diy solar

diy solar

48 v Solar panel

Thats got to be close to 40A. The MC4 connectors and 10AWG panel wires are good to about 30A.

370W x 4 = 1480W

1480W / 14.4V = 103A

So you are leaving 25A up on the roof.
If you are happy with that "value priced" SCC and its working for you, i'd consider getting a second identical SCC and put 2 panels to each SCC.
Then buy a 3rd as a spare.

If you want suggestions for one big SCC, thats doable too (this 80A would make a good spare while at the beach (i see skimboards).

For the inverter, you need to figure out your energy needs.
What battery(s)? There is a limit to how many amps you can pump into them.
I currently have 3-12.8 V 200 amp hour, lithium batteries and I understand three parallel is about the limit. i’m looking at using one battery with my current system to run my 12 V appliances and using the other two batteries in series for a 24 V and adding to 5 kWh 24 V lithium batteries and an all in one controller for the system.

I currently have...
Thats good info and sounds very reasonable.
Do you plan on having 2 different solar systems, one for 12V and one for 24V?

Or charge 12V from 24V with a B2B charger? (i like this idea)

two batteries in series for a 24 V and adding to 5 kWh 24 V lithium batteries and an all in one controller for the system.
The only gotcha is that value priced AIO's use a LOT of standby power.
If you are in this for the long haul and want years of reliable solar power, now is the time to invest in quality equipment, whether its AIO or separate SCC and inverter). With that big generator on back (or is that a margarita machine?), an AIO that accepts generator (and shore power?) would be clean.

If you have the budget and want carefree power and 5yr warranty, something nice like:

Corrected to 120V unit:

Actually not a AIO you'd need an SCC too so maybe some has a recommended AIO?

Last edited:
I currently have 3-12.8 V 200 amp hour, lithium batteries and I understand three parallel is about the limit. i’m looking at using one battery with my current system to run my 12 V appliances and using the other two batteries in series for a 24 V and adding to 5 kWh 24 V lithium batteries and an all in one controller for the system.
A PWM controller does not do voltage conversion. It basically just connects the panels directly to the battery, switching on and off rapidly to prevent overcharging. So your panels are effectively getting pulled down to ~15V and your total charging power is in the ballpark of 4 panels * 14V * 9A = 504W.

A 24V battery should roughly double your charging power. I don't think those panels in parallel can charge a 48V battery, except perhaps on cold days. 2S2P panels could charge a 48V battery, but as mentioned above might exceed your PWM's max voltage on cold days.

A MPPT controller will adjust panel voltage to achieve maximum power. Probably somewhere around 40V. On cool days with perfect sun you might get something like 4 * 40V * 9A = 1440W of panel output. A 12V MPPT would convert that to 14.4V * 100A = 1440W to charge your battery. A 24V MPPT would convert it to 28.8V * 50A, etc. These are ideal numbers, conversion costs a few percent, the sun won't usually be at full strength, warmer temps hurt panel output, etc.

I'd say your best bet with the "BSC8048" PWM SCC is a 24V battery bank. With MPPT you can choose either 12V or 24V, whichever best suits your other needs.

All-in-ones are almost always MPPT. You have to make sure the MPPT input and output specs match your needs, plus also deal with inverter specs for stuff like standby power consumption, max surge current, etc.

For those following along...

CORRECTION: OP has the 80A version of this (cannot find link, only to 30A model).

Max PV Open Circuit Voltage100V

Array and panel info? Pic shows 2 panels so assuming 370W x 2.

740W / 14.4V = 52A
Your 80A SCC is is just fine in terms of charging amps. Only concern would be if 2 panels are in series, dangerously close to 100V hard limit on input. A few degrees below freezing and array is over 100V (bad).

What does your SCC say the charging amps are when charging (full sun, batteries not full)?
The panels are parallel not Series

Thats good info and sounds very reasonable.
Do you plan on having 2 different solar systems, one for 12V and one for 24V?

Or charge 12V from 24V with a B2B charger? (i like this idea)

The only gotcha is that value priced AIO's use a LOT of standby power.
If you are in this for the long haul and want years of reliable solar power, now is the time to invest in quality equipment, whether its AIO or separate SCC and inverter). With that big generator on back (or is that a margarita machine?), an AIO that accepts generator (and shore power?) would be clean.

If you have the budget and want carefree power and 5yr warranty, something nice like:

On the back of the trailer is a big pellet grill and smoker on the back of the truck is a Honda 2000 watt standby I currently use half a gallon or so each night for A/C at the beach

On the back of the trailer is a big pellet grill and smoker on the back of the truck is a Honda 2000 watt standby I currently use half a gallon or so each night for A/C at the beach
I believe I’ll go with two separate systems the small 12 V and the larger 24 V and if the 24 V fails I can quickly switch back to my current 12 V system

Are there any AIOs that work down in the 400W PV range? With a 48Vmp you need a boost to charge a 48v battery. Alternately, are there any 12-24V AIOs?

I believe I’ll go with two separate systems the small 12 V and the larger 24 V and if the 24 V fails I can quickly switch back to my current 12 V system
SUNGOLDPOWER 3000W 24V Hybrid Solar Inverter All in One, 120Vac AC Input,120Vac AC Output, 80A MPPT Solar Charger and 40A AC Battery Charger for Off Grid Solar System(Updated) https://a.co/d/hZGOYgR
This is what I’m looking to get, thoughts? looks like I need to wire my 448 V panels and Sherry’s to comply with the PV input.

SUNGOLDPOWER 3000W 24V Hybrid Solar Inverter All in One, 120Vac AC Input,120Vac AC Output, 80A MPPT Solar Charger and 40A AC Battery Charger for Off Grid Solar System(Updated) https://a.co/d/hZGOYgR
This is what I’m looking to get, thoughts? looks like I need to wire my 448 V panels and Sherry’s to comply with the PV input.
4-48v panels in series to comply with the PV input

4-48v panels in series to comply with the PV input
370W x 4 / 28V charging = 58.8A plenty of room with an 80A SCC

The SunGoldPower is a respectable mid-range AIO from what little i know.
Looking at the AIO specs and depending on panel specs, 3 panels in series might get the operating voltage (what is the Vmp of your panels?).

>PV voltage range 120-450Vdc,

If you end up putting 4 in series, you could do a 24V to 12V charger to keep your 12V battery charged. This works well from what others have done here.

I think you're on the right track for a kickass system.

Some discussions here:

Back