diy solar

diy solar

Adding storage to my Enphase system

Yes, there is the idle current, the conversion efficiency, the fans, and even the gateway that are powered off the DC bus. Also the idle current of the Victron charge controller and the 3 BMS units. They all draw some power from the battery bank 24/7.

I just checked on my system at 11 am today.
The Victron system is still an hour before peak power, and it's 2 hours before peak power on the Enphase panels. The Victron charge controller is cranking out 23 amps into the batteries. The Enphase system is running all the loads in my house and still has 42 amps going into the battery through the XW-Pro. That makes the total charge current at 65 amps. At 55.5 volts it's over 3,600 watts of charge power. The battery only got down to 52 volts over night, and it's charging back up fast, it will be full pretty quick today. It's up to 60 degrees out, so the furnace won't even need to run much. The high today is 71, but the panels are still fairly cool as it was down to 42 overnight, but I am sure they are heating up now.

It's nice to have some "normal" So Cal weather. But then we have clouds tomorrow, and another band of rain coming in for the weekend.

Nice setup.

Is it feasible to add some solar panels that are mounted vertically on a west facing wall so that you are producing later in the day - during peak power demand ?

There are a lot of trees to my west, so I start getting shadows on my lower roof around 5 or 6 pm even in the summer. My upper roof does pretty good, the south facing side of my house is rotated about 20 degrees west so me peak power in the summer is already pushed an hour later. The west walls of my house are 20 degrees to the north, not good.

I actually turned my DC panels towards correct true south. Since all of their power goes straight into the battery, I just want to pull maximum power. Turning them west would just face them into the evening shadows. 2 of the trees are mine, and I am thinking of getting them chopped down, but they want over $1,000 each to remove them.

My back yard is not great in the winter, but I do okay since my load is less then. But in the summer, I get great sun in the back yard. I am thinking of building an oversized shed or gazebo with a solar panel roof. I can probably fit 6 300-400 watt panels on that with the same south +20 degrees west like the house roof panels. Torn between putting them on grid tie or more DC production. I will watch what my system does this summer. To completely cover my summer production, I will probably need a bit more battery capacity. I can discharge the bank a bit lower, but I don't want to stress the cells, and I want to keep some reserve in case of a night time grid power outage. I currently leave about 40% when the inverter would shut down and revert to grid power.

You can do grid tied DC. That's what I'm planning to add to
Obviously, it has to get to AC at some point to tie to the AC grid, but there are quite a few different ways to get there.

A string type inverter would be a DC solar panel array feeding to a common single inverter. This is how most systems were before microinverters became reliable.

Do you want storage in the system?

If you do, then then I would suggest a hybrid system or "all in one". If I was starting from scratch, I would certainly look into something like the EG4 18K-PV or a Sol-Ark. Either of them will take a DC array, manage battery charging/discharging, and invert to AC with both grid export and off grid backup, all in a single box.

But with what I already have, I do like the Schneider XW-Pro inverter. But to get the same functionality, you need at least 3 devices. The XW-Pro, an "Insight" box to manage it, and an MPPT solar charge controller. There are advantages and disadvantages to the "All in One" vs the "Stack of Boxes" systems. If any part of an all in one fails, can it be serviced, or is it replacing everything? With the Schneider system, each component is separate, a failed MPPT charge controller has no effect on the XW-Pro inverter. But to match the capability, the cost adds up. The 18K-PV has 3 MPPT inputs at 6,000 watts each, that would be 3 expensive Schneider MPPT units. And the inverter is 12,000 watts, that is nearly two XW-Pro inverters. The built in transfer switch is 200 amps, the one in the XW can only do 70 amps, so triple again. The cost of the one box seems high, but to match it with the separates, adds up to more.

On the other hand, I also really like the Enphase microinverters. They provide all the UL protections for rapid shut down and arc stop along with per panel optimization. That requires an extra box at each panel with a DC string system. And the panel to AC line efficiency is hard to beat when the sun is shining. But for evening power, having to convert back to DC to a battery, and then back to AC again, makes it far less efficient. My current system is 4,800 watts of panels on microinverters and 2,000 watts on a DC charge controller. I would like to be more like 3,600 watts of each. Use most of the microinverter produced AC while the sun is up, and have the DC panels do all of the battery charging for the power used at night.

The All in One units have an advantage here. The MPPT charge controllers and the DC-AC inverter run on a common internal bus. Power that is going from Solar directly to AC is nearly as efficient as the Enphase inverters, AND the power that is directed into the battery, comes off the DC bus, without having to be inverted, so it is also, almost as efficient as a stand along MPPT charge controller. It is hard to argue with that advantage.

The only place the all in one systems seem to fall short is the over load capability. They pretty much all use high frequency inverters. For USA split phase, it is a separate inverter for the L1 and L2 outputs. That means the 12,000 watts is only ever 6,000 watts on each leg. While it has a fairly high over current surge capability, it is typically only for a few seconds at best. A single XW is not as powerful, but it can handle 12,000 watts for over 30 seconds, and 8,500 watts for 30 minutes. And you could pull the full 6,800 watts from just one leg for a short time as well. The very large and heavy transformer in the XW acts like a great filter and flywheel for the inverter output. The high frequency inverters lack that giant inductive flywheel.

With any PV solar power system, you really do need to start at the required output. What is the total load? Peak surge load? Long term power/energy demand? You need to find an inverter that can supply what you need, then provide enough battery to run it, and finally, enough solar panel to keep it charged up. I made a fairly big mistake with my initial Grid Tied PV solar install. Since we rarely have grid failures here, I didn't plan ahead for energy storage, and I was never told I would be forced to "Time of Use" billing and believed the hype about net metering saving me 70% off my electric bills with just a grid tied system producing 70% of my annual energy bill. Yes, it produced the promised 70% of my energy, but it only cut my bills by 30%. That happened because of the higher minimum power rate, and time of use rates that all PV solar customers are pushed on to in my area. It took me a few months to catch on to what was happening. Since they put me on "annual true up", my monthly bills were just $7.00 to $12.00 and it looked like I was saving a ton of money. BUT.... At the end of the year, I got hit with a bill over $1,500 to cover the evening electricity I was still buying from the grid. I only installed 4,800 watts of panels on 3,900 watts of microinverters. It should have been more like 7,000 watts of panels to export enough during the day to cover the evening cost. But self consumption with the battery is even better.

The last 2 days were a bit interesting. The 6th was rainy and cloudy all day. My battery voltage ran low, but the weather forecast for today (the 7th) called for decent sun, so I didn't start any grid charging. When I got up for work this morning, I saw the XW-Pro was still inverting, but the battery bank was down to 50.52 volts, and the inverter shuts down at 50.5 volts, so I watched it live for a few minutes, and sure enough, I saw it stop and go into grid pass through mode. It was early, there was virtually no direct sunlight, but there was light coming over the horizon. After just about 4 or 5 minutes, the inverter kicked back on. The Victron charge controller was already pushing over 3 amps of charge current, even though the Enphase panels were still asleep. The battery voltage recovered enough that it ran the inverter for 2 minutes again, and then cycled off and it toom 4 to 5 minutes and it came back on again. It shut down from low voltage about 20 times in just under 2.5 hours. Shortly before 6 am, the Enphase system did wake up for a bit. The power draw on the XW-Pro was greatly reduced because of the Enphase inverters powering more than half the load. This allowed the Victron DC charge controller to keep up as it was also producing a bit more power. This reduced load and more PV solar kept it in invert mode for over 20 minutes. It was essentially a morning "Float Mode" with the DC solar just breaking even with the loads on the inverter output.

A bit before 8 am, the sun cleared the horizon and all my panels started to make real power. 50.5 volts should be about 45% SoC on these NMC cells. The charge power ramped up with the sun and hit 54 amps from the XW (From the Enphase panels) and over 1,500 wats from my DC panels, meaning another 29 amps coming in from the Victron system. The XW hit it's bulk charge limit by 1:15 pm. The DC system alone kept charging and pushed the voltage up more still from the 56.7 cut off voltage up to 57.15 volts before clouds moved in again after 3 pm. The clouds cut the solar production nearly 80%. That lack of power from the Enphase panels caused the XW to switch back to battery inverting mode to zero the grid. Even with losing the sun over a full hour early, this was still my best production of the year, topping 22 KWHs out of the Enphase panels, and 9.07 KWHs from the Victron into the batteries. The pattern continues though. Since it was good sun in the morning to afternoon, The Enphase panels did a little better, watt for watt than the Victron. But unlike the BougeRV controller that was consistently below the prod 10% off of the Enphase system, the Victron only missed it my about 1%.

At this rate, I think my system can produce enough energy for my A/C load in the summer, but I am not completely sure it can store enough to run the load of the A/C each night all summer. I figure my options are to run the battery even lower, using more of the capacity I have, or pick up some more large NMC cells to add a bit more capacity. Once we go back into Daylight Savings Time, I will have solar covering the loads for over an hour into the high on peak rate time. At least I can start banking up energy credit with some sunny days for the next 10 days. 7 are showing as sunny, and 3 as partly cloudy. For now, I just have to track it and see where it falls. Each day the battery bank tops out, I export the rest of the Enphase extra power, but the Victron will go into float mode power limiting. It's not an easy task to make the XW export that extra power.

One trick I learned, I need to pull a little power from the grid at least one night a week to "tell" So Cal Edison that my meter is working and showing consumption. Last year, when I would go 2 full weeks with only power export, they would add that offset making me pay for power I was not actually using. Since they don't officially know I have the storage battery, they must expect me to need to draw power at night while I was actually still exporting 20 watts.

And here are the Enphase and XW battery summary screen captures for today.
Enphase-03-07-24.JPG

XW-Batt-03-07-24.JPG
In the Enphase graph, you can really see where the production fell off a cliff at 3 pm. The power graph on the Victron shows the same loss of solar input. Because of that, the system never got to absorb in the Victron, so none of the available energy was curtailed. The clouds did that for me.

In the Schneider graph, you can se where the inverter was shutting down from low battery voltage from 5 am to 7:15 am. The pair of high charge current spikes around 8 am is due to a small glitch in my PLC code. The routine that calculates the desired charge current occasionally tries to raise the current when the system is not in charge mode, so when it does then start a charge, the current is cranked up a bit and it takes a couple of 5 second cycles to dial it back down. It's not hurting anything really, but I do want to fix it. It's similar to my other issue where it keeps trying to put it back in bulk charge even though it should be in absorb mode. It's far better with my last code update, but you can still see a little voltage climb after 1 pm where it once again sent a few extra bulk charge commands. The new XW firmware is hurting me a bit here. When it stops charging, it is now accurately reporting the true battery voltage. When the voltage sags down, if my routine sees extra solar, it tells it to charge again. With the old firmware, once the voltage exceeded the bulk voltage, it would not report the voltage sag. I just need to build in a little more room for voltage droop before I will let it "re-bulk".

I still have not hit the maximum power production of my 2 solar arrays as the sun is still low, but that is by far, the fastest charge rate I have seen since I doubled the battery capacity to 720 amp hours. Though, the charge rate is still gentle for these cells. It only hit a bit over 80 amps of total charge current. Only about 0.12 C rate, on cells rated for full 1C charge rate. The battery temp still did not exceed 3 degrees C over the air temp in my garage.

This morning, before the sun came up, the battery barely dipped below 52 volts. The lowest I see on the graph, under load was 51.65 volts around 7:30 am. But then the voltage starts rising as the DC system starts pushing power and the Enphase inverters start taking load off the batteries. The battery bank hit the XW bulk cut off voltage before 11:45 am. Charge rate again topped 73 amps, but the battery was not drained as low since we also had good sun yesterday. I am exporting a bunch now. I am showing nearly 3 KW going out to the grid. And that is after covering all the loads in my home, and the DC system pushing 1,500 watts into the batteries. Spring is here! I just checked on the Li NMC charge curve. The batteries only got down to 3.69 volts per cell while under a small load. That works out to about 50% to 55% SoC. It's already back up to 57.1 volts or 4.08 per cell. That is up to over 85% SoC in under 4 hours. I only used 30% capacity over night. Only 10.8 KWHs used. It sure helps when the A/C does not need to run, and the furnace didn't even run that much. The XW-Pro is claiming it charged 6.5 KWHs into the battery today. The Victron charge controller is claiming it has already pushed in 6.21 KWHs. That would be 12.7 KWHs. I know that using just voltage for State of Charge is not super accurate, but it does look like my battery bank capacity might be more than the LG label. I was always concerned it might be the other way, but I very happy to see I am pushing and pulling MORE energy for a smaller voltage change than expected. Calling my Battery Bank 36 KWHs seems very safe from what I am seeing. At these low charge/discharge rates, I am petty sure it would measure more than that.

With the new firmware in the XW-Pro, the battery voltage graph actually makes sense. When the load changes, I can see the voltage change with it. Tonight I microwaved a meal and decided to do a little math. It's not really a huge load for my system, but the load before and after running the microwave was consistently low, drawing just 18 amps from the battery bank. When the microwave was running, the batter load went up to 50.87 amps. That is a change of 32.72 amps, with the battery voltage dropping from 57.33 down to 57.03 volts. That being a drop of just 0.30 volts. Doing a little math, that means the battery cells, BMS units wiring and fuses all added together only has an effective resistance of just 0.0092 ohms. Yes, 9.2 milliohms. That is way better than I was expecting. Of course, I am running 12 cells and 3 BMS units in parallel. That certainly helps.

I wanted to get this benchmark done as I am working on finally installing my new DC power distribution panel. Here are some pics in progress.

IMG_4720.jpg
IMG_4721.jpg
I am really curious if the total system resistance is going to be worse. Those breakers are not UL listed, but they are CE tested to open safely under 6,000 amps at 4,000 volts of DC. I was shocked to see that rating on a non polarized breaker, meaning they are not using magnets to break the arc. But there is also a Class T fuse in the line if these fail to open in a bad situation. The breakers on te left are 125 amps for each battery cabinet, and the breaker on the right is 50 amps for the solar charge controller. The junction blocks are rated for 250 amps. It is a huge block of nickel plated bronze. The main cables to the inverter are 2/0 with #2 to each battery breakers, it's all that would fit in the 125 amp breaker. The charge controller wire is all #6.

And for curiosity, I wanted to be sure the measured current made sense. 57.03 volts x 32.72 amps = 1,866 watts. The battery load increased by 1,866 wats just to run the microwave oven. The back of the oven says 1.6 KW. But that is AC after the inverter. That would mean the inverter is only 86% efficient. That's not great. I can't find my Kill-O-Watt to check how accurate that power draw on the over is, and, the battery power increase is also not directly powering the oven alone. My PLC measures the power used by the house, and adjusts the inverter "Grid Sell" current to keep the grid energy exporting about 20 watts. It very well could over shoot a bit. That fact it is this close is actually pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpg
    IMG_4719.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3
The junction blocks are rated for 250 amps. It is a huge block of nickel plated bronze.
I like the junction boxes. At the time I built my system I didn't know about these. They look cool and easy to install.

Mine are just big copper bars. They live the big grey boxes under the batteries. You have to use cable lugs and bolts to attach everything. They work fine, but it was a lot of work to hook everything up.

Loving this sunny weather. The XW was topped up by 11:20 again, and the Victron went into absorb around 2 pm. The current is tapering off, but at 2:16 it is still pushing 14.8 amps, nearly 900 watts. So it is losing some energy, but not a whole lot.

Here is the Enphase production from yesterday.
Enphase-03-08-24.JPG
23.8 KWHs is my best so far his year. Here is what the XW did.
XW-Batt-03-08-24.JPG
And here is what So Cal Edison saw on their end.
You can certainly see where it stopped charging, but the battery voltage kept climbing from the Victron DC charge controller.
SCE-03-08-24.JPG
Not sure what was going on at 6am. I never saw my power meter go to importing power, I was always exporting. But at least it's not the 60 watt offset they were doing to me all night last year. This was only about 2 hours total.

So far, it looks like the system is working great. With the few bad days we had this billing period, it is estimating my bill will be just a few dollars, but I think it may zeo out. I am at a net 1 KWH per day of export on average. 8 more days to the end of the next billing month.

Can I get a link to those junction blocks?

I'm glad the update fixed your battery voltage issue, I was wondering why I hadn't seen my do that. It's because I've been on newer firmwares.

Can I get a link to those junction blocks?

I'm glad the update fixed your battery voltage issue, I was wondering why I hadn't seen my do that. It's because I've been on newer firmwares.

Here is the Amazon listing. I am using 2 of these, they dove tail to lock to each other side by side on a din rail.

The one large hole on top looks like it might even take to a 4/0 wire. It is labeled for a 120 mm2 cable. I am using 2/0 and it has room to spare. The insulation fit in the hole.

The wires sizes are for metric, of course.

The two largest holes on the bottom side are a tick smaller than I would like. Marked as 35 mm2. The #2 wires were a snug fit. A #1 with thinner insulation might work, but that's it. Then the next 5 smaller holes marked 16 mm2 hold a #6 with some room, a #4 might go. And then the last 4 holes marked 10 mm2 hold a #8 with a little room.

I am not a huge fan of the set screw on the wire, so I am using these on all of the wires.

They are actually very good quality. Truly silver plated copper. Find the one that just fits on the wire, don't bother crimping it, let the set screw crush it down on the wires. Keep the screw from breaking strands. They are actually labeled with the same metric wires sizes and fit snug in the terminal block.

When I got up this morning, I checked on my battery status as it might be a bit cloudy. Well, That's not right!
The battery voltage was still over 55 volts at 5:30 am. It was not much higher at midnight last night. When I opened the battery summary, it's pretty obvious what happened, but Why? At 12:17 am, the XW started a bulk charge cycle, at 35 amps. It topped up the battery to 56.6 volts at 1:44 am. That's 1.5 hours at 35 amps, averaging 56.2 volts = about 3 KWHs. And sure enough, the Energy page shows 3 KWHs charge so far today.

A few times in the past, I did see it start a charge cycle, and each time, there was a grid disconnect, and it went into charge when it re-connected. This time, there is no event entry in the XW since Dec 19th, 3 months ago.

My guess is that the PLC sent the command, but I don't see why it would do that. And the 35 amp setting is odd as well.

I really doubt this, but I have to think about it..... Did my utility send it a charge command? The XW does support Sun Spec control, and with the new NEM 3.0 rules, you can get a rate discount if you let them control an ESS. Is it possible that they have been seeing my storage system activity and decided to try and see if I had one by sending it a command?

Time change?
I don't think that was it. I had already changed the clock in the PLC and the XW/Gateway auto updated on Sunday.

The system fully charged again at 11 am. I exported a ton back to the grid.

I spent a couple hours today cleaning up the DC wiring. It is now in conduit from the combiner box and through the wall, and I upped the wire from the combiner to the Victron to #6 awg. I also completed the ground circuit properly. No real change in function, but it sure looks better now. I still have to finish it up on the roof, and move the DC lines into the new breaker panel, but I am done for today. Boring the 1.5 inch hole in the Stucco was a major pain. But I bought a carbide tipped hole saw and it was so much better than when I did the last ones. The connector goes out the back of the box, so I needed the hole to clear the OD of a 1" connector. The pipe coming down from the combiner to the pass through box also needed a section of flex to bump over the horizontal 3/4 inch pipe from the Enphase system. It's a busy section of wall.

I try to get a few pics of the cleaned up install later.

A few times in the past, I did see it start a charge cycle, and each time, there was a grid disconnect, and it went into charge when it re-connected. This time, there is no event entry in the XW since Dec 19th, 3 months ago.
I have a trace from about a week ago. I have no idea why it decided to launch 4 charge cycles in a row. It's not supposed to charge until it hits 53 volts. Unfortunately, it won't let me upload it. Says it is too big. It's just a pdf printout of a Schneider chart. It hasn't happened again since then. I also checked on my events log and there is nothing there for that day.

Here are the pics of the DC wiring I cleaned up the other day.
IMG_4748.jpgIMG_4749.jpg
Getting the flex piece to bump around the other conduit was a real pain. I ended up warming it with a propane torch, doing the bend, and cooling it in water. The 2 #10 ground wires are from the Victron charge controller and the lightning surge suppressors in the combiner box. The #12 is from the grounding block for the cable internet feed. The right pic is the first ground rod, and then it goes out of frame to the right to the second ground rod. The painted flex is the ground wire to my main panel. I just added second clamps to the ground rods to keep the main panel ground untouched. The DC solar wires go out the back of the lower grey box through the wall. Here is the inside image.
IMG_4750.jpg
I will put a box on this end as well. The pipe is not glued into the fitting yet, so I can pull it out and cut to length if needed. The output wires from the Victron are still the temp #8 cables going to the battery bank. I will be running new #6 when I wire it into the new DC breaker panel.
IMG_4745.jpg The new #6 cables totally fill up the wire clamps in the Victron 150-35. It makes those #8's look small. I took this pic to make sure I didn't leave any frays sticking out that could short before I turned the PV breaker back on.

#6 from the combiner to the Victron is serious overkill. My current array maxes out at just 22 amps, but I wanted to leave room to add more panels. And I bought #6 to go from the charge controller to the DC breakers as I put a 50 amp in there. I also wanted to reduce the voltage drop from the battery bank to the Victron as it is going into Absorb a little early with the voltage drop from the 10 foot run of #8 wire in there now.

I knew I was going to top up the battery, so it was a good day to do this. I was able to turn off the DC system as I re-routed the cables and moved the charge controller etc. The XW charging form the Enphase system had already gone to No Float. When I hit the DC solar breaker bank on, it went right to 1,500 watts and hit absorb by 2pm while I was still cleaning up. I also set the "re bulk" offset down to just 0.2 volts so when the XW inverter starts pulling current from the battery, it goes back into bulk mode faster. We had some clouds move over around 2:50, so the Enphase was not making enough to run the house. The XW went to grid sell and covered the load, and that put the Victron back into bulk charge as expected. As the clouds cleared, the battery topped up again from the DC system while the XW went back into pass through with the Enphase again powering the house and exporting to grid.

I do like the combination of DC charging and Microinverters. It is a complex setup, and certainly has some setup issues, but when it is working right, it covers all my power needs with a fairly small amount of panels.

Where I fed through a wall I was able to thread on plastic conduit bushings for finished look.
(In my case it was 3", pass-through of dryer plug and washer hoses.)

1710363694440.png

I took this pic to make sure I didn't leave any frays sticking out that could short before I turned the PV breaker back on.

Would be nice if plastic partitions stuck out further, rather than having exposed copper so close. (Breakers have that, supplementary protectors don't)

Well... It did it again.

I am getting ready for work, and wanted to check in on the battery status, and it is once again near full at 6:45 am. This time, it went into Bulk charge at 35 amps again, but this time, it did it at 4:32 am. My PLC goes into charge rate control at 6 am and it dropped it to the 7 amp minimum setting. But my current code does not stop the charge unless too much power is going to the backup loads panel. I forgot what I set that threshold to.

I just looked into my code. At least the 35 amps does make some sense. While it is charging during the day, if the battery voltage goes over 56.4 volts, I have it limit the charge rate to 25%, which works out to 35 amps. 25% (140 amps) So the PLC is not running the set charge current routine, as the lower voltage would result in it being able to go to 70% or 98 amps.

So I am really thinking this has to be some kind of external command causing this. Too bad the Schneider gear does not keep a log of commands. This is not costing me too much as this energy usage is being offset by more export later in the day. The 2 days it has happened so far have easily been covered by later production. The early am rat is just 3 cents more (30 cents vs 27 cents) than the super off peak rate around noon. And since the time change, I am once again exporting power into the "Mid Peak Rate" at 44 cents. Here is the graph from SCE the last time this happened.

SCE-03-12-24.JPG

It was charging at 2 KW, but it didn't do the full hour, so it shows about 4.3 KWH's used in the 3 hours. The rest was the power running my house then. When I get the data for today, I will post the XW and SCE graphs together.

I am trying to figure out if it is the utility controlling it. With the new firmware, there is an entry I don't remember.

"Power Control System Mode" I can't see anything in there because it is asking for a password. I own this gear, why am I blocked from seeing this? Looking through the manuals, this looks like internal power limiting control, not remote control, so this is probably not it.

Last edited:
Well... It did it again.

I am getting ready for work, and wanted to check in on the battery status, and it is once again near full at 6:45 am. This time, it went into Bulk charge at 35 amps again, but this time, it did it at 4:32 am. My PLC goes into charge rate control at 6 am and it dropped it to the 7 amp minimum setting. But my current code does not stop the charge unless too much power is going to the backup loads panel. I forgot what I set that threshold to.

I just looked into my code. At least the 35 amps does make some sense. While it is charging during the day, if the battery voltage goes over 56.4 volts, I have it limit the charge rate to 25%, which works out to 35 amps. 25% (140 amps) So the PLC is not running the set charge current routine, as the lower voltage would result in it being able to go to 70% or 98 amps.

So I am really thinking this has to be some kind of external command causing this. Too bad the Schneider gear does not keep a log of commands. This is not costing me too much as this energy usage is being offset by more export later in the day. The 2 days it has happened so far have easily been covered by later production. The early am rat is just 3 cents more (30 cents vs 27 cents) than the super off peak rate around noon. And since the time change, I am once again exporting power into the "Mid Peak Rate" at 44 cents. Here is the graph from SCE the last time this happened.

View attachment 202036

It was charging at 2 KW, but it didn't do the full hour, so it shows about 4.3 KWH's used in the 3 hours. The rest was the power running my house then. When I get the data for today, I will post the XW and SCE graphs together.

I am trying to figure out if it is the utility controlling it. With the new firmware, there is an entry I don't remember.

"Power Control System Mode" I can't see anything in there because it is asking for a password. I own this gear, why am I blocked from seeing this?
It's the same grid code password as used elsewhere.
Looking through the manuals, this looks like internal power limiting control, not remote control, so this is probably not it.
I send PCS commands through modbus, I'm not sure if there's any other way to get that input.

Back