diy solar

diy solar

$2948 for (32) (280aH)(New) LiFePO4

$3k to China.... You are much braver (or better financed) that I am :) I am a little fuzzy on the math, but is that basically a 27kw pack?
Yes, the math looks likes this:
16 cells = 48v x 280ah = 13.4kwh
32 cells = 48v x 560ah = 26.8kwh (2 x 16 cells in parallel)
If you use nominal of 3.2v = 51.2v x 560ah = 28.6kwh. Which is some nice run time for a typical home after daylight hours! ;)

OK ... so of course I am a glutton for punishment and obviously after kicking over the beehive on my last post -- https://diysolarforum.com/threads/3...red-delivered-by-alithor-new-energy-co.20063/ where i found the batteries for (32) for 3143 i thought - what the hell - its Friday - its a half day -- our high today is going to be 93 - so lets beat this horse to death ---

I was contacted by SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD and offered 32 280aH New Grade batteries .. delivered .. door to door for $2948.

They said that they would guarantee that the batteries were all tested (voltage and resistance) and that it would also include the longer welded 6 mm stud mounts, busbars and nuts. They also said that they would guarantee a 30-45 day delivery.

SOOO being out in the middle of nowhere Texas and not having anything to do when i get off except go back to the housing unit and watch NETFLIX ... I thought that I would reach out to EVE Energy Company in China and see why there was such a difference in pricing that we are seeing here ... some of the vendors on this board are selling (32) for 4444 and some are down to $2198 - so whats the difference ???

SO keeping in mind that my Chinese is the equilivant of DORA speaking Spanish I was kind of happy that the person I was talking to was at least half way fluent in English ...

SO - basically it sot of boils down to a "market grab" - PLUS an over abundance of Lithium (core) surplus ... In about June of 2018 as TESLA announced they were going to make most of their battery stuff in China, Lithium ore producers rushed to deliver more supply, overwhelming the pace of demand and that has continued for the last 2-3 years .... THEN a Chinese Govt forecast in DEC 2020 forecasted that the Lithium prices would rise in March 2021 (which it didn't) and companies bought even more thinking that they needed to stock up when they could -- including EVE ... so now - lots of Lithium stuck under ppl's desks ...

The market plays out this way ..

EVE 3%
LISHEN 3%
BYD 17%
CATL 51%
OTHERS 26%

EVE’s has got to build market share (keeping prices low and sell allot) AND keep the stockholders happy (sell the crap out of them) ... otherwise they are afraid that they will be like the 30 other Lithium companies that existed 2 years ago that got swallowed up. Eve feels that like every other company that unless they have a distinctive edge in their products, they will be forced to exit the battery race - thus their quality has improved drastically over the last 18 months - they have doubled their quality control and testing --AND -- THEY HAVE MADE THEIR BATTERY PRICING MORE ATTRACTIVE to companies like SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD that is using the same business model as EVE and trying to sell as many as they can in order to look attractive to either stockholders or future acquisitions ...

SO - I dropped another order for (32) this morning from this company ... I will let you know -- I got 64 total coming in from 2 separate companies .. both with very low prices ... SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD was at 2948 and the other was at 3142 ...

I am working with a girl by the name of ENYA SHAO at STARMAX.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY OF THESE PPL.... I DON'T GET ANYTHING FREE OR A KICKBACK OR ANYTHING --I MAY GET A BOX OF BRICKS FOR ALL I KNOW... I HAVE HOWEVER GOT A COUPLE OF PROPOSALS FOR MARRIAGE THAT I AM CONSIDERING BUT THATS A DIFFERENT THREAD ...

SOOO with all of that said -- I still do not know of any reason that some are selling for 4444 and some for 2198 (1/2 the price) ... as for me - I'll take the cheapest - test the hell out of them - if they are bad then tell my CCC and get my money back ... BUT talking to Enya - I think that I will be OK ....

View attachment 42628

View attachment 42629
Got a great quote from them, about 2weeks ago, after a couple of back and forth, was ready to pull the trigger,

Booioom, rep now says it's Rept cells they now have☹️☹️

I was contacted by SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD and offered 32 280aH New Grade batteries .. delivered .. door to door for $2948.

They said that they would guarantee that the batteries were all tested (voltage and resistance) and that it would also include the longer welded 6 mm stud mounts, busbars and nuts. They also said that they would guarantee a 30-45 day delivery.

SOOO being out in the middle of nowhere Texas and not having anything to do when i get off except go back to the housing unit and watch NETFLIX ... I thought that I would reach out to EVE Energy Company in China and see why there was such a difference in pricing that we are seeing here ... some of the vendors on this board are selling (32) for 4444 and some are down to $2198 - so whats the difference ???

SO keeping in mind that my Chinese is the equilivant of DORA speaking Spanish I was kind of happy that the person I was talking to was at least half way fluent in English ...

SO - basically it sot of boils down to a "market grab" - PLUS an over abundance of Lithium (core) surplus ... In about June of 2018 as TESLA announced they were going to make most of their battery stuff in China, Lithium ore producers rushed to deliver more supply, overwhelming the pace of demand and that has continued for the last 2-3 years .... THEN a Chinese Govt forecast in DEC 2020 forecasted that the Lithium prices would rise in March 2021 (which it didn't) and companies bought even more thinking that they needed to stock up when they could -- including EVE ... so now - lots of Lithium stuck under ppl's desks ...

The market plays out this way ..

EVE 3%
LISHEN 3%
BYD 17%
CATL 51%
OTHERS 26%

EVE’s has got to build market share (keeping prices low and sell allot) AND keep the stockholders happy (sell the crap out of them) ... otherwise they are afraid that they will be like the 30 other Lithium companies that existed 2 years ago that got swallowed up. Eve feels that like every other company that unless they have a distinctive edge in their products, they will be forced to exit the battery race - thus their quality has improved drastically over the last 18 months - they have doubled their quality control and testing --AND -- THEY HAVE MADE THEIR BATTERY PRICING MORE ATTRACTIVE to companies like SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD that is using the same business model as EVE and trying to sell as many as they can in order to look attractive to either stockholders or future acquisitions ...

SO - I dropped another order for (32) this morning from this company ... I will let you know -- I got 64 total coming in from 2 separate companies .. both with very low prices ... SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD was at 2948 and the other was at 3142 ...

I am working with a girl by the name of ENYA SHAO at STARMAX.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY OF THESE PPL.... I DON'T GET ANYTHING FREE OR A KICKBACK OR ANYTHING --I MAY GET A BOX OF BRICKS FOR ALL I KNOW... I HAVE HOWEVER GOT A COUPLE OF PROPOSALS FOR MARRIAGE THAT I AM CONSIDERING BUT THATS A DIFFERENT THREAD ...

SOOO with all of that said -- I still do not know of any reason that some are selling for 4444 and some for 2198 (1/2 the price) ... as for me - I'll take the cheapest - test the hell out of them - if they are bad then tell my CCC and get my money back ... BUT talking to Enya - I think that I will be OK ....

View attachment 42628

View attachment 42629

OK ... so of course I am a glutton for punishment and obviously after kicking over the beehive on my last post -- https://diysolarforum.com/threads/3...red-delivered-by-alithor-new-energy-co.20063/ where i found the batteries for (32) for 3143 i thought - what the hell - its Friday - its a half day -- our high today is going to be 93 - so lets beat this horse to death ---

So I’m ready to bite the bullet here for 16 of these, who do I talk to at this price point? Sorry for the noob question, been lurking for months but apparently still getting the lay of the land.

She looks kind of cute. I'd buy from her.

Just kidding.

I paid extra to buy from a reputable company. My cells were just average. But there was nothing wrong with them.

I wouldn't buy from a company unless they have a good history that I can check.

She looks kind of cute. I'd buy from her.

Just kidding.

I paid extra to buy from a reputable company. My cells were just average. But there was nothing wrong with them.

I wouldn't buy from a company unless they have a good history that I can check.

I think the key characteristic to select for in this wild-west LiFePO4 cell reselling era is finding resellers/trading companies who are in this market for the long-haul and not just because reselling grey-market discounted LFePO4 cells is the latest flavor-du-jour.

Ideally, you’d like to find a supplier buying true bulk Grade-A cells directly from EVE, but that’s pretty tough to suss out (and talk is cheap).

Next to that, evaluating suppliers on how well they take care of customers disappointed because they received damaged cells and/or cells delivering deficient capacity is the best indicator of who’s in this market for the long haul versus the fly-by-night outfits...

Last edited:
I think the key characteristic to select for in this wild-west LiFePO4 cell reselling era is finding resellers/trading companies who are in this market for the long-haul and not just because reselling grey-market discounted LFePO4 cells is the latest flavor-du-jour.

Ideally, you’d like to find a supplier buying true bulk Grade-A cells directly from EVE, but that’s pretty tough to suss out (and talk is cheap).

Next to that, evaluating suppliers on how well they take care of customers disappointed because they received damaged cells and/or cells delivering deficient capacity is the best indicator of who’s in this market for the long haul versus the flu-by-night outfits...
I assume that is a typing mistake. lol

Some of the resellers have an established business that you can check. They've had the same employees for years.
They aren't some dealer working out of a temporary location.

I assume that is a typing mistake. lol

Some of the resellers have an established business that you can check. They've had the same employees for years.
They aren't some dealer working out of a temporary location.

Yes, thanks (fixed).

It’s not the length of the business that matters as much as the length of time they’ve been selling battery cells...

Ghostwriter has a big advantage over most of us because she has a lot of experience and she speaks Chinese.
And those terminals look really good.

Hopefully we'll hear good news when these cells arrive.

This article seems to confirm the overabundance of Lithium. It suggests that this could impact the price significantly.

(disclaimer: this article was written in 2019, so it's a bit old, but seems to be accurately predicting events)

Morgan Stanley forecasts that new supply from Argentina, Australia, and Chile, could add 500,000 tonnes of lithium to the market per year by 2025. That’s more than twice as much as the current annual supply of approximately 215,000 tonnes. One of the analysts said, “We expect these supply additions to swamp forecast demand growth,” according to the FT.

Exciting times for battery development and pricing! i’ll build a large battery bank next year....

When I see the smaller surface area of the tops of those terminals I start to think about making some really thick bus bars out of aluminum that have a cavity on the underside that will fit over the terminal. That will greatly increase the surface area contact. However, it would also make it absolutely necessary to be have the cells clamped well enough that there would never be any movement.

The terminals in the picture look like some of the terminals I've had on my Odyssey batteries that use a regular battery clamp, but are held down from on top.

Contacted the seller. They refer to http://chinarept.com/Col/Col57/Index.aspx as the producer of the batteries.
They added these photos as well as some information regarding the cells they offer. General information looks good, but I'm a newbie in this area.

View attachment 43208View attachment 43209View attachment 43210View attachment 43211.
so if my Chinese is holding up - its saying that these battery rankings and for both cars and truck batteries //// This is important since the numbers are different for SOLAR STORAGE but really - who cares ... its all good

Back