diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Electronics: DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

Amy told me all DIY Solar Forum members get free buss bars.
The included bus bars are pretty poor quality, quite honestly. You're better off buying some better ones. Even cheap ones you could make yourself would be better.

sremick, I appreciate the advice and I might not use the buss bars. I saw Will and others saying they aren't very good. But I bet they work just fine for someone using a few of these cells. From what I see, someone who isn't very mechanically inclined could mess this up pretty bad even if they had the best materials to work with. I also see that you could strip out the screws trying to tighten down a buss bar that's too thick. Or you could get corrosion or a bad connection if you don't get it to tighten down if it's too thick.
I asked for the buss bars and it seemed like a kind gesture for Amy to give them to us for free. She also knocked $450 off the original shipping quote I got. This seems like a great deal. And Xuba is recognizing that this forum is sending a lot of business their way.
I ordered 16 and if this works out as well as it appears, I will be ordering a bunch more.
This forum is really cool. I haven't been this motivated about something for a long time.

The included bus bars are good enough too parallel top balance and charge/discharge at a lower rate. IIRC, the last I heard, XUBA is including double number of Bus Bars for forum members. Personally, they're working for me, but I don't have a big draw like an inverter. If I was transmitting with both of my ham radios and running my fridge. I would still be under 50A.

Will and others saying they aren't very good ,But I bet they work just fine for someone using a few of these cells.

Really depends on the application. The ones I received where 15mm wide x 2mm thick, which according to a buss bar table I found is good for 150A. Double them if you need ~280A or find something better (thicker, wider) beyond that.

Passive parallel balancing doesn't really work. You need to charge them all to 3.65V in parallel at least once. With a CC/CV power supply some will reach full before the others, but they will all equalize when you're done. The full ones stop taking more voltage, because the PS will not send more than 3.65V to the whole. The slower ones catch up with the fast one in that way. It really does matter and needs to be done one time at the start. You won't know for sure, if there is a problem cell without TBing them.

It's like installing spark-plugs without checking their gap. Sure they're suppose to come gapped alike, but you don't know for sure.
Amy told me all DIY Solar Forum members get free buss bars. And she lowered my shipping price a lot. My price for 16 batteries including shipping is 1710.32
Amy confirmed that there won't be any customs duty.
I'm having trouble getting my credit card to go through but I will make the payment one way or another.

Also, there are three different links on the Xuba site for 280ah batteries. One describes them as deep cycle. Amy confirmed that they are all the same batteries.

$1710.32 for 16 280Ah cells delivered to the US is a pretty great deal and I’m considering building a similar battery.

Everyone including you seem pretty happy with Xuba and Amy, so I’ll probably follow that same path, but I have a few questions:

-The Xuba cells seem like EVE LF280s but do we know that for a fact?

-Are these Grade-A cells?

-Do we know whether Xuba is supplied directly by EVE or not?

If Xuba is buying bulk quantities of grade-A cells directly from EVE and then unboxing to run a quick cycle test along with quality check on other specifications before reboxing tested and matched cells, it’s a pretty safe source.

I’m just trying to do a bit of diligence and understand in a bit more detail before buying from a reseller like Xuba or Hoami...

EVE confirmed the QR code

In my opinion its very unlikely they are truly A grade cells. But that doesn't mean they won't be adequate. So far most experiences have been good (but its worth remembering our experience with this source only goes back a bit over 6 months). Many people are finding the cells are not particularly well matched, and recently there have been at least a half dozen capacity tests showing cells that do not meet capacity specifications.

Good question, I don't know

If Xuba is buying bulk quantities of grade-A cells directly from EVE and then unboxing to run a quick cycle test along with quality check on other specifications before reboxing tested and matched cells, it’s a pretty safe source.

I suspect they do not cycle or capacity test the batteries, but this is pure speculation.

I hope someone with more insight and information can address some of your questions. I think it would be reassuring and informative to learn more about Xuba's (and other sellers) process and sources.

Last edited:
IIRC, Eve confirmed the QR code and then got upset that it was posted here. Why? No one here can answer that question.

I think and it's just a guess, XUBA checks the voltage and internal resistances and tries to match groups together. I don't think they are sending us ones that are way off the specs, but don't have any proof to back that up. It's just a SWAG on my part.

$1710.32 for 16 280Ah cells delivered to the US is a pretty great deal and I’m considering building a similar battery.

Everyone including you seem pretty happy with Xuba and Amy, so I’ll probably follow that same path, but I have a few questions:

I’m just trying to do a bit of diligence and understand in a bit more detail before buying from a reseller like Xuba or Hoami...

Hi fafrd, I'm sorry I don't have the answers to your good questions. I just read a lot of what others said and thought it seemed like for the price it was worth trying. Testla and Enphase quoted something like $15,000 for that much battery. And then from what I gather you are locked into their expensive stuff forever. People here have figured out how to make a better system much cheaper. Adding more batteries later is really cheap and it will keep getting cheaper. I am trying to be very careful because mistakes can be expensive and dangerous.

Last edited:
If they aren't EVE cells, then they are knock-offs designed specifically to look exactly like EVE cells. The dimensions, weight and unique telltale design features match EVE 280Ah cells exactly.

This is my first post. Hi everyone. Im in contact with amy now about 16 280ah batteries. She quoted a little over 1700 which is great. I just recieved my 10 used santansolar 250 watt panels last week. They are used trina solar with labels removed. They look good and tested good and they sent me an extra one for free. Im looking to order a top of pole mount now for 10 panels, 3000 watt inverter charger and a charge controller. I had ordered a makeskyblue60 amp but i got ahead of myself as its too small for my needs. Any suggestions for those three items? Ill be sure to test batteries when i recieve them and post results.

This is my first post. Hi everyone. Im in contact with amy now about 16 280ah batteries. She quoted a little over 1700 which is great. I just recieved my 10 used santansolar 250 watt panels last week. They are used trina solar with labels removed. They look good and tested good and they sent me an extra one for free. Im looking to order a top of pole mount now for 10 panels, 3000 watt inverter charger and a charge controller. I had ordered a makeskyblue60 amp but i got ahead of myself as its too small for my needs. Any suggestions for those three items? Ill be sure to test batteries when i recieve them and post results.

This website has a lot of pole mount options: https://www.solarpanelstore.com/collections/top-of-pole-mounts

They have a good amount of other stuff including inverters and solar charge controllers. I'm working on an order from them for four panels, two charge controllers, a battery monitor and a circuit breaker box.

Hi Kmartin, and welcome to the forum!

I suggest searching for these questions individually, they are pretty standard Q's and most have been covered a handful of times at least, its just a matter of finding them. The more questions and answers are asked and answered in on topic posts and outside of megathreads like this where they are lost in a day or two, the easier it becomes to search for and find answers in the future. Alternatively, starting your own thread for questions specific to your situation in the relevant sub might get more responses.

There is some extra info needed to properly answer your questions:

Where in the world are you (120v country or 230v country?)

For the charge controller, how will the panels be arranged, what is the Voc and Isc of the total array (or of the individual panels). What will the battery bank voltage be (48v?). Without knowing the specifics of your sitation: 60A or above Victron Smartsolar, Outback Flexmax, Midnite Classic, and Morningstar Tristar are some top quality options. (see here). Epever would be one more budget friendly alternative. Additionally 2 or more smaller controllers in parallel could work.

For the inverter, are you looking for an off grid inverter? Is single phase (120v) okay or do you require Split Phase (240v)? Assuming 120v output, 48v input, off grid: Have a look at the Victron Multiplus Quattro, Samlex Evo, Magnum MS, they are all top quality options (see here). Xantrex, Aims, Sigineer, Sungoldpower are some other somewhat cheaper options to consider.

Last edited:
My Higee 120Ah cells from XUBA shipped today via sea. 16 of them for a golf cart battery build.

I uploaded the Specification sheet for these cells to the Resources section:

Now the planning starts for creating a box and securing them into the golf cart. Is there a reason for not using something like SEABOARD (HDPE plastic) in combination with some aluminum angle? I'm more comfortable cutting HDPE than aluminum. Should the batteries be entirely enclosed or just the top to protect from shorts? My initial thought is to use HDPE sheets from the top and ends with aluminum angle to joing them together and then 3D print a top and bottom cap (like Frey/Forunte cells use) that accepts a threaded rod to lock everything together with the HDPE ends? Any thoughts on any of my questions?

Ship date via sea for 16 120Ah Higee cells was July 15th - just got the FedEx notice that they'll be delivered on 8/18 to Seattle, WA - 35 days from ship date.

Anyone know if these need to be signed for? I'm not in town next week!

Ship date via sea for 16 120Ah Higee cells was July 15th - just got the FedEx notice that they'll be delivered on 8/18 to Seattle, WA - 35 days from ship date.

Anyone know if these need to be signed for? I'm not in town next week!
Is there going to be someone to move them off your porch? There should be a place to modify the delivery instructions on their website. There should be an option to hold for delivery on a future date. I wouldn't want them just sitting on my porch for any length of time.

Is there going to be someone to move them off your porch? There should be a place to modify the delivery instructions on their website. There should be an option to hold for delivery on a future date. I wouldn't want them just sitting on my porch for any length of time.

Yep, I can have a neighbor move them into my garage - just didnt want to ask them to wait at the house to sign. I wasnt expecting the cells until September and am in the process of moving back to Seattle so am assuming they'll be fine in their boxes in my garage until I return in 4 weeks or so.

Back