diy solar

diy solar

48 v Solar panel

David glenn

I’m currently using 48 V 10 amp solar panels in my 12 V system do I need to change to 24,36 or 48 V to achieve the full potential of the solar panels wattage?

I’m currently using 48 V 10 amp solar panels in my 12 V system do I need to change to 24,36 or 48 V to achieve the full potential of the solar panels wattage?
No, any reasonable MPPT SCC will do the voltage conversion just fine. Its pretty much the whole point with MPPT SCCs.

If you post your panels specs and SCC model/specs, we can see if its compatible and help you optimize it.

No, any reasonable MPPT SCC will do the voltage conversion just fine. Its pretty much the whole point with MPPT SCCs.

If you post your panels specs and SCC model/specs, we can see if its compatible and help you optimize it.
Am I getting the full 370w at 12v. This setup is in my beach trailer and I’m wanting to maximize my charging for A/C, A/C refrigerator and other A\C appliances to minimize my possible generator usage

Attachments

• IMG_2126.jpeg
    IMG_2126.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0798.jpeg
    IMG_0798.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 11
The controller pictured charges up to 14.4 V and up to 35 to 40 A I believe that’s only five or 600 watts to my battery.

The controller pictured charges up to 14.4 V and up to 35 to 40 A I believe that’s only five or 600 watts to my battery.
I do not think that is an MPPT charge controller. Someone else here commonly says that if it has a USB port, its PWM.

I'm not an MPPT snob but they are often necessary for big panels/arrays.
Can you post the specs of the SCC? And how are your (2?) panels connected, parallel or series? (i will assume parallel since series voltage would certainly smoke that SCC).

How many amps is that SCC rated for?

370W x 2 / 14.4V = 51A to the battery(s).

Need SCC and array info.

I do not think that is an MPPT charge controller. Someone else here commonly says that if it has a USB port, its PWM.

Can you post the specs of the SCC? And how are your (2?) panels connected, parallel or series? (i will assume parallel since series voltage would certainly smoke that SCC).

Need SCC and array info.
You’re correct, my mistake, PWT

Attachments

• IMG_2128.png
    IMG_2128.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Thoughts???
What battery(s)? How many watt hours and what chemistry?
Does he have 2x 370W panels?

charging for A/C, A/C refrigerator and other A\C appliances to minimize my possible generator usage
How many watt hours is this daily? A/C as in air conditioner? How big, how many hours?

AC (alternating current) refrigerator? How big/efficient?

You need to determine the expected usage before sizing equipment to satisfy the needs.

For those following along...

CORRECTION: OP has the 80A version of this (cannot find link, only to 30A model).

Max PV Open Circuit Voltage100V

Array and panel info? Pic shows 2 panels so assuming 370W x 2.

740W / 14.4V = 52A
Your 80A SCC is is just fine in terms of charging amps. Only concern would be if 2 panels are in series, dangerously close to 100V hard limit on input. A few degrees below freezing and array is over 100V (bad).

What does your SCC say the charging amps are when charging (full sun, batteries not full)?

Last edited:

Need SCC and array info.
370 x 4 parallel

370 x 4 parallel
Thats got to be close to 40A. The MC4 connectors and 10AWG panel wires are good to about 30A.

370W x 4 = 1480W

1480W / 14.4V = 103A

So you are leaving 25A up on the roof.
If you are happy with that "value priced" SCC and its working for you, i'd consider getting a second identical SCC and put 2 panels to each SCC.
Then buy a 3rd as a spare.

If you want suggestions for one big SCC, thats doable too (this 80A would make a good spare while at the beach (i see skimboards).

For the inverter, you need to figure out your energy needs.
What battery(s)? There is a limit to how many amps you can pump into them.

Back