diy solar

diy solar

40amp or 50amp charge bad for eg4?

priorityelec

I have 6 of the EG4 48v batteries. They never are all at the same battery percentage according to the BMS software. No biggie, they're close enough and work great. I get all the rated power out of them. The issue is that when I charge them up, they don't reach 100% at the same time. One battery will be at 99% and the other at 96%. So if I have 6000 watts of solar coming in, it's not 1000watts going to each battery. Some batteries will report 5 or 10 amps current and some will say 30amps...40amps...finally 50amps just as it hits 100%.

I feel like this is too much power to go into the battery to top it off....shouldn't it top it off a little more gentle?

Last edited:
My poor memory says I have bulk set to 58v and float at 54v. Batteries are not getting warm as far as I can tell.

50a is quite high for 58v on a 100ah battery.
How long does it charge at this rate?
Under 30 minutes, isn't bad. Over an hour might concern me.

Ideally you could keep it around a 20 amp charge. 30 amps works fine. How do you have the rack wired?

Each battery has 4ft 2 awg cables going to a 300amp rated bus bar. Inverter 1 has 4ft cables too and inverter 2 has 5ft cables all 2 awg.

I guess my main concern is that usually it's been my experience that Lithium likes to be slow charged at the higher voltages. I'm worried that doing the opposite could shorten lifespan of my batteries.

Back