diy solar

diy solar

6kw 48v system. which Growatt set up to get?

Thanks Joe! Really good to meet you guys here on this forum. I will keep everyone posted on what I do. Who knows it may
help others in the future.

Thanks Joe! Really good to meet you guys here on this forum. I will keep everyone posted on what I do. Who knows it may
help others in the future.
Forgot to mention my Westinghouse Wgen7500/9500DF generator puts out 23% harmonic Distortion ( 1 of the worst on the market) and the Growatt runs perfect off of it, really nervous the 1st time I tried it, but works great.

Ive been happy with my dual 3kw 120v units running in parallel. However mine is only 120v their function (transition from and to grid as well as charging lithium based battery's) has been great.
Hello All,
The idea of having 2 inverters is redundancy or back up instead of a single 12k unit. Needless to say, if one goes out, I still have a working unit for essential needs. I like the idea of low frequency inverters for surge power and the price per unit is more than reasonable considering the functionality these inverters provide.
As long as you keep the 2 systems separate, ie 120v critical loads and a 220v unit and the 120v side of the 220v unit doesn't "blend" with the other 120v you should be fine. (you cant mix AC power that hasn't been adjusted to be in phase with each other, bad things happen)

Thanks schmism, yes I know of the out of phase phase dangers when mixing two separate power sources. I will
consult an electrician before I do anything. Thanks for reminding me. It is VERY important!

does the growwatt inverter bond neutral? Looking at the manual it looks like you only bring in the hot legs, but you output hot and neutral. If so how do you manage the necessary neutral switchover? It also looked like you could output either 240, or one leg of 120, but not both legs hot + neutral. is that the case?

Last edited:
does the growwatt inverter bond neutral? Looking at the manual it looks like you only bring in the hot legs, but you output hot and neutral. If so how do you manage the necessary neutral switchover? It also looked like you could output either 240, or one leg of 120, but not both legs hot + neutral. is that the case?
Which Growatt do you have - they come many different configurations, My SPF-6000T-SPM is a Low frequency split-phase 6k - 48v - 80a model, it has 240v out of 75lbs transformer and only accepts 150vdc solar input, Joe.

Which Growatt do you have - they come many different configurations, My SPF-6000T-SPM is a Low frequency split-phase 6k - 48v - 80a model, it has 240v out of 75lbs transformer and only accepts 150vdc solar input, Joe.
None yet until I understand the archetect a bit better. this thread appeared dedicated to the SPF-6000T-DVM, and that’s the manual I perused. So how do you handle neutral to ground bonding? is the growatt unbounded so you can rely on the bond at the main service panel, or is it bonded. If so does it switch the neutral or do you have it wired to a dedicated panel?

Thanks for the link to the wiring diagram Joe...that cleared up my questions as well. The Growatt solves a lot of problems for me and simplifies everything since I'm only concerned with using it as a UPS and not solar.

Thanks for the link to the wiring diagram Joe...that cleared up my questions as well. The Growatt solves a lot of problems for me and simplifies everything since I'm only concerned with using it as a UPS and not solar.
Great, love mine, it was monumental getting here, thankyou covid for letting me sit a home for a year, was traveling the last 17 years - 75% of the time - no more, hit like on the post that helped you, raises my points, pm me anytime, Joe.

Great, love mine, it was monumental getting here, thankyou covid for letting me sit a home for a year, was traveling the last 17 years - 75% of the time - no more, hit like on the post that helped you, raises my points, pm me anytime, Joe.

The Growatt has been in service a few months now. I started getting Fan Lock errors and their support team supplied a link to a firmware update. The installation of the code was painless and solved the issue. I'm in the process of adding a second battery string and the Growatt has been so good, next summer plan to get some solar panels and let it start replacing some of the power I use from my grid tie system. Pennsylvania has net metering so I'll get paid for the power I don't use.

I was a road warrior for most of the last 35 years. Although I was starting to work from home more before covid, the lockdowns firmed up my position and I'm quite happy now finishing the last few years of my career in my home office.

I'm looking at the 6000t to run 2 16K Btu marine air units, a marine holding plate compressor, and other smaller loads. What is the maximum output per leg of 120V? Do both legs need to be load balanced?

I'm looking at the 6000t to run 2 16K Btu marine air units, a marine holding plate compressor, and other smaller loads. What is the maximum output per leg of 120V? Do both legs need to be load balanced?
It's going to be 3000w per leg at 120v per leg. If you're running 240v ac loads they would need to be balanced if you exceed 3000w on either leg. If not 240v, balanced is still preferred

If you can wait 6months I might be able to report back. I got the 5000es and the 6000dvt. Still waiting on batteries and labor(mine).

This is the 6kw, which i own and Love, Joe.
It is HEAVY - 100 lbs, fan a little loud during heavy load, but gets her done.
What is the idle/no load consumption? I’m looking at that inverter but I wonder the consumption overnight with only small load

Back