diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Electronics: DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

Steve or others do you have any insight into:
1. Why was Luyuan formed in the first place?
2. Why Amy and Xuba parted ways?

I am not at liberty to discuss WHY they parted ways, in the end it is better for Amy.
Luyuan was created by some of the partners of "the group", they are "loosely" connected.
Amy is taking some time off (well deserved) and she'll be back to things soon. She's also just finished her degree so she's going to be putting the enhanced education to use. Sorry, that's not up to me to share either.

Amy's husband & I agree on several points, even her daughter has chimed in with similar thinking... what a great kid she has ! I'm in touch with Amy every few days on various things and there are some ideas percolating but business processes in China are very very different than elsewhere. She's going to continue with Luyuan Tech and help grow that with new connections & more product options. Her leaving XUBA is actually a good opportunity for her and may actually benefit folks here too...

It's complicated and I likely said too much.
I cannot and will not support XUBA anymore... It may be prudent for new buyer's to redirect themselves to LUYUAN Tech. Just a friendly suggestion folks... wink wink.

Amy's husband & I agree on several points, even her daughter has chimed in with similar thinking... what a great kid she has ! I'm in touch with Amy every few days on various things and there are some ideas percolating but business processes in China are very very different than elsewhere. She's going to continue with Luyuan Tech and help grow that with new connections & more product options. Her leaving XUBA is actually a good opportunity for her and may actually benefit folks here too...

It's complicated and I likely said too much.
I cannot and will not support XUBA anymore... It may be prudent for new buyer's to redirect themselves to LUYUAN Tech. Just a friendly suggestion folks... wink wink.

Given the less than warm response from the new custodian of Amy's former Xuba account, I don't expect Xuba to offer friendly after sales support.

Well I don't know if that was good or bad timing... I was literally about to push the button on an order from XUBA with Amy. Then suddenly the chat changed to Selina Li.
Selina was keen for me to change my order from EVE280Ah to the Lishen 272Ah

I had an old thread with Amy via Luyan. So I managed to find her apparently still working there. God knows what to believe now !

I can't comment on your situations, but the new rep Selina Li has been nothing but polite with me, and I have issues with two of my cells. So we will see how it is dealt with.

Just an FYI, I did ask before I'm posting this.
Amy now has her own business:

Dear John:

Here is Wan Amy,once worked for Xuba.

I am forwarding this Introduction to our new Company which my Husband & I have taken over. We intend to continue with our Services & products while improving options & choices to deliver an even better and more complete shopping experience. I feel we will be better able to provide a great customer experience and a good selection of quality products for more complete solutions for our clients.

Please feel free to visit our site : https://szluyuan.en.alibaba.com

Please feel free to contact us through our email: Amylovelifesz@163.com

Or whatsapp account at: 13425163957

Thank You and Have a Great Day,

Wan Amy of Luyuan Tech

Just an FYI, I did ask before I'm posting this.
Amy now has her own business:

Great to hear. With her old role she wasn't the boss and for example there was a Septenber "Alibaba supplier's festival" Xuba sale that was to go for a month, this sale was terminated without notice a few weeks before the end of the month.

Hi All, figured I'd give an update since I've been using my Xuba EVE 280's (24V@560AH, 16 cells) on & off for the last 7+ months or so. Averaging about 4KWh usage a day to match my 1KWh solar array (soon to be 3KWh). Just came in handy with Tropical storm Eta this past week here in Florida. Served more as a large UPS in this case, multiple utility power flickers during the storm.

Just did another basic capacity test. Still going strong! At least for my intended usage. Charged to 28.3V. Top balance is slightly off. A few cells peaked at 3.65V, the rest at about 3.5V. Discharged at a low C-rate (avg 300Wh). I set the inverter low-voltage cut-off to 22.5V (2.8V per cell). Set low-voltage warning alarm at 22.7V. Took about 5 days or so to fully discharge. Using 2 cheap 60A BMS's for balancing only, not using P- connection. So, right now I'm just trusting the solar charge controller and inverter/charger will prevent over-charging and over-discharging the battery packs.

IMG_20201114_174016399_MP.jpg IMG_20201114_173948021_MP.jpg

I just experimented with a basic 2x4 wood shelf concept so the cells don't take up so much room on the floor. This is a proof-of-concept as I'll be setting these cells up at our recreational hunt camp. So, just a temporary setup here. I like that it only sticks out about 4" from the wall. We recently built a building at camp where we'll setup a powerwall from floor to ceiling. The shelf is 4' tall x 3' wide. The inverters, charge controllers, breaker panels, displays, etc... will be above the battery shelf. Trying to keep it simple, maintenance accessible, at reasonable cost, and with a little more safety in mind.
IMG_20201108_095207581.jpg IMG_20201114_180719997.jpg IMG_20201114_180632499.jpg IMG_20201114_181538376.jpg

I also did a high-charging test using a Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter/generator. I threw 80A charging at it and found a couple hotspots on some of the cell terminal connections (2/0 cables). I readjusted and tightened them down better, solving the problem. Although, the 300A ANL fuse holder I'm using also got too hot to the touch. So, I still need to re-evaluate that.

Our current powerwall at camp is a hodge-podge of the cheaper solar power stuff that's under a carport-like structure (with 2KWh panels on roof). Now, that we're adding bigger, more expensive, more reliable equipment, we're wanting to put it all in a lockable building so it's not so conveniently easy for someone to steal. Currently, we have a coffin-sized battery box full of 20 flooded lead-acid 6V golf cart batteries (~5KWh usable capacity). Also have a ~8KWh LiFePO4 Shunbin battery box (24V@348Ah). The BMS just died on it (after about a year), replaced it with a cheapy BMS for now. I brought it back home and I'll use it for home backup power and testing. It's still good other-wise.
IMG_20200608_112251954.jpg

Our power usage keeps growing at camp, so hoping to eventually decommission the golf cart battery box and go with Two 24V 14KWh LiFePO4 battery banks, 2 primary inverters, 2 backup inverters, multiple solar arrays, etc... for redundancy (minimize single-points-of-failure). I just gotta place another order of 16 cells once I get the first system setup.

If you care to see my other capacity tests on these cells.

Last edited:
How well do you think 4 of these cells would work in a van solar rig?
Not sure if your question was meant for me or not....I am assuming it was.
These cells are perfect for your application, if assembled and installed correctly with a good bms.
More available watts in a form factor that takes up less space and weighs less than with flooded lead acid or gel batteries.

Not sure if your question was meant for me or not....I am assuming it was.
These cells are perfect for your application, if assembled and installed correctly with a good bms.
More available watts in a form factor that takes up less space and weighs less than with flooded lead acid or gel batteries.
More of a general request for an opinion but thank you.

I am curious about the voltage disparity between the BMS and the JunTek. Did you use a DMM to verify which one was the most accurate? I have a JunTek VAT1100 and have found it to be accurate. I always power it with a USB power pack and use it wirelessly.

I would say you did good with the ah's. I am getting 272ah's with 8 cells in series and I am happy with that.

How well do you think 4 of these cells would work in a van solar rig?
My opinion is they would likely be adequate but not optimal for this application.

From my research, for more harsh mobile applications (Marine, overland/off-road, etc) you want:
1. Robust physical construction
2. Small Cell Size
3. High Energy Density

And in general you ideally want:
4. Well matched (in capacity and internal resistance)
5. Low cost

Generally you can't have all of these things at the same time. The 280 EVE cells, satisfy points 3 and 5. And point 5 is far and away the largest factor driving their popularity. Some of the points that these cells do not satisfy can be partially compensated for in other ways (external protection/compression for instance).

Setting aside cost, I think CALB/Sinopoly/WInston cells are good choices for mobile applications if you have enough space to not worry about every cubic inch. If space is more of a concern I think Frey/Fortune cells are a very solid choice as well, or even just smaller commodity aluminum cells, but the first two options would be my first choices if cost wasn't a factor.

The above is somewhat based on the assumption that the van will be both on and off road. The more time spent offroad the more important this comment becomes, the less time spent offroad the less relevant this comment is.

Last edited:
1. Robust physical construction
2. Small Cell Size
3. High Energy Density

And in general you ideally want:
4. Well matched (in capacity and internal resistance)
5. Low cost
1. These cells fit this if you build your pack right.
2. With 3 being true for these cells, so is 2 if you compare them to the same amp hours of FLA or GEL
3. already covered by you.
4. These will will be well matched for internal resistance. Matching for capacity is less of a concern if you are not trying to wring every amp hour possible out of them (at least that is my belief)
5. already covered by you

So, no, they are not a good fit for his application if he does not build his pack well.
They also have a huge advantage over any battery that you have to keep track of fluid level and that kind of thing. At least in the RV's I have had, and with my having spinal cord damage, checking fluid level in my batteries was always a major PIA before I went to LifePo4.

With regard to item #2 Small Cell Size, the way I think about it is that my 560Ah of DIY cells has a far smaller footprint than does an Ah equivalent of Battleborn batteries and my DIY cells are far less expensive.

Back