diy solar

diy solar

12VDC, 30A Smart Battery Charger for $40.

FWIW, I bought a DLS-45 this week as well as the IQ LiFePO module.
Did you get it yet? Inquiring minds want to know?

I can feel a trip out to Goldmine coming this weekend. I haven't been there since before they moved out of Scottsdale. It was like visiting the Mummy King (incredibly dusty). Glad to see they are still active. Probably under new ownership (unless it is the next generation, or two).

As a quick review. I bought the DLS 30 from Goldmine above. It arrived a day or two ago. Packaged really well and looks super clean. It does indeed have the IQ port open. My LIFEPO4 IQ module arrived as well. I'll be mating those two with a power cord this weekend.

Mine should be here Saturday.

I have a DLS-45/IQ4 already. However, that IQ "module" is built into the box (hardwired). No other module can be substituted. I was having issues with it. The charge profile seemed to be off by quite a bit and IOTA tech support confirmed that. I fired up the generator last night (the converter is still installed in the trailer) after disconnecting the power from the battery using the 12 volt disconnect switch in the trailer. I'm wondering if that reset the converter because the charge volts are now much more in line with what they should be.

This little experiment also confirmed to me that the converter is drawing a small amount of power from the battery all the time. The spec sheet doesn't mention a constant draw. I posed the question to tech support this morning.

Follow Up from my conversation with IOTA Engineering about my AC-DC converter. There is a draw from the converter against the battery, even though there is no AC input. Small draw, less than .01 amp.

They also confirmed that disconnecting the battery side leads probably reset the converter.

That is cooler than hell (Phoenix anyways, what makes it funnier that they are in a suburb of Phoenix).

What does this module do exactly? I mean, the DLS unit already limits current to < 30 A (for the DLS 30) and voltage to < 13.6. This is pretty safe for LiFePO4, no?

What does this module do exactly? I mean, the DLS unit already limits current to < 30 A (for the DLS 30) and voltage to < 13.6. This is pretty safe for LiFePO4, no?

The module has a custom charge profile that is specific to LiFePO4. A standard four stage charge profile for a flooded lead acid battery has a stage for resolving sulfation. You wouldn't want that for a LiFePO4 battery.

The attraction of the IOTA converter - at least to me - is that should I move up to an inverter/charger unit, like the Victron Quattro, I can pull the IOTA converter out and sell it to anybody. All they need to do it buy an IQ module specific to their battery type and they're ready to go. With almost every other converter brand you would have to sell the converter to someone that used the exact same battery chemistry because that converter doesn't have the ability to change charge profiles.

The module has a custom charge profile that is specific to LiFePO4. A standard four stage charge profile for a flooded lead acid battery has a stage for resolving sulfation. You wouldn't want that for a LiFePO4 battery.

What I was thinking is to simply use it as a current-limited (30A for the DLS30) 13.6 V source. Then it would charge my 4s 200 Ah setup at C/6 and never go above 13.6 V (or 14.2 with the "plug"). According to this thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/lifepo4-voltage-chart.3156/ this would charge to ~ 90%.

What I was thinking is to simply use it as a current-limited (30A for the DLS30) 13.6 V source. Then it would charge my 4s 200 Ah setup at C/6 and never go above 13.6 V (or 14.2 with the "plug"). According to this thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/lifepo4-voltage-chart.3156/ this would charge to ~ 90%.

If I owned a simple DLS unit I might have stuck with it and configured it as you're saying. But mine was not a simple DLS unit. It was hardwired for four stage processing, so I chose to buy a unit that could specifically support a LiFePO4 charge profile.

Do you guys know the charging profile with Lifepo4 module? Does it do variable current or constant?

lifepo4 is best charged cc/cv.
cc=constant current
cv=constant voltage

Here is how it works.
Phase 1 is constant current.
During this phase the charger controls the the current flow into the battery by lowering the charge voltage to just enough over the battery voltage to allow the configured current value to flow. During this phase the charger gradually increases the charge voltage to keep the current flow at the configured limit.
Phase 2 is constant voltage.
It begins when the charger reaches its configured voltage.
Now the battery controls the current draw.
The current flow tapers off as the battery voltage converges with the charger voltage.

Do you guys know the charging profile with Lifepo4 module? Does it do variable current or constant?
As @smoothJoey points out, it does both. Almost any power supply will be a CC/CV charger. Depending on the load it will put out the max Amps it is rated for until the max voltage is reached then the current will be adjusted to keep the voltage at the programmed voltage.

lifepo4 is best charged cc/cv.
cc=constant current
cv=constant voltage

Here is how it works.
Phase 1 is constant current.
During this phase the charger controls the the current flow into the battery by lowering the charge voltage to just enough over the battery voltage to allow the configured current value to flow. During this phase the charger gradually increases the charge voltage to keep the current flow at the configured limit.
Phase 2 is constant voltage.
It begins when the charger reaches its configured voltage.
Now the battery controls the current draw.
The current flow tapers off as the battery voltage converges with the charger voltage.

Thanks, I wanted to see if anyone has the detailed profile for this particular charger with the IQ module? The Noco Charger I have charges at 14.2v 26a until battery pack reaches 13.2V, and then it reduces to 50% amp, (14.2V 13A) and then a little later (closer to 13.6), 10a...

So for a 280ah battery from near empty it charges only for over a little an hour at 26a (to hit 13.2v), and then it charges most of the time ~15-18 hours at 13a and then lowering to 10 afor some more. I'd like to get a charger that'll charge a bit faster at the higher current.

As @smoothJoey points out, it does both. Almost any power supply will be a CC/CV charger. Depending on the load it will put out the max Amps it is rated for until the max voltage is reached then the current will be adjusted to keep the voltage at the programmed voltage.

Thanks! Do you know what voltage it is set at before dropping amp?

The Noco Charger I have charges at 14.2v 26a until battery pack reaches 13.2V, and then it reduces to 50% amp, (14.2V 13A) and then a little later (closer to 13.6), 10a...So for a 280ah battery from near empty it charges for a litle over an hour at 26a, and then it charges most of the time 15 hours at 13a and then lowering to 10 for some more. I'd like to get a charger that'll charge a bit faster.
The only way to get a faster charge is to increase the Amps. In the case of the Noco it sounds like the voltage setting at 13.2 volts is where it transitions from CC to CV. Then it tapers until the Amps get to 10 Amps which is probably the float voltage setting. If you have Lithium you want to avoid Float unless you can put a timer on it or unplug it.

The only way to get a faster charge is to increase the Amps. In the case of the Noco it sounds like the voltage setting at 13.2 volts is where it transitions from CC to CV. Then it tapers until the Amps get to 10 Amps which is probably the float voltage setting. If you have Lithium you want to avoid Float unless you can put a timer on it or unplug it.

Float is fine as long as it at or below the full resting voltage of the battery.
Think of it as load assist.

The way a charger lowers the amps it delivers is by reducing the charge voltage.
Its the differential between the battery voltage and charger voltage that determines the current flow.
@Ampster ^

Back