diy solar

diy solar

Another new hybrid inverter. Aims PIHY9600 660v pv input , touch screen, 15kw pv

The thought is if it will work with lead acid then it should work in open loop with diy lifepo4 packs

The issue with open loop LFP is the BMS is crazy expensive when you start getting to cell counts over 24.

Stacking BMS will end in blowing up if one disconnects and the load pulls the remaining string batteries to ground ( load ) or max charge voltage ( charging ) leaving a large differential potential the BMS can not handle. This is why the 12V batteries limit to maximum of 4 ins series.

I've been 3 years now into a UL9540 HV system ( Solis BYD ) and while there are strong advantages the low current provide, DYI batteries for high voltage just are not affordable since there are only a couple of options on BMS and then it is similar cost to use full UL9540 solutions, like BYD , Pylontech and the like.

Surprised no one noticed this part:

View attachment 176478
So use an EV battery pack at 380vDC? problem solved??
The thought is if it will work with lead acid then it should work in open loop with diy lifepo4 packs
but use the EV battery instead of trying to DIY a high voltage pack from cells,
The issue with open loop LFP is the BMS is crazy expensive when you start getting to cell counts over 24.
Avoid this cost using 380v EV battery pack which has it's own BMS built in?
Stacking BMS will end in blowing up if one disconnects and the load pulls the remaining string batteries to ground ( load ) or max charge voltage ( charging ) leaving a large differential potential the BMS can not handle. This is why the 12V batteries limit to maximum of 4 ins series.
No stacking needed ? Parallel identical EV packs?

good catch I'm more interested in consumption under low load. I could have rephrased that better and I apologize. I am off grid and when away 95% of the time I was wondering what I would burn running Starlink and a couple of Ring cameras. Right now I am burning 100-200 watts using a SW 4024. Load is 37-140w and without heating option I average about 100-115 watts all in. 200w when heating and that is only when auto heat kicks in. I am looking for an efficient low draw system and I just received a 6000xp for its low idle consumption and will report my findings. This is just in the testing phases and I am open to other options as well.

good catch I'm more interested in consumption under low load. I could have rephrased that better and I apologize. I am off grid and when away 95% of the time I was wondering what I would burn running Starlink and a couple of Ring cameras. Right now I am burning 100-200 watts using a SW 4024. Load is 37-140w and without heating option I average about 100-115 watts all in. 200w when heating and that is only when auto heat kicks in. I am looking for an efficient low draw system and I just received a 6000xp for its low idle consumption and will report my findings. This is just in the testing phases and I am open to other options as well.
Seems that Victron have the low idle consumption awards, but pricy equipment to buy. Depends on your budget - low solar in Alaska half the year is a tough one to deal with any other way.

Back