are complete (business licences transfers and all that) and new contracts in place, the New & Improved LLuyuan will be properly introduced. Getting close....

Talk to her about some good 4 and 8 cell cases with room for BMS. Stainless steel would be nice.
I bet she could sell much better battery packs than Shun Bin and do it honestly (and sell a LOT of them) and still make a good profit.
I think coupled with a "plug and play" BMS like a Daly around 200 to 250 amps she could sell "250 AH" batteries and everyone would be overjoyed (and thus could use either the 280 or 272 AH cells to overbuild them). Just be honest about capacity and use new cells, big market there.

Talk to her about some good 4 and 8 cell cases with room for BMS. Stainless steel would be nice.
I bet she could sell much better battery packs than Shun Bin and do it honestly (and sell a LOT of them) and still make a good profit.
I think coupled with a "plug and play" BMS like a Daly around 200 to 250 amps she could sell "250 AH" batteries and everyone would be overjoyed (and thus could use either the 280 or 272 AH cells to overbuild them). Just be honest about capacity and use new cells, big market there.
Many things in the works, that already on the list.
The remaining cats remain in the bag. Patience, soon things will be clear.

Remembering that we are addressing the question: "How well do you think 4 of these cells would work in a van?" and with the understanding that I am only comparing between different LFP cells, here are my thoughts, understandings, and clarifications on the above:

1. Robust physical construction

The point (in context of the question: "how well do you think 4 of these cells would work in a van") is there are other cells (Frey/Fortune, CALB, WInston, Sinopoly), that are substantially more physically robust and better suited for harsher use (both in terms of casing and terminal strength and construction).

I am not weighing in on whether these (280 EVE) cells are or are not usable in that context, just that on a spectrum of strongest to least strong physically, I would not put them near the top, for many people this won't be a concern, for some it will, depends on use-case.

2. Small Cell Size

I think you have misinterpreted the point on this one (my fault for not being more clear). Point two relates to cell size, not pack size, and it is about strength not space efficiency (point 3 is about space efficiency, and these cells score well in that respect).

This has to do with the internal cell integrity in high shock/vibration environments. As a single cell gets larger it gets weaker. Best practice in the marine world--at least for small-medium crafts is <200Ah cells, ideally 100Ah or less (and these capacities refer to the already more robust nylon cells). If interested you can read more in the Nordkyn Design series.

How important this is for you will probably depend on your usage (and to an extent how you construct the pack and the lengths you go to protect the cells). If the places you go are pretty tame, probably not worth losing any sleep over, if you push your vehicle and are frequently offroad, on washboard, etc, I think it becomes more important to consider the marine best practices.

I think this is one area where compression vs non-compression could make a substantial difference.

4. Well matched (in capacity and internal resistance)

I think this is a misunderstanding of what well matched implies, @Steve_S has covered this in detail pretty well here and elsewhere as have others. The basic matching the grey market resellers do (unless you have learned something new from one of the suppliers) is rough at best. My understanding is: A static IR check with a $40 test meter, A mid-SOC resting voltage check with a multimeter, and possibly a capacity test but no clear matching or sorting.

I don't want to dwell on this point too much as its not specifically relevant to van/vehicle based systems and has been discussed before, and alternatives at a similar price point are not guaranteed to be better matched (though from what I've seen CALB and Frey cells often seem to be--but are more expensive).

The main point I want to make is these cells are loosely matched, not well matched, and at this price point and for this application, that is probably just fine. But if you look beyond us cheapskates on this forum ;), you will come across a lot of knowledgeable folks and businesses who would not even consider the cells we are buying, some have applications that necessitate better quality others just have somewhat higher standards.

I suspect this may come across as overly negative (I hope not). Its not meant to, the above is only considering the technical merits of the cell in relation to a van build. When you factor price in (which lets be honest, this is the reason virtually everyone buys them), there is a compelling case for buying these (or similar price/quality grey market cells). These cells are not #1 in any technical category best I can tell, but they are #1 (or were) in Watt-hours / dollar, and for most people that is very very high up their priority list and quite a large selling point. If a cell can be acceptable quality at a great price, that is a good val
does your point about the larger a single cell gets the weaker it gets also apply to stationary solar storage for a home? I am interested in purchasing 16 of these 280ah cells and putting in series for 48v system And just want to make sure this is the right choice or going with smaller 3.2vcell Like 100ah or 200ah in Groups of 6 then parallel those to increase capacity?

does your point about the larger a single cell gets the weaker it gets also apply to stationary solar storage for a home? I am interested in purchasing 16 of these 280ah cells and putting in series for 48v system And just want to make sure this is the right choice or going with smaller 3.2vcell Like 100ah or 200ah in Groups of 6 then parallel those to increase capacity?
So long as you properly install / secure the cells, I think large cells are perfectly suited for stationary applications. (y)

@Dzl
In regards to what you were say about price point per ah/$, if unlike most everyone as you mentioned I am not fully concerned about the price per cell relative to alibaba that is, what lifepo4 cell would you recommend for a needed 200ah-300ah capacity at 48v with a minimum continuous discharge rating of 150amps or more?

@Dzl
In regards to what you were say about price point per ah/$, if unlike most everyone as you mentioned I am not fully concerned about the price per cell relative to alibaba that is, what lifepo4 cell would you recommend for a needed 200ah-300ah capacity at 48v with a minimum continuous discharge rating of 150amps or more?
If you are looking at 150A continuous discharge, a battery bank size of > 300Ah seems like a reasonable size (this would keep you below a 0.5C rate) Most cells are good to 1C continuous (which means 1A of current per 1Ah of capacity), but happiest below 0.5C or ideally around 0.2C.

My perspective--and I am far from an expert--is (regardless of manufacturer), if you want to prioritize quality, reliability of information, and matching over cost, your best bet is to either buy from the manufacturer directly where practical (not: not all manufacturers sell retail, and those that do often have minimum order quantities, or less consumer friendly shipping terms) or source through authorized sales channels with good reputations (CALB and Winston use this model).

Last edited:
Hey guys, I had top balanced a 4 cell pack with a power supply up to 3.65 and then left the cells disconnected for a month. Later when I assembled the pack and fully charged it in series for the first time, I found the cells where out of balance by 100 mV.
Is that expected to happen if you leave balanced cells disconnected?

Hey guys, I had top balanced a 4 cell pack with a power supply up to 3.65 and then left the cells disconnected for a month. Later when I assembled the pack and fully charged it in series for the first time, I found the cells where out of balance by 100 mV.
Is that expected to happen if you leave balanced cells disconnected?

Post discharge LiFePO4 cell voltage quickly drops to 3.5v and within days to 3.3v. I found if you separate immediately at the 3.65v parallel top balance, they drift apart on settling. Therefore I now leave them connected parallel for 2 days post top balancing to 3.65v (actually I only charge to 3.63v)

OK, Crap!

I am trying to use m6X25MM studs in my EVE 280AH cells and I just stripped the aluminum threads in 3 of the holes in the top of the cells. I have a torque wrench, I set it to 8NM per spec sheet posted here and the first 3 I tried stripped out. What gives?

How do I fix the stripped terminals?

OK, Crap!

I am trying to use m6X25MM studs in my EVE 280AH cells and I just stripped the aluminum threads in 3 of the holes in the top of the cells. I have a torque wrench, I set it to 8NM per spec sheet posted here and the first 3 I tried stripped out. What gives?

How do I fix the stripped terminals?
I think you need to look up helicoils to fix your threads.
Torque wrenches often aren't very accurate with light torques.

I think you need to look up helicoils to fix your threads.
Torque wrenches often aren't very accurate with light torques.
It's a tiny 1/4 inch drive wrench made for bikes..?

What size helicoil do I need? The studs/holes were originally m6.

Thanks.

Maybe I should get clarification on this too.

The EVE 280ah spec sheet says:
Remark: The pole is a double aluminum pole structure. The internal screw with size M6 is used in the poles. The anti-torsion of pole is 8Nm. The torsion should be less than 8Nm when used. The effective thread hole depth is 6mm.
anti-torsion means 'to resist twisting'

This doesn't appear to be a bolt tightening spec to me. It appears to be a maximum twist load that the terminals can withstand without twisting in the battery case. In other words, to me it appears they are saying if you twist harder than 8Nm on the terminal, you might damage the terminal, but this doesn't appear to be a tightening spec for the bolt, or a spec of how much load the threads in the hole can take. Just that, for the sake of the terminal mounting, you must stay under 8Nm.

Am I reading this wrong?

Back